Saturday, November 5, 2016

Anything But Cute Challenge #19 --Rustic Glam

Hello crafty friends and visitors! Today marks the beginning of our 19th challenge at Anything But Cute, and this time the theme is Rustic Glam chosen by our extremely talented and super fun Niki. What a fun challenge! I will give you the details on her theme in just a second, but first here is the card I made for our wonderful leader--Pamellia's birthday. It was a little late, so I went with more of a 'just because' card instead.


Here's what Niki is saying about her theme: "Create a mixed media design featuring rustic elements such as white washed wood, chicken wire, burlap, soft subtle tones and neutrals. Don't forget to add the GLAM part with some sparkle and BLING!"


I used Distress Picket Fence Crackle paint on the background layered over burlap from my stash. The lattice panel was embossed with Paper Studio embossing folder. I gilded the raised areas with  Martha Stewart foil transfer sheets, and heat embossed the edges with gold powder.


The 'chicken wire' peeking out from under the bouquet is embossed and partially fussy cut using a Stampin Up background stamp. The birds and roses were fussy cut from Tim Holtz' Wallflower paperstash.  The butterfly was cut from other paper in my stash, sparkly gum drops, twine, pearl stamens, and shimmery silk flowers are all from my stash. A Worn Lipstick paint wash colors all the panels (except my wood--oops!) and my vintage seam binding. I chose chickadees as my focal point since Pamellia has them eating out of her hand now! Pink, of course, is one of her favorite colors and the card is in a shabby style because she is the Queen of Shabby Chic cards! Oops! Perhaps a little splatter or sponging of white paint might have been a good finishing touch! Can you tell I was in a rush to get this in the mail?


The Tattered Florals are cut from the same burlap as the backing.  I brushed them with Perfect Paper Adhesive to stiffen them and stop fraying. The shimmery pink flower peeking out is a Martha Stewart sticker. A Chit Chat sticker stands in for the sentiment.







Here's how I did it...
I was inspired by Jennie of Live the Dream and her beautiful rustic/vintage plaque to make these wood grain panels. I don't have the Infusions that she uses, but it was my guess that my new Ken Oliver's Color Bursts would achieve a similar effect. I was so pleased it did! I started with Ranger manila card, and brushed on Faber Castell Glaze. I've had this stuff for ages and never knew what to do with it--I have to say the stuff stinks--possibly because it's so old! While the glaze was still wet, I sprinkled lightly with Burnt Umber Color Burst and brushed it with additional glaze on my brush. Be sure to use the Color Bursts sparingly;  a tiny bit goes a long way!

I cut my panel into strips and glued them to additional card, distressed and inked the edges with Ground Expresso. For the black/blue panel I made for another project here, I did the same technique using Black Lamp Color Burst. To get the sparkle, I  went back with my brush still wet with glaze, dipped it in Prima's Art Sugar and swiped that over the card. Love the spooky look!



Please stop by Anything But Cute to see what my amazing teamies have created to inspire you to join our Rustic Glam challenge this month. I hope you will dig out your burlap and wood and bling and come join us--you have until the 4th of December!

I would like to enter this into the following inspiring challenges:
A Vintage Journey-November Challenge-Cracking Up!
-Scrapy Land Challenge #53-Anything Goes I used Sizzix Tattered Florals.
-Dies R Us Challenge #60-Thankful for Nature I used Tattered Florals die and I chose Nature-birds/butterflies.
-Mod Squad Challenge Go for the Gold!Gold foiling and gold embossing, mostly covered up, unfortunately.
Creative Artiste' Challenge #20- "Anything Mixed Media Goes"

Thank you for dropping in today and for all your lovely comments! I read and appreciate each and every one of them!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily
UPDATE: Yippee!!!

29 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous shabby chic card, Sara Emily - I love the colours and that ribbon is stunning. Beautiful crackle in the background too - thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly LOVELY and FUN Rustic Glam Sara. You really hit it out of the park with all your intricate little rustic pieces and glamorous pieced perfectly placed. It's a BEAUTIFUL creation. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your faux wood is astonishly realistic, the crackle background is gorgeous and I adore the little chickadees! I love those gorgeous flowers and your bow is just luscious - I just love everything about this beautiful card - I don't think you could have created anything better for Pamellia! Wonderful work my friend! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors texture and dimension on this card. Thanks for sharing it with us at Dies R Us Challenge Blog. We hope to see more of your entries in future challenges.
    Kathy
    DRU DT A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of texture and wonderful things on this card. I could look at it for hours and find mew things to see. It is a stunning Vintage card. Thanks for joining us at The Mod Squad this week.
    Barbara Mod Squad Host

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so absolutely stunning, Sara Emily!! That faux wood looks amazing!! I'm so going to try that!! The crackle is spectacular!! I love the beautiful birdies and the ribbon and every amazing detail!! What an absolutely gorgeous card for Pamellia!! I love, love it!! Thank you so much for playing along at Scrapy Land!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so very pretty Sara - I love the delicate pink - wonderful! Hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have more wins than Carter has Little Liver Pills! If anyone should know about Southern Glam you should and it is hard to go anywhere in the South and not see something rusty!!!! Your wood looks real! Crackle, crackle we all love crackle and the Chickadee is my favorite little bird. They are so sweet. Love your card Sugar!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I'll be tickled pink and so will Bubbles! This card is super duper awesome sauce and so rustic glam! That crackle sure turned out swell dearie! All of your added tidbits to the front are so gorgeous and stunning! The little birds add a lovely touch of whimsy and are so perfect for Bubbles! Wowzers on the use of the chicken wire stamping! I thought it was real! Hehe! Now for that wood grain background! I understand the color burst but not the smelly stuff. Did the bristles from the brush leave the grain look? And then the color burst "bled" into the crevices? It is fantabulous and those bursts look like fun! Hot diggity! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Punkin'! I'm glad you asked! I hope I can explain it better... I sprinkled the Color Burst powder randomly on the wet glaze that was already brushed on the card. Then, with more glaze on my brush, I brushed over the wet, sprinkled surface again in vertical lines. This draws out the color to make the lines or 'grain' of the wood. I just brushed until I was happy that it looked like 'wood'. I hope this makes sense. :):)

      Delete
    2. Oh! That makes sense. I get it now. Thanks for the clarification dearie. And now the color bursts are on my wish list. Hugz!

      Delete
  10. Oh my, Sara, this is such a perfect card for our dear friend Pamellia! You put so much love in creating this absolutely stunning rustic glam birthday card! Your crackles are super cool, those birds are fabulous and that vintage seam binding bow is simply fantastic! Thank you so much for that amazing wood grain technique, I am going to try that since the result looks so real and fabulous! It's beyond stunning, my friend, as all you do in crafting! Sending all my hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Sara, I don't think there's enough time in the day for me to tell you how many things I love about my birthday card!! Chickadees, oh my gosh, aren't they just the sweetest creatures, I love that you included those! I was in pink heaven when I opened your package, like a cotton candy dream! Your shabby ribbon turned out so well, and I love the work you did with the lattice and the chicken wire, so rustic and beautiful!! I also love that included my very favourite quote too, the one I use on my blog banner, it's so very true, isn't it!! Your bling is delicious, the flowers are amazing, and the textures are just wonderful!! I am honoured at how much thought and love went into this beauty and I will truly treasure it forever!! Thank you my friend for being so talented and so kind, I'm a lucky girl! sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is texture-rific... the crackled pink paint has me dying! I'm sure P will treasure this forever! (Of course, the chickadees... love!) Great work... must have been great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just so beautiful and I love the crackled pink background and that bow...wow, it looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, delicate with a hint of vintage, card !!! very like)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I just love the sentiment sticker and how it ties into Pamellia's blog name, such a sweet detail on this all together lovely make! Those pinks work beautifully with your gorgeous woodgrain. I love that you created it with Color Burst, how cool. I've seen this technique and always forget about it - doh! Really love your take on Rustic Glam, it is perfect. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliantly designed and constucted Sara, I love all the textured elements, the panel and crackle go so well together and finished with those gorgeous embellishments - wow. What a wonderful card for Pamellia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara Emily, such a pretty card for Pamelia!
    I love the delicateness of the pale pink you used! I am sure she will adore it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous card. Love the layers especially the big bow. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge! Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunningly beautiful card! I love all the different textures you used to make this beauty! The birds are so pretty and I love the texture of your flowers! Thanks for joining us at Scrapy Land Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Sara Emily!!

    I've been missing your creations and couldn't wait to stop by your blog. I'm so happy I did because I wouldn't have wanted to miss this stunner! I've lost count of the layers of perfection you put into this marvelous creation. The background is gorgeous. The textural elements are amazing. And I love, love, love the birds--and so will Pamellia! I'm sure you've seen her lovely wildlife photography. She is a bird and squirrel whisperer-lol. Sorry I've been away so long. I broke my arm and am only just now able to type again.

    Hugs,

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful card, Sara Emily! I would never have thought to use pink for a rustic glam project, but it's gorgeous! I love all of your layers and your wood grain turned out beautifully - looks so real! Love the pink crackle and all of the embellies and beautiful bow - a fabulous birthday card for a good friend who will treasure it. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning Sara and I bet Pamellia loved it to pieces! This is just beautifully put together! So many different elements and yet they make a perfect whole!

    Thank you of course for adding it to our challenge at AVJ.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful assemblage! So many details to look at. Thank you for joining us at the Creative Artiste Mixed Media Anything Goes Challenge. Good luck! Love Denyse (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oodles of charm, soft touches and overall beauty. Love the layers of texture! Thank you for playing along in the "What the Mesh" challenge at Frilly and Funkie this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous !
    Thanks for joining us at Scrapyland Challenge blog and Good Luck !
    Maryvonne – DT member

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, that shabby chic bow is anything BUT a mesh! LOL This is so pretty, Sara Emily, and I love all the wonderful layers of rustic texture you included here. Thanks for joining the fun and sharing it with us at the Frilly and Funkie "What a Mesh" challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.