Saturday, April 16, 2016

Guest Designer-Emerald Creek Dares-Springtime Wonder

 Hello, crafty friends! Today I'm super excited and honored to be Guest Designer again at Emerald Creek Dares!  Thank you to Kim and the lovely Design Team for allowing me to craft along side them today! I made a mixed media mini canvas featuring the Fallen Blossom stamp set, designed by Nicole Wright and available at Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.


Aren't those blossoms gorgeous? The blooms remind me of the cherry trees that are so prolific in our area. When you look down our street, you can see  these fluffy pale pink trees lining the sidewalks. I was inspired not only by these lovely stamps, but by the blooming trees I see right from my big breakfast room window. I can see so many possibilities with these stamps, and they are bound to be my go-to flower stamp!

I started by prepping my canvas with gesso, then added a Mixed Media Thinlit die cut by Tim Holtz. I gave it all another coat of gesso, and when fully dry, I added stencil work using the new Distress Crazing medium and a new Flourish mini stencil, also by Tim Holtz. I also added some random Crazing medium along the top and sides.  Be generous with this stuff, and you will be rewarded with lovely but tiny cracks! When this was completely dry, I went to work with my new Distress crayons in neutral colors--Antique Linen to start, adding Vintage Photo and Walnut stain to really highlight those cracks.


You can see in the photo above I stamped my Fallen Blossom flower image on tissue paper in Archival ink, and adhered using Multi Matte Medium. I colored the blooms with Distress inks and markers, using a water pen. I heat embossed the branch using an embossing pen and Ammo Camo embossing powder. While my technique stinks, the powder is beautiful.  You'll see most of this gets covered up anyway, so no worries on my technical skills. Note to self: be sure inks are totally dry before adding embossing.




Next, I added texture paste tinted with Peeled Paint Distress paint through the mini Flourish stencil in the bottom left corner, then moved the used stencil to the right corner and swiped a clean palette knife over that same "used" area of the stencil to get the finer detailed texture.  I repeated this same "second generation" stenciling in the upper right corner, using a different portion of the stencil.  This is a technique I discovered when I set my dirty stencil down on my craft mat; it left such a delicate flourish on my mat.

Once the paste was dry, I adhered my tissue paper stamped quote from Tim Holtz. when all was completely dry, I gave the entire canvas a coat of Distress Vintage Collage Medium.




I stamped and painted a zillion of the tiny blooms that come with the Fallen Blossom set on watercolor paper and painted them with Distress ink and marker in Worn Lipstick and fussy cut them out for days while I waited in doctor's offices, in car pool line and other dull moments. It wasn't 'til after I had them all cut out that I decided they needed to have some cracks! So I added Crazing medium to some and wiped on Distress crayon in Vintage Photo, and to others, Rock Candy Crackle paint. This would be much easier to do before cutting them out!

 On closer observation of the little pink puff balls that cover our flowering cherry trees, I noticed they have a delicate yellow center as they mature (going from that deep pink you see on some of my blooms), so I added some heat embossing to some of the centers using Easter Parade embossing powder.



No spring time scene would be complete without a fantasy butterfly, so to finish my canvas, I stamped and heat embossed a butterfly from my new Tim Holtz stamp/stencil set (sorry, I threw away the packaging (yeah, I know, right? Imagine ME throwing anything out!), so I don't know the name) using Easter Parade powder. I inked with Frayed Burlap Distress ink and fussy cut.



This is one of those projects where my poor photography just don't do it justice.  I tried taking photos both outdoors (it was a cloudy day) and indoors under my Ott light. You can see the indoor photo was taken before I was finished with the canvas and was checking the position of my fussy cuts.



I would like to enter my canvas into the following inspiring challenges:
Die Cut Divas Welcome to April  Die cut: Tim Holtz Mixed Media Thinlit  (3rd entry)
As You Like It Favorite Non-Card Project (and Why) I love little canvases because they make great gifts, used in place of a card, and are small enough to tuck into places around my home that need a little color.
The Artistic Stamper April Creative Challenge-All Things Distress I've used 7 different kinds of Distress products on my project. (That doesn't include the different colors!) (second entry)
Cut It Up Challenge #94 Spring Flowers My die cut is a Tim Holtz Mixed Media Thinlit used to add texture to the background.
Our Creative Corner Gypsy Fayre colors from the board include pink yellow green. I'm also thinking my canvas has some of the textures I see in the shot on the right of the mood board.

Thank you for dropping by today and for all your lovely comments!  I read and appreciate each and every one of them!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily


39 comments:

  1. Omg, this is so full of detail... Your days of cutting paid off!-- those flowers are adorable. And I have to say that the lower-left flourish is, like, my fave equity the combo of crackle and a touch of green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sara, what an incredible canvas!! Your texture in the background is amazing and I love how it seamlessly blends into the canvas with your vintage tones and your tissue stamping! Love that technique by the way. I was trying to figure how you stamped over top of the stencil, but duh! Love what you did with the flower stamp, you have created so much dimension, like a trail of Wisteria almost! A big huge congratulations on your guest designer spot!! They are lucky to have you on board as extra inspiration!! big hugs my friend and happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your mini canvas, Sara,
    and is so great to have you as our guest over at Emerald Creek Dares! Great, great texture and awesome use of Nicole's lovely stamps! Your canvas would also fit well with the actual challenge over at Our Creative Corner by the way ;)

    Thanks for the lovely inspiration! Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, you are such a beautiful person and it really shows through your creative works. I'm so glad our paths crossed last fall! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara Emily, your canvas is beautiful! I love all of those amazing little blossoms and your techniques are so awesome! I need to get some of that crazing medium, LOL! Your Easter Parade embossing powder is so versatile - have enjoyed seeing it in your projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!! And I love the idea of using tissue paper!! I hadn't thought of that! Thank you again for sharing so much of yourself so that we can learn new techniques and fall in love with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful art huni! I can just imagine those wonderful cherry trees along the street. I love cherry trees in blossom they are so very beautiful and you have captured them and their essence brilliantly Sara. I love your canvas. The stamp is really gorgeous and useful too Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful canvas Sara Emily -- now I have to go back and read and jot and tittle very slowly!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You slay me Sara Emily - not only do you have the perfect Southern name but you live in North Carolina too! I have gotten a little behind and am trying to catch up!!!

      Delete
  9. You did a WONDROUS display on the Fallen Blossoms Stamp Set for your GD at Emerald Creek Sara. This is just GORGEOUS. Of course, I adore the background and all that YUMMY texture and crackle with the earthy colors. And your butterfly is so unique - I love that it's so different and has such a neat texture and color. It's truly a BEAUTIFUL spring blossom creation.

    And thanks bunches for including your art work in our challenge at Our Creative Corner Sara. I have no doubt that our Gypsy Wagons road through many a row of cherry trees on their way to the Gypsy Fair!!! XXj.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still killing myself laughing... cutting those flowers out for days! Here's the thing. When I designed this set I knew this would be an issue... one that I myself don't like. However, I knew that the effort put forward and a handy pair of snips it would be worth it.

    You have created the most stunning canvas. All the details, stencils, stamping, cutting, inking and crazing is worth it. I love this whole thing and I am beyond delighted to see such talent with my stamps. I am so honored you have created with them. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, this is stunning, Sara Emily!! Wow!! What an amazing canvas!! I love, love the crackle!! It looks so fabulous!! The details and colors are so beautiful!! The flowers are gorgeous!! This is spectacular my friend!! Congratulations on your so-deserved GD spot!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely canvas . The texture in the background is a lovely touch and I love how you used the blossom . Tracy x X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely knew this STUNNING piece had to be yours! You are a girl after my own heart fussy cutting all those flowers and boy oh boy is it worth it!!! LOVE the crazing, LOVE the composition, LOVE the clever use of the sentiment, LOVE IT ALL!!! Thank you for sharing, thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, Sara, what a stunning canvas you've created! Your fussy cut flowers are simply fantastic and I love that Nicole's stamp! I love the crackle, your fabulous colours, rich textures and all the amazing details! It looks brilliant, my friend! Big congrats on your so well deserved GD spot! Have a wonderful weekend! Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely, definitely worth all the effort Sara, your canvas is a timely reminder of the cherry blossoms which are bursting out over here. You have made the blossoms look so realistic with your colouring and shaping. And the butterfly - just stunning - it looks like Tim's Perspective set to me - I love it!!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a fabulous canvas Sara, love all of the depth and texture (and I hear you about using the crazing medium generously in order to get the cracks!) and the way you have layered Nichole's beautiful stamp is just stunning. A wonderful creation, thanks so much for sharing it! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely delightful, Sara Emily - the pop of dimension on the flower heads is just wonderful (I do love a bit of blossom!). Congratulations on another fabulous guest spot.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful project and lots of bits to discover. So glad you joined Die Cut Divas, come again, CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  19. This canvas is beautiful!!! I love the flowers and the pretty butterfly.... love all the details!!! Thanks for joining us at Cut it Up challenge!
    Gerda
    http://cardscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sara Emily. Wow what a beautiful spring canvas. Those blossom stamps are beautiful and your piece showcases them perfectly. There is some yummy texture going on there, I have my eye on the crazing medium, it looks great. Thanks so much for joining in with our spring challenge over at Country View Crafts x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous canvas, Sara Emily! I adore your blossoms, and that wonderful crazing! Beautiful! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the canvas - it says spring in the most vintage way. So nicely done. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous ! Thanks for joining us over at Country View Challenges...
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous work of art. I enjoyed reading how you made it.

    Thanks for joining us at Cut it Up for our Spring Flowers challenge!

    Evelyn
    http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Howdy Sara- Gail Scott here from WAW Family Friendly Bi-Weekly Challenge - thank you for linking up this week and sharing your art work with us- This is a beautiful creation - very eye appealing and I love the texture!!- TFS have a blessed week! John 3:16

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Sara Emily!!! This is oh so beautiful and willed with amazing detail. Love your color scheme and gorgeous layers. What a beautiful dose of inspiration!!! Biggest congrats on your GD post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always thrilled to see your name out there! You so deserve the recognition! Biggest congrats on your top 3 at love to create!!! <3

      Delete
  27. Did you tell your hubby you needed a hand Massage after all that cutting? I sure would have. Hehe! Amazeballs canvas and those flowers take the cake! Holy crikey and jimmney crickets Sara doll! This is gorgeous and so detailed. Wowzers! I love the aged and vintage look of the canvas the. The pops of the flowers send it over the edge. Fantabulous and genius! What a clever and wonderful use of that stamp! Congrats on your GDT with the amazing Emerald Creek! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great and textural canvas ! Loving the dimension !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful piece Sara Emily! All of the different textures are amazing! Love how you used the cherry blossoms! Thanks for joining us on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful little canvas. Loved all the lovely textures,d the arrangement of all the collaged items and stamping. You have managed to soften some really eye-poke colours in a delicate, ethereal way. Thanks for the submission over at Our Creative Corner for the Gypsy Fayre challenge. So lovely to come and have a closer look her. - candice -

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sarah Emily! This is spectacular!! The blossoms are gorgeous yes, but you know how much I am a texture piggy and this is brimming with texture!! Just delish!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous texture and beautiful blooms! I love what you have made here! Thank you so much for playing along Craft for the craic this month! :)
    Suchi - DTxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous project. I love the texture and colors.


    So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous, gorgeous project with such amazing textures and details! Thank you so for joining us at HLS Mixed Media Challenge. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW!! What a gorgeous canvas .... so much fabulous texture and I love all the little details. Thanks for playing along with the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media challenge xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.