Monday, June 6, 2016

Guest Designer--Happy Little Stampers-Textured Canvas


Hello, friends and visitors! I'm so honored to be Guest Designer at Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media today. I was super excited when I learned the challenge theme was to be "Texture", because if you are a regular follower, you know I LOVE texture! I had been inspired to make a "denim" mixed media project for some time after seeing some photos of pillows in an old Pottery Barn catalog, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to make this denim canvas. In my messy, grungy style, of course!


  

For the background, I laid down Golden regular gel medium through a paper stencil I made using Tim Holtz Mixed Media Harlequin Thinlits die. Making paper stencils is so easy, and there's no clean up after use! After the gel fully dried, I covered the entire canvas with gesso. Next came Distress paints in Weathered Wood, Faded Jeans, Salty Ocean, and Chipped Sapphire applied in layers. Some colors I wiped back, and sometimes I heat set the paints between layers.  I did some sanding to remove some of the color (just like my most loved jeans) and then added more back,this time using Distress Crayons in Picket Fence and Chipped Sapphire. I continued with the wiping and sanding until I was happy with it.



I used my new to me Dina Wakley Leafy stencil and regular gel medium randomly to the front and sides of the canvas. I carefully marked my stencil, because I knew I would be replacing it to add more layers of medium. But even taking that precaution, it was a bear to realign because of the pattern.

When the gel had fully dried, I swiped on Distress crayons and smudged with my fingers and dried.  Then I carefully replaced the stencil and knifed through with Distress Crackle Paint in Picket Fence, allowed it to fully dry, and again, wiped on more crayon, this time watered down.



I had a major goofy at the bottom when I didn't realign my leaf stencil properly before adding crackle paint, so I had to do some repair work.  What a mess! I can't tell you all the steps I took to iron out my problems, but it involved sanding, covering the entire area with texture paste, re-painting, then adding crackle paste through another homemade Harlequin stencil. (I decided I was done with the Leafy stencil!)  Oddly the cracks never materialized (I usually never have a problem with the Golden), so I replaced my stencil and added Picket Fence Crackle paint. Whew! This is the canvas from you-know-where! Anyway, it has texture, wouldn't you agree?

I added more texture by using texture paste and TCW's Art Is stencil. I created the shadow using Black Soot Distress Crayon and a waterpen.

Next, I added stamping using the script image from the Happy Little Stampers Thinking of You set in Cobalt Archival. I also splattered on Distress Spray stain in Black Soot (I removed the spray tube from the bottle, and splattered directly from that) and heat dried. I've splattered up yet another top, but somehow managed to spare the shorts! Finally, I added microbeads in coordinating colors.




To finish my project, I stamped two Tim Holtz butterflies on white card with Picket Fence Distress ink and sprinkled with Ranger Sticky Embossing Powder, heated, and sprinkled again with Pumice Stone Distress Glitter. I gave them a hint of color using Tumbled Glass Distress marker and a waterpen, and the bodies are Liquid Pearls. When dry, I fussy cut them and adhered.

The tiny butterfly is Rubber Stampede and colored with Tumbled Glass and Faded Jeans markers and a waterpen. I fussy cut and layered on white card.


I sure have enjoyed spending the day with the talented Mixed Media Design Team at  Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media blog, and if you haven't yet, I hope you'll pop by to see all the amazing inspiration from the team!

I would like to enter my canvas in the following inspiring challenges:
Our Creative Corner A Beautiful Mess A bit of a mess, even by my loose standards!
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #25--2nd Anniversary-I chose #18 "Texture"! Nov. 2015
  
A Vintage Journey Texture or Embossing Paste
Country View June Challenge-Crackle
Mixed Media Place May Challenge-Be a Light Moodboard I was definitely inspired by the blues and the Be a Light quote(My butterflies are the bright light in the dark sky and don't blend in.)
Thank you for stopping by today and for all your lovely comments!  I read and appreciate each and every one of them!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

29 comments:

  1. Wow, this is breathtakingly beautiful!Gorgeous, gorgeous texture and amazing attention to detail. I just love those crackled leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, it's absolutely stunning, Sara Emily!! The texture is ah-may-zing!! You'd never know you had trouble and had to sand and repaint and repaste!! It looks so gorgeous!! I love the denim color and the details!! Truly spectacular my friend and so inspiring!! Congrats on your guest design spot!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely creation Thanks for playing at MIxed Media Place

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, big congrats on your so well deserved GDT spot, Sara!
    Woooooow, Sara, your denim canvas is simply breathtaking! What a glorious piece of art full of fabulous techniques! I am always so inspired and impressed by your art work! I adore your awesome crackled leaves and your fantastic rich textures! Your attention to details is amazing! I absolutely LOVE it, my friend! Big hugs and lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sarah what an inspiring piece of art work. I love the monochrome look, all that gorgeous texture, and your step by step description is so helpful. Thank you for being a fabulous Guest Designer this month.
    Hugs
    Carol X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy seeing what you create - always so creative and attractive!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much yumminess - I adore the crackle Sara - beautiful work!!! Huggles Rachel - oh and thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super Guest Design project Sara - I bet Happy Little Stampers are Happy indeed. Great texture, crackle and fun! Thanks bunches for joining our 'A Beautiful Mess" challenge at OUR CREATIVE CORNER. j.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely texture, yes! Smart to use a die-cut as a stencil... I think Autumn mentioned doing that, too... smart ladies! I really love that crackle through the stencil. Excellent effect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, Sara Emily!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the texture (and no one would ever notice the bo0-boo you describe!) And that color - I am swooning! I am very far behind, but trying to catch up - so glad I caught this!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL -- The canvas "from you know where". Yep ... Had a few of those myself. Love the denim look and despite the problems you had with it, the crackled leaf stencil is amazing (although I don't blame you for ditching it in favor of the harlequin). Love all of the texture. And those coordinating microbeads are so very lovely. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Seeing your comment made me smile. I'm glad to be back. Hugs -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. The deep denim blue on your canvas is gorgeous Sara Emily so rich and inviting and I love the texture you added with those delightful little butterflies. Thanks for sharing your amazing talent with us at AVJ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another beautiful project full of texture, Sara Emily! Love your colors and all of the crackling is awesome, along with those microbeads! Your butterflies are the perfect embellishments for this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Sara, this is just stunning!! I want to reach into my screen and touch this beauty, oh the wonderful textures everywhere!! I love the addition of the microbeads, adds such a lovely interest without stealing focus from those gorgeous butterflies!! Your rich blue palette has me completely drooling, how decadent and regal! Love the crackle too, well I love it all actually!! sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooowie! I love it Sara Emily! Thanks so much for GDing at HLS this month. It's a beautiful textural, blue, butterfly beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Biggest congrats on your GD post, girl! Amazing! Beautiful texture and awesome on trend color palette. Love your new stencil. Just so you know, it was YOU that made me buy the oval ornate frame die, so now we're even! ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful blue creation! I enjoyed reading through your detailed technique as i'm a newbie to mixed media. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Huge huge congrats on your guest spot! Yippee! This design is blue-tiful! Hehe. I love how the middle part is lighter than the other spots. It creates a wonderful contrast and highlight and your stencils are amazing! Awesome sauce canvas and butterflies dearie. Hugz to you muffin!~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the shape of your canvas and what you did with it is just brilliant!! Clever use of your own made stencils and then the other textures bring even more depth to it all. The butterflies are just the perfect focals to it all!

    Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at MMM and AVJ too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sara, this canvas is stunning! I love the gorgeous blues and the texture is truly other-worldly. The stencil work is sublime. The harlequin at the bottom looks fabulous, so I think the leafies weren't meant to be there! Amazing cover-up from your brilliant mind. The butterflies add a lovely touch of softness. You are so talented and it is a joy to see your creations. Thank you for explaining your processes, too! Incredible work, my friend. Happy Little Stampers is blessed to have you! I hope you have a sunshiny weekend. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Sara!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your always so sweet, so uplifting comments! I love hearing from you. I'm so glad that I stopped by your blog as well! Your canvas for your Happy Little Stampers Guest Designers spot is beautiful! I love the shape of your canvas. That is very interesting and I love what you've done to the canvas to accentuate the length. Your blue denim color is awesome and I adore the stenciled harlequins. Paper stencils...you very smart girl! Your leaf stencil, the crackled areas and the butterflies are also so pretty on your "denim" background. As with all of your work, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, texture and then some more texture - love the shape to start with and the fabulous blue jeans colour, not to mention those amazing harlequins. Another brilliant guest spot - congratulations (yes, more of them!).
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely long tall canvas Sara Emily! perfect for your fluttering butterflies - and what gorgeous stenciled texture! Thank you for joining us in the AVJ Texture challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love me some pottery barn - I will have to look in there for some art inspiration too - especially if it helps me create something as awesome as this! Love the texture - and love that you practically had to redo the bottom - and it turned out so great! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge's 2nd Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A textural delight! Sara. Love reading how this canvas evolved and it really is a beauty. From the texture, the colour , the embellies , the long thin oblong shape of the canvas It save to say I love it all .
    Congrats too on your Guest design spot .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wowzers Sarah! I'm just loving your work right now! You are rocking this piece too my lovely! The colours is gorgeous and the butterflies contrast perfectly!! Yup, a new fave!!
    Hugs
    Gee
    P.s. Thanks for joining us at MMP xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just stopping by to say Congratulations on being chosen as one of the top 3 at Our Creative Corner ! Hugely deserved Sara and so delighted for you . Its a real beaut . :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations, Sara Emily! I love this blue and so much great textures here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.