Thursday, December 17, 2015

Guest Designer for A Vintage Journey Vintage - Christmas Assemblage Clock

Hello everyone!  I'm thrilled and honored to be Guest Designer at A Vintage Journey today for Annie's challenge Vintage Christmas. Instead of looking for inspiration from Tim Holtz, it found me!  One of his Assemblage Clocks stashed away for a special project fell off my shelf when I was looking through my stash. Since I made a Christmas clock for my family last year, I decided why not start a tradition, so here is my Christmas 2015 version.


It all started in the usual way with a coat of gesso, adding a generous heaping of Crackle paste, then coloring with  Distress paints and inks in blues, Picket Fence and Ground Expresso. I added DecoArt Snow Writer and Glamour Dust and some sparkly flakes from my stash to add a little frosty look. I added some paste through Tim's Layering stencil on the back. In the photo below you can see how I stamped some trees on the inner wall using Tim's old Merry Christmas image. I inked it in Jet Black Archival and added a little Glamour Dust.  Impossible to capture with my little phone camera, but in real life it just sparkles like sun shining on new snow!




My winter scene centers around Tim's Woodland tree and dies, as well as a couple of deer I found at a yardsale.  Passed over by everyone, because of a broken ear, I knew I could give them a good home. I cut my tree and colored them with Distress paints. Then I went back and salvaged all those tiny bits that come out and you throw in the trash.  I added Snow Writer and Glamour Dust to the tipsof them and of the branches of the trees. When they were dry, and my background was done and trees positioned, I carefully laid those tiny pieces back in the negative spaces. What a job, but so worth the effort, don't you think?





 That snowy background was created with Distress paints and Frantage, and the trees were stamped once again. Below you can see my sweet little deer resting in their cozy snowy nest. The Woodland tree is colored with Distress spray in Evengreen Bough--how fitting.  I added some snow using my Snow Writer, Glamour Dust and some sparkly flakes.




To make my topper, I used a few of Tim's Sizzix dies: Tattered Poinsettia, Tattered Pinecone, Festive Greenery and Handwritten Holidays, all by Sizzix. I cut the poinsettias and colored them with Distress ink, then embossed them with the poinsettia Texture Fade. I added Stickles to the centers.  I colored a few leaves with Brushed Pewter Distress paint and sprinkled with rock Candy Distress glitter. The foliage was colored with Distress ink and heat embossed with Stampin' Up Winter Wonderland powder. I added a few grapevines from my garden and heat embossed Merry Christmas with Ranger embossing tinsel. I adhered the sentiment to a piece of clear waste packaging and added it to my spray.





Here's another look at my completed vintage Christmas Clock.




 I would like to enter this in the following inspiring challenges:
Mixed Media World MMW # 10 Inspirational Image I chose a few of the colors from the inspiration image and added a few of my own.
Scrapy Land Challenges #32 Holidays  I used 5 different Sizzix dies.
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Just a Pinch I used just a pinch of my sparkly flakes and a pinch of red embossing tinsel!
Thank you for stopping by today and for all your wonderful comments!  They really make my day!
Hugs and Christmas Blessings!
Sara Emily

HONORED!!!!
Top 3  

36 comments:

  1. OMG, Sara, you have outdone yourself with this super cool assemblage clock! It's wonderful, amazing, marvelous, fantastic! What a brilliant winter scene you created! I am so impressed by your talent! I am keep staring at this absolutely stunning piece of art!
    Lots of love to you, my friend! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Christmas project. Thank you for sharing ot at Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, this is spectacular! It is a Christmas masterpiece, with every detail so beautifully done. You are so inspiring. Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot... it is so well-deserved. :o) I have missed your works of art and am so happy to be visiting you tonight. Have a lovely weekend. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! WOW! Thanks for joining us for our Tis the Season Around the World Emerald Creek Dares Challenge

    Karon DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, I had to pop in to say this is such an awesome project! I'm flagging it for an ornament craft for next year. So Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what a neat tradition you have started.... with the clocks. This one is just gorgeous Sara. Peaceful and sweet! j.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, well... you certainly know how to mixed media the sh*t out of anything you touch! Sorry... had to be said!

    LOVE this so much! There is just so much to look at I am going to have to pin it ;) It's always such a pleasure to pop in here and see what you've created and shared. Thanks for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares Challenge Blog. Cheers, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and congrats on your Guest spot on AVJ... I meant to say that because I saw this over there first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara Emily, all this yummy shimmery texture just thrills me! What a fabulous new tradition for your family. The details on this project are so lovely and the deer are the most precious! What a great focal point! It's been a super busy day for you and you've really outdone yourself with two GDT spots! WOW! You too, my friend, have been such a big inspiration to me during my first few months of blogging and I look forward to many years of sharing to come! Christmas hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning creation, Sara! I love, love, love how you created the depth in the background. Replacing the cut outs into the negative spaces of the die cut tree is clever & totally worth it! The effect is extraordinary!
    Thank you for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares for our Celebrations Around The World.
    {julia} Emerald Creek DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful winter scene both inside and outside your clock! Love the sweet deer nestled in the snow by the trees and the beautiful florals and greenery on the top! Congrats on being a Guest Creative Guide on AVJ - you are such a great supporter of the blog! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, this is absolutely stunning!! Thank you for joining us at Fussy and Fancy, good luck and I hope you will join us again.
    Hugs
    Gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have created an absolutely wonderful winter woodland scene Sara inside your fabulously textured and adorned assemblage clock. Thank you so much for sharing how you created this beauty highlighting all those special touches . Congratulations on your GD spot at AVJ and for joining in the fun . x

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely project - beautiful!
    Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH wow! Gorgeous!!! I love it!
    Thank for for joining us!

    DT Crafty Enjoyments

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful to have you with us at A Vintage Journey this month - and your project is an absolute knockout, thank you!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Huge congrats on your guest spot at AVJ! You are totally rockin out the posts this month. Dang girlie! You know I am fond of these assemblage clocks (skeletons anyone?) and your use of the passed over little deer warms my heart! They look so comfortable in their new home! This is gorgeous and awesome sauce! I bet your family will totally smile when they see this stunning design. Hugz to you muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Sara, you have been such a busy girl, I can' t keep up with you! Congrats on your guest spot!! This is just stunning and I will have to come back later and spend some time zooming in on all the fabulous details! For now, I just popped in to send you big hugs and wishes for a very Merry Christmas my friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sara Emily, I saw this over on the site, and I have to tell you, this is absolutely fantastic!! So vintagey and the addition of those deer- Perfect!! I love this clock!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's lovely, Sara! Thanks for playing in the {Scrapy Land Challenge}! Hope to see your pretty projects again soon!
    crafty hugs,
    de
    {Creative Smiles}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Without question this is one fantastic make -- I need to do some of these especially for Halloween.
    Did I tell you that I am from the mountains of North Carolina! I love your closet and am always willing to ramble through!!!!
    Merry Christ Sara Emily!!
    sandy Claus xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sara what a beautiful project, love it!!!
    Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Enjoyments

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a stunning project Sara, love all the little details you've included.
    Thank you for sharing with us at TioT
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous make Sara Emily!!! You sure do put alot of work into your creations!
    Thank you so much for joining our challenge#32 at Scrapy Land!

    Samra GDT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is absolutely gorgeous! Your time and attention to detail paid off! It looks amazing! Thanks so much for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A lot of creativity went into this lovely clock. Amazing detail and beautifully put together. Thank you so much for sharing with Crafty Cardmakers and more.
    :)Pam

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh this is just so lovely, what a wonderful wonderful decoration you have created, it is just crammed with talent, techniques and time! Its beautiful! cxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful clock Sara. The depth and details are amazing! Thanks for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares.
    -Katelyn DT member at Emerald Creek

    ReplyDelete
  29. Once again Sara I am blown away by the beauty of your fabulous creations! You have excelled yourself this time! I love your little scene and those poinsettias are stunning! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! This project is amazing. Thank you for sharing details with us. Beautiful! For sure you love crafting. Thank you for taking part crafrtyenjoyments.co.uk challenge #2
    Katarzyna Ewa DT crafrtyenjoyments.co.uk

    kartkadopolski.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this Christmas project and that you are making it into a family tradition! Your clock looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge #32!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have always wanted to do one of these, but been too afraid. I love what ou have done, it is just da-bomb!! (trying to be in the hood but doesn't work for an English Country bumpkin) Anyway... :) Creating depth with 2D and 3D trees is genius and those texture poinsettia looks wicked resting across the top supporting the Merry Christmas. I'm feeling very inspired right now hun - thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. this is a fab project. very delicate looking despite the distressing.thank you for sharing it with us at FFFC and good luck, Theresa DT xx.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow this is amazing! I love the vintage look. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More.

    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Sara Just popping back to congratulate you on being chosen as one of the top three winners at CVC Create a scene challenge . So deserved and so pleased for you.
    Hugs Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.