Sunday, June 12, 2016

Words to My Daughter

Hello friends and visitors! I hope you had a wonderful weekend! We celebrated a milestone in our family this weekend, and this is the card I made to celebrate that special day. It is a graduation card I made for my daughter that I want to share today.  She graduated from high school, and I just couldn't be more proud!


Here is a photo my my beautiful little girl with her lovely besties! Lauren, my daughter, is the gorgeous lady in the middle. I was pushing her in a stroller just yesterday! Just in case you were wondering, she was very well decorated with tassels and such, but took them off right after the ceremony--not like I'm BRAGGING or anything!


Now back to the card. I only had a few hours to put this together from start to finish, while I was cooking dinner on Friday afternoon to be given to her on Saturday morning. Nothing like waiting 'til the last minute! I was in denial! I started by choosing some words I wanted to share with my graduate--a quote from Dyan Reaveley (Dylusions--Clearly the Right Words)  and a compilation of advice given by Tim Holtz (Way With Words).

I won't go into too many details on how I put this together, but I used an embossing resist and Tim's advice on the background. In case she missed this important message on the outside, I also stamped Tim's advice on the inside.

Tim's advice: "Be an individual. Take risks. Be brave enough to become the person that you were meant to be. Have an open mind and heart. Amaze yourself. We all make mistakes; what matters most is what we learn from them.  Make a real difference. Live your life with purpose and meaning. Be fearless." 

 I used Cracked Pistachio (my daughter's favorite Distress color) and Frayed Burlap inks to age it a bit. I was really inspired by the gorgeous tag created Linda Coughlin at  The Funkie Junkie, and her use of the translucent paste on her background. I laid down transparent paste in matte using Tim Holtz Mini Flourish stencil over my background and then highlighted with gold rub on paste. It's hardly visible in the photos, but below you get a hint of it peeking out along the edges. I added the gold to the distressed edges of my bottom layer as well.



I used a Memory Box Bloomington Wreath die, Tim Holtz Tattered Floral and Tattered Flower Garland dies for the flowers, Memory Box Chloe Stem and Tattered Lace Ornate Leaves for the foliage, Spellbinders Standard Circles Large for the center of the wreath. I stamped with a Heidi Swapp music image in Archival Coffee and Potting Soil. The Theo Butterfly is by Poppystamps. Inks and markers used to color the flowers, wreath, and circle are Color Box and Distress. Picket Fence Distress paint is flicked on the finished card with a Splatter brush. 


The little yellow beads are plucked from some store bought flowers and covered with clear microbeads. I added the microbeads to the flower centers and butterfly, as well.





I pray my little "butterfly" will spread her wings and fly as she starts the next phase of her life away at her University at the end of the summer. Tissues, please!


Here is one more look at the card. Please excuse the shadows.  I shot this outdoors early this morning in the soft morning light.


I am entering my card into the following inspiring challenges:
A Vintage Journey Texture or Embossing Paste I used transparent paste with gold high lights--see closups above.
Mixed Media Monthly #25-2nd Year Celebration!! I chose April MMMC #23 Dimension.
  

Thank you for stopping by today and taking the time to leave your wonderful comments! I read and appreciate each and every one of them!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

31 comments:

  1. Congrats to your daughter on her graduation and congrats to you on a glorious card to celebrate with!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card Sara Emily! Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation :) The kids grow up too fast!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, huge congratulations to your beautiful daughter on her graduation!! And to you, proud mama :) The card you made for her is absolutely stunning!! What spectacular colors!! The layers and details are amazing!! I love the flowers!! The sentiment is so perfect for a graduate!! I know she adored this gorgeous card!! Congrats to you both again my friend!! I hope you have a wonderful evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special card for your daughter's graduation. Sounds like you have every right to brag on this young lady :) I'm sure this card will remain one of her cherished treasures. Love it! Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow-such a gorgeous card for a gorgeous young lady! She'll treasure this forever-thanks for joining us at Die Cut Diva's this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a stunning card Sara, wow, and huge congrats of course on your daughter's graduation!! What a lovely photo!

    Oh and thanks for adding this to our challenge and MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive this card , it has become beautiful , I love this style very much! Greetings Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to your daughter Sara, how exciting for her to be starting the next stage of her life. Your card is stunning with such a beautiful sentiment and so very apt.
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my card at Cheery Lynn Designs.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh - made me a bit teary eyed Sara - thinking back. You are right - it goes by so quickly. Your daughter is PRECIOUS - she looks a bunch like you! I have no doubt that she ADORES the card that you made her. It's just so sweet and made with her fav colors too. LOVE so much the sentiments - inside and out. TRULY PERFECT! XXj.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to your beautiful daughter ...and how wonderful for you. Your make is stunning sara. I love it. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to your daughter, Sara Emily! She 's so cute and sure you can be proud of her! The card is gorgeous, and the quote fits so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many gorgeous details! Love the color palette! And that background is fabby! And those flowers are so ooh la la! The message is amazing...what a special card for a special gal on a special day! Well done, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful creation and huge congrats to your daughter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card, Sara! Congratulations to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful way to commemorate such a special occasion! For only having a short time to complete your card it looks fantastic and I can see the love that went into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous card! I love the color scheme and the fabulous details! What a perfect sentiment to! I am sure your daughter will love it~congrats on her graduating!
    Also, thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  17. Big congrats to your beautiful daughter Lauren on her graduation! Bravo, Lauren! I wish her all the best in future!
    Oh, I am sure she is going to treasure your breathtakingly beautiful card forever! You put so much love in creating this stunning and elegant card! I adore your color palette, it looks so fresh and beautiful! Fabulous details, amazing layering and awesome background, as usual! That sentiment is simply perfect for this card! I am so impressed, my friend! Congratulations to you both! What a wonderful family!
    Big hugs and lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, beautiful card for a stunning daughter who has an incredibly talented Mum. The words and butterfly wings are so apt for such a special occasion, congratulations to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Sara Emily, you have completely taken my breath away with this one!! Those colours are just melt-in-your-mouth delicious, wow! Your flowers are amazing and I am loving those little bead balls tucked in here and there, genius bit!! Your background is stunning, love the glimmer, and well done capturing that with your camera too!! Your butterfly seems as if it is floating on your card, such a vision...a garden delight! Your sentiment is just wonderful, what a lovely card for such a wonderful occasion! I am just so happy for you and your daughter, congratulations!!

    Oh yes, and Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Let the Words Do the Talking' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats to you and your beautiful daughter! What an amazing keepsake card for her...so pretty and feminine with lots of great life advice. I love the entire card, but my favorite part are the flower and seed beads. Love how they turned out. Beautiful card, Sara Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, tears are flowing! Gosh, I can totally relate to your feelings, mine will go next year. Ah! How will we ever adjust?! She is lovely, tassels or not! ;0 And the card is the perfect tribute to a young, smart, beautiful girl, who you obviously love deeply. Congrats to you both! What an achievement! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning graduation card! Congrats to your daughter! What a lovely picture of her and her besties! Wishing them all a wonderful start to a new adventure. Thanks for playing along with us in the Frilly and Funkie - Let the Words do the Talking Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yippee and huge congrats to Lauren and also a huge congrats to you on helpful my shape your lovely daughters life to this moment. You rocked it! Her card is beyond stunning and carries such a meaningful momento and words. The background matte with the highlights of gold is genius! Bravo as B would say! Lol love the layers and your added bits to the flowers. This is a treasure and one I am sure Lauren will hold dear. So glad you shared this moment! Hugz to you muffin! And Hugz to your wonderful family as well! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  24. Huge congratulations to your beautiful daughter on her graduation Sara. What a wonderful way to celebrate it too, your card is absolutely stunning. The words inside and out are just perfect too...

    Thanks so much for joining in our Textures and Embossing Pastes challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful card. This is a card to save forever.

    So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmmm . . . now which is prettier, your card or your daughter. I will go with your daughter!!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations to Lauren! She's such a lovely young woman and has so much to look forward to in life!! I know what you mean about the passage of time. I always want to turn back the clock and re-live their childhoods- Lol! Your card is stunning. Lauren will cherish it forever. It is incredibly soft and bursting with detail. I love the background you created. It's on my list of things to try!! Thanks for sharing your art with us at the Frilly and Funkie challenge! It is always a treat to visit your blog.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations to your beautiful daughter , Lauren on her graduation. Wishing her nothing but happiness and good health for the future .
    The card you made for her is absolutely gorgeous , Sara Emily one that I'm sure will be cherished forever. How wonderful too that this beauty made the top 3 winners at FnF . Congrats to you too .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations to your daughter! What a wonderful card you made! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done that girl! A gorgeous card and just love those flowers.Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Julia S-W

    ReplyDelete
  31. STUNNING canvas! i just adore it and love the pastel color palette. and congrats to your beautiful SMART daughter! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.