Monday, June 27, 2016

Keys to My Heart

Hello friends and visitors! I hope you've been finding time to be creative!  I've turned my back on my paper and card stock and made my project mainly out of metal. Here are the keys to my heart (rust, metal, grunge).



It's hard to tell which is the front and which is the back, so I'll show both and let you decide. I really should stop making 3D projects, because they are so hard to photograph, and I must bore you with so many photos. As you might be able to tell, it was raining (finally) when I took these. I had to take the shots outside, because the light in my studio reflects off all the metal.

                                             

I'm sorry I've got no process shots, but I'll make up for it in close ups. I started with aluminum foil and masking tape to form my heart. I cut up pieces of  air conditioner's/plumber's tape and embossed them with a Lifestyle Crafts embossing folder. I used these pieces to cover the heart and colored the heart with a variety of alcohol inks. I gave it a coat of Black Soot Distress paint and before it was fully dried, I wiped most off to leave it in the recesses. I heat embossed with my beloved Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder randomly (sold at Emerald Creek Craft Supplies--I can't locate a link). See all those nice metallic bubbles? That's the powder heated slightly; when you heat it longer it forms a nice smooth enamel--not the look I was going for on this project.


This entire project was inspired by a box of keys I picked up at my neighbor Hilda's house when it was being cleaned out following her unfortunate passing earlier this year. Many of the keys have unique shapes, but  are not especially old, so I aged them and a metal keyhole embellishment from my stash with black gesso, DecoArt Sand Texture paste and media paints in Raw Umber, Quinacridone Gold and Cobalt Teal.  I embossed with just a touch of Distress Tea Dye Embossing Powder. I also made a few keys and another  keyhole using air dry clay and a Mod Podge mold. I colored them with Prima Alchemy paint in  Steampunk Copper, Deco Art Raw Umber, Quinacridone Gold, and  just a touch of Cobalt Teal. I was able to bend the metal keyhole and mold the still pliable keys and hole to the heart, but there was no budging those real keys!



See the "nails" on the keyhole and periodically on the upholstery tacks? Those are black half pearls colored with black gesso and watered down Steampunk Copper. I think this just might be my favorite detail.



I bet you wish these close ups weren't so blurry; I know I do! Mr. I wanted to focus on all that foil!



I'm very fortunate to have purchased a very large roll of brass upholstery tacks (well that's what they look like to me) from Hilda's estate sale last year, and these work as a perfect embellishment. I aged them in a similar manner as the keys and adhered them to the heart's edges which was tricky to say the least. Golden glass bead gel adds some rusty grunge to my heart.





And a few more random shots. I assure you, no paper was harmed in the making of my heart!







I am sharing my heart with the following challenges:
Mixed Media World MMW #15 From Scrap to Masterpiece My scraps are keys getting ready to be thrown in the dumpster.
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #25 2nd Anniversary I chose Texture - November 2015
  

Thank you for stopping by today, hanging in there with me,  and for all your wonderful comments. I read and appreciate each and every one of them! 
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

17 comments:

  1. Extraordinary work of art!!! So many dimensions and so full of technique, love, love, love.... Thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Supplies Dare Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Amazing work Sara Emily! And I so agree with the comment above: Extraordinary work of art! You put so much thought into your creations and that is what I love the most about your work!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous, Sara Emily!! I love your altered heart!! I stepped out of my comfort zone and worked with metals last week, also. It sure is fun to try something new, isn't it? Your work is stunning and sooooooo inspiring!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful altered heart so full of fabulous grungy, rusty metals and a brilliant play on words. Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sara, this is really incredible!! I can't believe all the amazing rusted bits here, and so realistic looking, awesome! Don't ever stop making 3D projects, and no, we don't get bored of all the photos. For me, I think the front would be the side with the keyhole, like the secret locket for some fantastical wizard that opens the door to the hidden forest! HA!! Love it my friend. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, Sara Emily, this is spectacular!! The rust looks amazing!! I so wish I could create rust like you do!! I love all of the grungy, rusty, coppery details!! And I totally appreciate that you include so many pictures so we can see every fabulous detail!! Love, love this my friend!! You are so inspiring!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful work Sara - love the texture and the rusting - the keys are awesome - brilliant! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat art piece Sara and a great momento of your neighbour! Thanks for taking on the Emerald Creek Dare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe this started out as aluminum foil and masking tape! You are so amazing at making art out of anything! As always, I love your rusty, grungy techniques...they are quite inspiring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow Sara, I love this - it must have been a real labour of love creating this! I love all your 3D projects and never, never tire of seeing photos so please don't change! I love both sides but the one with the keyhole just has the edge I think and I love all the trimming around the edge. This really is a beautiful and inspired piece of ART !! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously, where do you get these ideas! You are a steampunk mastermind that deserves your own cartoon based on the inner workings of your steampunky mind! Oh, wait, that might be copyrighted, but still! This is totally amazing - those half pearls... Sigh, drool, love...

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, Sara, this is definitely my new favourite of yours! I am totaly impressed with this breathtakingly beautiful work of art! A steampunk crafting gem, that's what it is! I adore every single detail and you have managed to achieve a fantastic rust/patina effect which I love the most! Love it, love it, love it! You are such an inspiration, my friend! Big hugs to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing Sara! I love the steampunk! I have tacks that I used for a headboard with a ton leftover - would never have thought of using them - but I LOVE the way they look!! Thank you for the inspirations! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wowzer - grungy metallic fabulousness!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am going to ditto Alison - I never think of things to say like that!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really have managed to create such an aged and worn look - Wow! The molded keys are just brilliant. As is all the yummy texture and rust! Thank you for playing along with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowza! An altered heart that just makes my heart so happy . Love all the grunge, rust, texture , metal. You've certainly done a superb job of this Sara Emily .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.