Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Pastel Baby Shoe

Hello again! I'm back with my second post today and only have minutes before the Pastels and Pearls challenge at Frilly and Funkie closes. I've had a vision of a baby shoe made into home decor in my head for awhile and really wanted to get 'er done for this challenge.


My nephew and his sweet wife are expecting their second baby next month, so I wanted to make them a little pin cushion for the new baby's room. They chose to be surprised and do not know if they will have a boy or girl, so I made a pastel yellow shoe with hints of pink and blue. I tried to be non-partisan and gave equal time to the pink and the blue, but I'd really like them to be blessed with a baby girl! They already have a sweet little boy.

I picked up the shoe at an estate sale last week--the lady must have thought I was crazy for purchasing just the one shoe! If it had a match I would have bought that, too! 

I stenciled the white cotton fabric with a TCW stencil and Distress paint, Spun Sugar, baby blue and buttercup acrylic paints. I quite like how it turned out! 



I gave the shoe a coat of gesso and painted with buttercup yellow acrylic paint. I gave it a wash of Picket Fence Distress paint and wiped it back to make it even more pastel. Lastly, I wanted a vintage look, so I scuffed it using DecoArt Antiquing cream. I added layers of lace and pearls from my stash.  The pink half pearls were colored with Liquid Pearls and the blue with Sailboat Blue and the white mixative alcohol inks. The pins are from my stash--the pink was already--well-- pink, and the blue was painted like the half pearls.



Crinkle ribbon was colored with Distress ink in Squeezed Lemonade, and the lovely blingy and pearly piece is from my stash.  I believe it started life as an earring.

I hope you like my little altered baby shoe! It was so much fun to make and only took a few hours start to finish.  Most of that time was spent looking for just the right embellishments.  The photo below is not the most flattering of shots, but I am squeezed for time and wanted to include a face on shot. It does look like a face, doesn't it?! Oh, my! I think I need some sleep!

Thank you to Nancy at Frilly and Funkie for the inspiring challenge! I wouldn't have thought to make this cute little piece of home decor without her challenge and the wonderful inspiration from all the talented Frilly and Funkie girls on the Design Team.


I'm sharing this with...

Thank you for stopping back in and for all your lovely comments. I read and appreciate each and every one of them!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

UPDATE: Yippee!
   

20 comments:

  1. What a brilliant gift idea Sara, love the way you have adorned this beautiful shoe with shabby ribbon, pearls, lace and scuffed paint effects and the finished look will be perfect in the nursery. Great job xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is BEAUTIFUL and so creative!! What a wonderful gift for the expecting couple. They will cherish it forever!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I am just so in love with this idea! What a wonderful project Sara and I am loving that went pastel for it! Using shabby ribbon as the shoe lace is genius and the pattern on the cushion part is so dainty and lovely, perfect for the baby theme. What a lucky couple to receive such a thoughtful and beautiful gift made from the heart!! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Pastels & Pearls' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is so sweet and pretty, what a lovely gift for the expectant couple.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just the cutest creation! The fabric - hand colored, wow! So creative and wonderful. So much to love about this sweet shoe. Clever use of the ribbon as the laces. Thank you so much for joining our Shabby Chic/Distress Challenge at Crafty Cardmakers!
    :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, you win. And if you don't win, I feel like personally sending you a gift! This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just precious! I love your pastel-colored shoe - perfect! I'm sure this will be a treasured gift for the new baby's room, and so thoughtful of you to do. Love how you got the pink and blue in there, too. That shoelace is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a clever, thoughtful and FUN project! I would never have thought of it in a million years, so hats off to you, my dear! So many fun little details, and I love the painted shoe. Thanks for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie Pastels and Pearls Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a totally beautiful, thoughtful gift Sara, the painted shoe is just delightful, with the wonderful pearls, the mix of pink and blue and all the lovely lace. Your nephew and his wife will surely be very touched by your thoughtfulness! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful, delightful and awesome gift for the lucky couple, will be greatly treasured I am sure. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So amazing!! What a beautiful & thoughtful gift for the new baby's room. Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sara, this is darling! What an incredibly inspiring altered project which your family will treasure. The detailing is both adorable and elegant, with touches of sweetness sprinkled throughout. The lace trim is gorgeous and I am enamored with the pearls atop the scallops. I love that this vision came to your heart to bless them. You are so talented, my friend. Wishing you a day of everything sparkly. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woooow, Sara, what a genius idea to alter that baby shoe in such a stunning way! You put so much love in creating this absolutely beautiful gift! That lucky couple is going to treasure this beauty! Love it to bits! It's brilliant, my friend! Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure can turn the most unusual items into fun art. What a great little gift for your nephew. Back in the day when babies wore cloth diapers, the pin cushion was a bar of soap - not nearly as pretty as this. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too, too adorable - this is just lovely! Sorry to have missed so much again lately. I've got a couple of weeks coming up soon where I hope to do some proper catching up.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't you the clever lady - I always knew you were talented. I thought this was a real shoe! What you have done to it is amazing and makes such a neat room decoration. Beautiful creation!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. so sweet and beautiful. seriously. you always blow me away! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just wonderful! Thank you from MMW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMGoodness this is truly an amazing piece of work. Simply beautiful. So glad you shared it with us at Crafty Cardmakers. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautifully altered and what a unique baby gift! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.