Hello friends! I just pulled out my new Tim Holtz Tangled Twigs Thinlits die right before Hurricane Florence came knocking on our door and knocking down trees and everything else in it's path. For 'just' a Category 1 storm, it sure let it's presence be known here on the middle eastern coast of USA. These photos were taken on our 20 ft. tall pile of storm debris.
My inspiration came from the question of where all the birds, bugs and animals go when there is such a dreadful storm and from the "I Spy Spooky Night" children's book I kept myself occupied with during the beginning of the storm.
I started this project right before the power went out and took photos of my cheapo yard sale find frame and the Tangled Twigs die cuts. How apropos, those tangled twigs! I applied 3 coats of gesso to the frame and cut the frames from the twigs. I left some of the waste pieces in the twigs die cuts, just for fun, but in the end, it gave a sense of those twigs receding into the background. (I think.) I adhered the die cuts with Distress Collage Medium Matte and gave it all a final coat of Crazing medium.
I colored the frame front and interior and exterior sides with Pumice Stone Distress paint, and then rubbed the raised areas with Distress Crayons and finally with Black Soot ink here and there to further define some of the twigs.
The 'wood' background was an experiment that was left on my work top. It's Tim's old Ideaology Kraft Glassine paper embossed with the Lumber 3D Texture Fade. Crazing was added in random areas, and I had already colored it. It didn't fully cover the opening of the frame, so I folded it in half and embossed it again to extend the pattern. I tried to match up the colors I used at first, using various Distress paints and crayons.
The Ornate Owl die cut was spread with various thicknesses of Distress Opaque Crackle Paste, and when dry, sprayed with Antique Linen Distress Spray Stain. To add more contrast, I used crayons and inks, and drew in the eyes with Sharpie marker. I colored Mixed Media Heavystock with Distress Oxides and traced around the owl and cut it out to back the die cut.
Leaves were cut from Classic Kraft Stock using the Skeleton Leaves Thinlits die, sanded and colored with Distress crayons. Two birds are peeking out from the twigs, waiting for the storm to pass. I had the thought to add them and a butterfly after I adhered the twigs, so the effect of having them peek out from behind the twigs didn't really work. The chickadees are torn from Ideaology Aviary Collage Paper and the butterfly from Botanical Layers. It just so happens, chickadees were the first birds I saw return several days after the storm was over. I chose a Monarch, because my neighbor down the street said the 100 some monarchs she raised in mesh tents, although ready, would not fly the day before the storm. Smart bugs!
The Quote Chip was lightly sanded and colored with Distress inks. Creating this framed owl gave me much joy when things were dismal during and after the hurricane.
I am very grateful to so many of you who have kept the people of Wilmington and neighboring counties in your thoughts and prayers.
Hugs and Blessings!