Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Abstract Mixed Media Canvas-Emerald Creek Dares Sneak Peek for Creativation

Hello, crafty friends and visitors! If you have been to Emerald Creek Dares you know the Design Team has been revealing some new products that Kim, owner of Emerald Creek Craft Supplies is introducing at Creativation. I've never made what I would call abstract art before, and I've been dying to give it a try.  I was totally inspired to try an organic sort of abstract canvas when I opened my package of goodies from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies! It's with tremendous pleasure I bring something new to my blog today! Not a stitch of paper nor die cuts on this!


Before going on, I will apologize for my blurry shots and my lack of in process photos. My I phone camera wants to focus on everything at once, since this is a highly sparkly canvas. I was in the creative zone (chillin' out!), paste dries quickly, and my phone needed charging...need I say more about the lack of process shots? But I do not lack in photos in general; this is an extremely photo heavy post. I'm still trying to figure out how this looks best--landscape or portrait.


I started with a canvas board and used my palette knife to add layers of various texture mediums including Ranger Grit Paste, Liquitex Modeling Paste and Golden Crackle Paste. I even mixed up Fractured Ice Embossing Crystals with my modeling paste for more texture, and when the paste dried heated it up with my heat tool to melt the crystals somewhat. I added Charred Gold Embossing Powder and more Fractured Ice randomly and along peaks and crevices while some of the paste was wet, and when dry, heated until it just started to melt.


Viewed from the side you get a sense of the texture on this. These photos were taken before I decided it needed a black "frame" of Black Soot Distress paint.


In areas that were relatively flat, I added stamping with Ranger Watering Can Archival ink and a few of Emerald Creek's new shell images. I immediately saw the value of these images not only for their use as a shell image, but for the intricately carved lines that would make great background stamping on an organic piece such as this.



Next I dabbed various colors of Distress paints on my craft mat and spritzed with water. I brushed this watery paint in random areas of the canvas and spritzed with more water to allow it to travel around the ridges and valleys. When satisfied, I dried with the heat tool and repeated with additional colors.




I'm not sure why, but some of the paste did not want to be colored, but I liked the look, so I've embraced imperfection.



I applied Ranger Emboss It Dabber directly from the bottle with a tiny brush to random ridges, sprinkled with Onyx Frost Embossing Powder, and heated to melt. I glued various Mixed Media Gemstones to some of the ridges using Ranger Multi Matte Medium. More embossing fluid and Onyx Frost powder was added around the stones and heated. No powders were added to the stones themselves--the rich gold and sparkly black are their natural colors, and there are purple, amber and clear stones as well.



Lastly, I cut the six tips off a Victorian Snowflakes charm and the bail off one of the tips. These were pressed into my Versamark embossing pad and then dipped in Onyx Frost Embossing powder, then heated. I glued these randomly near the stones to suggest ice crystals. Can you spot them in the photo below?



After my canvas sat on my desk a few days, I decided it needed to have a black frame around it, so I simply swiped around the edges with Black Soot Distress paints a few times. I think it's obvious I prefer it in this orientation, and I find it's colors and texture are even more beautiful when observed in natural light.


Well that about does it! I hope you are inspired to try something new and to use your products in a new way. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit my teammates at Emerald Creek Dares; you will be amazed at the way they have used Kim's new products she is introducing at Creativation (formerly know as CHA) this week. I am sooo jealous that most of the Emerald Creek Team will be there in Phoenix to provide inspiration for show goers. Sadly, I could not make it due to family obligations. Ladies, I know you will have a blast!

Emerald Creek Craft Supplies used:
Mixed Media Gemstones (new product)
Seashell Stamps (new product)

Other products used which are sold at Emerald Creek:

UPDATE: Yippee!

27 comments:

  1. WOW! This is absolutely Stunning!! Sara - and I mean Stunning with a very big capital 'S' ! A masterpiece worthy of an Art gallery wall!
    Magnificent!
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow Sara, for someone who doesn't do abstract, you sure hit a home run here!! I'm totally hypnotized by this canvas, my eye just flows around the piece, from one amazing corner to the next. Your rainbow of colours is so beautiful, and how the are blended and melted together is magical. The texture is incredible, especially the black veins which seem to stand much taller, like a mountain ridge on a 3d map! The added sparkle and glitter is the icing on the abstract cake! So much to see and admire. You sure have put all of your new products to great use here. Another wonderful and amazing piece my friend. thinking of you and sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhh - Sara - welcome to my 'canvas' world!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And WOW WOW WOW... did you jump in with all of your fingers :) LOVE LOVE LOVE your amazingly fabulous textures and colors. FANTASTIC abstract art. Yes - the black ridges and frame just made it PERFECT. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, you really do need to do abstract more often now, this piece is just incredible!! I love the colours, the textures you created, the black ridges, the black outer edge - everything about it!! The first thing I thought of was, it looks like a picture of a beautiful planet from outer space. Love, love this and I hope Kim will be displaying this at Creativation, it will certainly be much admired if it is!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How stinkin' cool is this! Geeze Louise I love it! I saw a peek of the new stones on IG and think they are a brilliant addition to the MM arsenal. I just love that you went outside the box with this project, it gives me so many ideas and such great inspiration! Love your creative brain my friend! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend, I am so happy to see this cool project receive top 3 at We Love to Create!!! Congrats! Hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  6. wow sara - this is amazing - its so very earthy - I love it to bits....the texture and colours are amazing! Its all amazing! Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning canvas Sara, love the textures you've created here and such gorgeous colours too.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new planet you discovered! Great textures and natural designs, attractive colours.. . When is the next departure?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so in live with this piece Sara Emily!! I just want to reach through my monitor and touch it and feel all the texture I can see. Absolutely stunning way to use the new Emerald Creek line! This would definitely have a place of honour on my wall or mantle! Incredible piece of art!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous mixed media project! Love the colors on your canvas! I love the Emerald Creek products!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, Sara Emily Piccaso, this is jaw-dropping!! Wow!! I am in total awe!! This is spectacular!! The texture is ah-may-zing!! The colors are mesmerizing!! This needs to be hanging on the wall of an art gallery!! Not kidding!! It is a stunning work of art!! You are so talented my sweet friend!! I bow to your greatness :) I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inspired to try something new!?! Well heck yeah! This is an abstract gem and so amazeballs. I sure am glad you tried this because the end result is nothing short of stunning! I bet this feels awesome sauce and all of the colors look fantabulous! The texture, the texture, the texture! Whoa dearie. Now so wonder what it looks like in your head when you are thinking of these wonderful masterpieces? Is there anything you can't do? I believe not! And then some. So much to look at and oogle. Wowzers dearie! Huge Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow, Sara Emily, this is amazing! Love all that texture and color...so much to look at, I keep finding new things when I go back and look at the photos again. Love how you added charm bits and stones and your use of embossing powders is awesome! Looking forward to more of these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOWZERS! Gorgeous mixed media piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sara Emily! When it comes to textures and layers, girlfriend, you never disappoint!! Gorgeous,yummyiness all over in one! Totally awesome Sara!! thanks for sharing your steps! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sara Emily what a sparkly canvas. Lots of colours and bling. It's beautiful. Thanks for joining in again with our anything goes challenge over at Country View xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous. Love all the colours you have used with such great texture.

    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome love the colours and texture
    Thanks for sharing at Creative Artiste Challenges x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...I am in love with that background, it's amazing and so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous project, love all the texture! Thanks so much for joining us at We Love 2 Create this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness Sara! Wow does not seem to be enough of a word. The layers, the colour, the texture, there are gems on it!!! Love, love, love! Clever lady you are with one heck of a wonderfully artistic skill xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great colours and textures ! Thank you for joining us over at Country View Challenges !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning canvas with lots of colour layers.

    Thank you for Joining us at Happy Little stampers and waiting to see next time.

    Hugs
    Meena HLS DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. love all that beautiful texture - thanks for joining us at the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wooooooow, Sara, you should do abstract more often! I love abstract art and this piece is absolutely fantastic! I am completely blown away by your amazing talent, my friend! What rich and yummy texture, the layers, the colors, everything is simply perfect here! This is my new favourite of yours! Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooooh my goodness I absolutely adoooore this texture! And colors! This is amazing! Thanks for stopping by at my blog!
    Hugs,
    Aleksandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.