Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Objet Trouve'-Scrapy Land Challenge #68-Embossing

Hello crafty friends and visitors! It's time for a new challenge at Scrapy Land and this time the challenge is 'Embossing' (heat or dry) using at least one die brand that Scrapy Land sells in the shop.


A few weeks ago I was blessed with a crafty play day with team mate and good friend Autumn (SewPaperPaint), and we made some rusty and crusty die cuts. I used the Sizzix  Weathered Clock. To get the crusty look, I've mixed up gel medium and sand paste with Distress and DecoArt paints, applied it randomly with my finger and blasted it with a heat gun to get the bubbly appearance.




An old favorite Sizzix Umbrella Man Bigz die cut was colored with Distress Brushed Pewter and caramel alcohol ink, and while still wet,  I sprinkled his umbrella, hat and shoes with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder. I hit it with the heat gun just 'til it bubbled. I edged the die cut with Distress crayon in Walnut Stain.





Now for that weird background. This did not turn out as planned. Of course, the technique worked perfectly on my test piece, but this panel just went from bad to worse--until I turned it over. I dry embossed my mixed media card with Sizzix Gearhead Thinlits dies using a sandwich process I've almost perfected (There's a set of plates you can do this with, but I haven't invested in them yet, preferring to use what I have on hand.) swiped it with Versamark ink to hit just the high areas and sprinkled with a hand selected mixture of embossing powders. That didn't show up too well, so I added more Versamark to the raised areas and sprinkled with a darker powder.  What a mess! I was getting ready to trash it when I flipped it over and saw the powder had melted enough to seep down through the embossed paper to outline the gears! Oh happy day! Not perfect, but perfectly grungy!


I dipped my card into Distress Oxides--Fossilized Amber and Spice Marmalade, and I love how the color collected around the gears. I swiped on Distress Crayon to add some (more) grunge. I randomly edged the card using the remainder of my embossing powder mix. For my sentiment, I chose the Tim Holtz Quote Chip in honor of my French team mate, Maryvonne  (Prendre le temps) and my newly found technique.



Now it's over to you! Please pop over to the blog and check out the beautiful inspiration from my teamies, then get out your dies and get creating for our 'Embossing' challenge! Remember, we have changed up the prizes-now both a lucky random winner  AND a winner chosen by the Design Team each receives a generous $10 gift certificate to Scrapy Land and our Top Picks receive badges! We can't wait to see what you will make! It can be any style you like from CAS to mixed media and everything in between; just be sure there's a die cut from a brand that Scrapy Land sells and use at least one form of embossing! We love seeing all styles!

I'm entering these challenges:
Thank you for stopping by today and for all your inspiring comments!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

19 comments:

  1. Awesome card, Sara Emily! That clock really does look like rusted metal! I love the umbrella man placed on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a really stunning card! I love all the weathered and distressed look of this card! Love the colors of the clock and the Umbrella Man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome make Sara Emily! Umbrella man looks great!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, this is amazing! I didn't realize you and Autumn lived near each other. How fun that you two can get together and have play dates! I love every thing about this. The rusty clock looks just like the real thing and your background is amazing looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Love the rusty, weathered look of this!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cool card and fabulous techniques! I LOVE the bubbling effect you got on some of the pieces! The background looks amazing..awesome colors and cool antique kind of feel! Looks amazing!
    How fun to have a crafty buddy so close to hang out with and craft shop! Lucky girls~
    Have a great day!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Sara Emily, this is amazing!! Wow!! I can't quit studying the pictures!! It is a rusty, grungy, textural masterpiece!! I love the look of the clock and the umbrella man!! The colors of the background are perfect!! I love every single thing about this, my sweet friend!! You talent and creativity blow me away!! Love, love, love!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely AMAZING - That's a breathtaking piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sara, the rusting on the clock face is superb, very authentic looking! I love the treatment you gave to umbrella man, he looks pretty weathered too. Fantastic work! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful for you and Autumn to get to play together and the results are, unsurprisingly, completely fabulous! Love the rusted clock and the finish on Umbrella Man is simply amazing! Wow!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! Your colors and molten textures remind me of my glazed clay work. I used to create special effects in the kiln, achieving such fabulous combinations. Your project is a wonderful piece of artwork! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous!! I love that background .. absolutely brilliant .. and also love the look of the clock and the umbrella man. Absolutely stunning card!! Have a wonderful day!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous textures and design Sara, this came together beautifully xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That rusty clock is AWESOME! You nailed the rust-look! And what a cool technique on your guy... I've never mixed AI with EP, I don't think. Must do! All around, turned out great! Nice corrosion and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't tell you how much I love this, Sara Emily! It is just so cool with all of the rust and crust - so glad you looked at the back and kept going. Love when that happens. These embossing "recipes" are some I need to try. Thanks for the inspiration. Glad you and Autumn got to spend time together - hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Sara Emily!! This is outstanding! I love love the palette and the textures are out of this world!! Fab design as well girlfriend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the rusty look, and the texture!!!! Thanks for playing along on the WOW embossing challenge

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry that I never got around last week to commenting on SL's team projects. Forgive me. :( I am in love with this one and have already seen it as a winner out there - congrats sweetie! You rocked that rusty panel and your background turned out amazing. I had to chuckle that we used the same color scheme on this project - great minds and all of that. :) Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card ! Fabulous !
    Hugs
    Maryvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.