Thursday, June 16, 2016

12 Tags of 2016-Technique Remix June-Tissue Wrap Collage-Stencil Plaid

Hello friends and visitors! I'm excited today, because I've finished my tag for June, and it's early! I sure was befuddled by this one; nothing I had in my pretty large collection of Tim Holtz dies and stamps seemed to fit the bill. And there sat my inspiration right at my feet-Biskit-my curious, playful, painfully fun-sized kitty whose main purpose in life is to seek out tidbits from my Closet and hoard them God knows where. Oh... and sleep. So here's what I came up with; a fun tag filled with silliness using Tim's June awesome twosome-Tissue Wrap Collage and Stencil Plaid Techniques.



Check out Tim's June tag on his blog--these techniques were made for that Dapper die and Tailor and Houndstooth stamp image! Love the simplicity of his tag this month, and even more in love with the plaid. (I usually include his photo here, but I was getting a security warning when I copied and pasted.)

I've had the Crazy cats stamps and dies for quite some time now; they were a gift from my lovely daughter for my birthday, but this is the first time I've used them. I don't have the Substrate Tim used, but I did use the waste packaging from the  Textile Surfaces as my substrate for the Tissue Wrap. I followed Tim's instructions but used stamps from two older releases: Boundless Flight (Harlequin) and Curious Possibility (definition). I hope you get the significance of the Curiosity stamp and can read the fine print. "curious as a cat", "prick up the ears", "stare", gape" and "snoop" all seemed fitting for my little feline.



I love the new plain Tissue Wrap--it is lovely to handle and smooths down so easily. Stamped images come out crisp on this surface. I often  add images on tissue to my work, and it has a tendency to tear. So I will be getting lots of use out of this perfectly sturdy Tissue Wrap.

My sewing machine is worthless, so I tried my hand at some hand stitching at the top, but I soon got tired of that. I hope adding the vintage dyed lace along the bottom serves as a substitute. I dyed the lace and crinkle ribbon with Abandoned Coral spray stain. I also used Abandoned Coral in ink form on the ball of yarn and heat embossed in clear.

I love how expressive the Crazy Cat's eyes are.  It you turn them one way you get a whole different expression that if they were another.  I turned mine upside down to get that deer in the headlights look Biskit always has (when she's awake).

I added the birds on a wire Remnant Rub at the top, since Biskit spends her free time (after raiding my Closet and sleeping) watching the birds in the backyard from the french doors. The Remnant Rubs stick seamlessly to whatever you want to stick them to--here the textile surface and the stamped and Vintage medium'd Tissue Wrap.


I added some shading around the kitty with Walnut Distress crayon, and used it to color the die cut tail and inner parts of the kitties arms while I had it out. I wanted to bring extra attention to the tail, as Biskit's tail is always twitching, as if she is annoyed with your very presence. I clear embossed a trio of fish bones, too, and added Glossy Accents to the eyes. I cut a few more of the kitties and adhered their negatives to the back of  the collaged surface. This provides some separation of the layers, since my chosen plaid colors are close in color to the Vintage collage medium.  I used inks in Ground Expresso, Vintage Photo and Fossilized Amber for my plaid, since Biskit is a brown tabby. I hand drew her little nose and mouth and gave her a sweet little bow around her neck.


"Remember to Play" Chit Chat seemed to be the perfect words to add.



I hope you like my playful tag! I sure had fun making it, and can't wait to see what Tim has to inspire us next month! I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries this month, too!


I am entering my tag in the following inspiring challenges:
Die cut Divas June Anything Goes With Kaisercraft Tim Holtz Crazy Cats Thinlits die and Tim Holtz Bigz Tag and Bookplates die.
Southern Ridge Trading Company Anything Masculine  Well, sort of masculine in the colors and stamping. Feel free to delete my entry if you do not think it masculine enough.
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Animal Magic In honor of  and inspired by my kitty.
Creative Artiste Challenge #15-Anything Goes I used Distress Vintage Collage Medium, Distress Crayons, sprays, and ink.





Thank you for stopping by today and for all your wonderful comments! I read and appreciate each and every one of them! 

Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily


UPDATE: Yippee!

43 comments:

  1. This is so so much fun, Sara Emily! What a great twist on this month's tag - love it! Great colors and stamping too! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tickled pink to see our names "in light" together! You really deserved the feature for this clever design. Congrats on an awesome win! <3

      Delete
    2. And woot woot - you won at More Mixed Media too! Man, you rock! I love you!!!

      Delete
  2. That is a great variation on the June tag. The plaid kitty is wonderful. I really like the embossed fish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant remix tag Sara, love your design and colour choices. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this version Sara Emily! Great choice of image and wonderfully embellished. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE your choice of dies Sara, the kitty looks amazing with those fun eyes and plaid body and your embellishments are wonderful! I hope Biskit doesn't take this gorgeous tag and hide it away... lol! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a crazy cat I see?? lol. Fabulous tag Sara, love that you took the light-hearted approach to this one. The added fish skeletons made me giggle and those googlie eyes are such a hoot!! What a perfect fit for the sentiment you chose, this whole tag just made me smile like 'crazy'!! Geddit?? Crazy!! BWAHAHA! hugs my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I love this, Sara!! What a fabulous take on Tim's tag!! It's so darn fun!! That plaid kitty is awesome!! I love that you added the ball of yarn and fish skeletons!! The background is beautiful!! I just love this!! It's so creative!! I hope you win this month - this tag deserves it!! Now I've got to get busy on mine...I haven't missed a month yet this year but I'm a little stumped on what to do. You've inspired me to get working on it!! Have a great weekend my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great take on the June tag Sara - just so full of fun! Sorry not to be have around much to comment but life has been manic ! albeit enjoyable. And shortly I shall be away for our long sailing holiday. So hopefully catch up after the summer!! Jennie xxx
    PS Thank you for your lovely comments too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Sara Emily and so much fun too! I have 3 cats so you know I am a Cat Lady. I love the fish skeleton especially on the heart. You are a great designer and easily drift from one style to another. Now that is talent. Love your tag Sugar!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute, Sara Emily! The crazy cat is adorable in plaid, and the abandoned coral color really pops! Those little birds are just perfect for a cat tag!! Your cat sounds precious, and I love her name :-) We are in the middle of a 2-week trial with a rescue cat, but will probably end up adopting him. Nice to have a cat around the house again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your well-deserved win, Sara Emily!!

      Delete
  11. Some of the most fun that can be had is doing fun techniques to make a one of a kind original. This is fun and perfectly lovely. Thank you so much for posting you creative and very lovely art in the #234-#235 - Anything Goes Word Art Wednesday Challenge.
    Blessings, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, Sara Emily - this missive comes from Lynn's cat, Gertie. You have correctly captured the twitching tail and beautiful look of curious cats, well done and MEOW, MEOW, MEOW!! Lynn asks that I also note the fabulous text background with appropriate words, but as I cannot read, I will take her word that it fits this lovely homage to your wonderful Biskit. Curiously, I can type, but let us not go there at the moment! My favorite bits are those delectable fish skeletons , including the one on the heart! I do hope Biskit had the real thing at hand to inspire you. Lynn indulges me, but not often enough, with water-packed sardines, as she thinks the fish help keep my coat stunning. I assume you do much the same, as Biskit's lovely plaid fur certainly qualifies for that description. I need to go nap, so adieu, purr, purr, purr - yours (sort of, as I usually need to get to know someone first before saying this), Gertie - aka the supervisor at Experiments in Paper. Consider your hand licked as a sign of affection in signing off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your tag. the work you have done is brilliant
    Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...
    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    Creative Artiste Challenge Blog
    creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is so much fun, Sara! This awesome tag deserves to win! That ball of yarn and those fish skeletons are just fabulous! What a super creative mind you have, my friend! That Crazy cats stamp set is on my wish list now! I am completely in love with this brilliantly created tag! You are awesome!
    Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tag. Lots of very interesting details. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure hope Lauren saw this divine and hilarious piece of art! She could use it as a bookmark! Those little fish are amazeballs and so fun! Looks like you totally nailed the plaid technique smashingly well, I need major help with mine dearie. Lol. Your cat with the huge eyes looks like his mouth was bigger than his stomach to have eaten all the fishies. Hehe! This is the best take and totally original idea for the tag! Awesome sauce and fantabulous! Hope you are having a good weekend. I'm trying to get my master bedroom done before Gma gets here. Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW Sara you have packed so many techniques into this tag...a work of art indeed!!
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful tag. Love all the textures, layers and the kitty! Pop of colour is a nice touch. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Amnimal Magic Challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous and fun tag with so many delicious details. Your cute crazy cat and the fish bones really crack me up lol!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing your lovely crafting for our June challenge at More Mixed Media – hope to see you again soon x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your tag Sara Emily! Using the Crazy Cats was a fantastic idea! Thanks for playing along with us on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge Trading Company

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun and creative!! Love your tag Sara with all the dimension and different textures. Thanks for joining us at ODBD!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of great texture. Well done.

    So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful interpretation of Tim's tag Sara, love the expression on your wonderful Crazy Cat and the curiosity tissue wrap you used along with those Chit Chat stickers were perfect choices! Thanks so much for sharing it and thank Biskit for inspiring it (when she wakes up ;O) Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my! I adore this - a brilliant take on Tim's tag and a little tribute to your own cute kitty! I have managed to get a look back at what I've been missing - got a bit bogged down with other stuff - loved seeing what you have been creating! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Sara!!! CUTE CUTE CUTE! I LOVE the use of the crazy cat here! Love the background too, but the heart and fish bone are the icing...perfect! Great take!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how all the elements come together on your tag, great work. Thank you for joining the Anything Goes Challenge at Diecut Divas. Cathie DT

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on your well deserved win Sara!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY???? I need to go see who the winners are, right after I pinch myself one more time! Thanks, Anne, you made my day! Hugs!

      Delete
  29. HOw did I miss this little gem? I can't keep up with the speed of your crafting and blogging! Sara lol
    Fab take on Tim's tag and congrats on making the winners list. Happy dance time xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just saw your tag won over at Tim Holtz Blog too .. Well deserved, congratulations ! We are happy aren't we?? xx Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  31. .... and welcome as a follower to my blog! Hope you will enjoy..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations! Beautiful tag! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats on your win! Very well deserved!! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this tag Sara!! The bow is a purr-fect touch!!! Congrats girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a fun and fantastic take on the June tag! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats to you! Just saw your win!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.