Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tim's 12 Tags of 2015-April

Well, here we are at the end of April, and I'm finally posting my April tag for Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of 2015 April challenge.  As is usually the case, I don't have the proper dies and stamps, but necessity is the Mother of Invention!


For complete details on how this tag was made please visit Tim's website to see how the master of creativity did it.  I simply followed along with his instructions, making a few changes where I did not have the materials listed.

mainimage

I was going to sit this one out because aside from paper, Distress markers, and the tools, I had nothing else on the materials list.  But at work the other day, I saw the most amazing determined, yellow butterfly, and I was inspired!

To color my Perspective butterfly, I chose Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade Distress markers, reminiscent of the butterfly I saw earlier that day.  I used Shaded Lilac and Dusty Concord the body. I made an extra, fussy cut it, and gave my tag dimension by layering it on the first.


Background colors include Tumbled Glass, Broken China, and Squeezed Lemonade.  I also used these colors on a second piece of Tim's Distress water color paper to cut the word "Life" using his Inside Out die, since I don't have the Adventure Words dies yet. I just used the inside of the letters, and will save the outline letters for another project.


My substitute for the script die is the stamped word "Wonderful" from Tim's Mini Handwritten Holidays.  I simply taped off the parts I didn't need before inking,  and removed the tape before stamping. I fussy cut the word and added Glossy Accents for dimension.


Although I cut my background paper according to Tim's instructions, making necessary changes in measurements for my words, I chose to use Kraft Core from Tim's Collection for contrast. I used Tim's Tag and Bookplates die to cut the tag and reinforcer. I distressed the edges and sanded it, then blended on some Distress Ink in Wild Honey. I used regular kraft paper for the reinforcer and inked it with Vintage Photo.

I colored my ribbon according to Tim's plan, and used Wild Honey and  Spiced Marmalade to coordinate with my butterfly. I love that ombre look.

 One last difference from Tim's tag is the stitching.  That Tim is one smart cookie, and it's no accident there are little holes spaced every 1/8 inch on his ruler.  I poked a needle in each of the holes, making stitch holes for my Distress marker (Black Soot and Picket Fence toned down with some Wild Honey) "stitching".  And since "it's all in the details", Tim, I added some zig-zag stitching using an image from the Seamless Experience set. Sorry I couldn't do the real sewing, but I hurt my back over Easter hunting for eggs, and I didn't dare lift my heavy old machine.



All in all, I think I was able to pull it off with what I had.  I have full intentions of getting the Flower Garden   set, and the Adventure Words are surely on my wish list. I can see so many possibilities for them!


A special thank you to Shari Trumbull of Ain't That Artsy Fartsy for enabling me on this one!  I received a wonderful gift from her recently, and it included some of the Distress Markers I've used here.  I guess I should also include another special thank you to Tim and Mario, too, for the Perspective stamp set I won in a lucky draw earlier this year.  This is my favorite set, gentlemen!

I hope you enjoyed my post today, and thank you for leaving all your wonderful comments!  I read and appreciate every one, and eventually reply to each one. Hugs and blessings!

Sara Emily

I would like to enter this into the following inspiring challenges:

Fantasy Stampers #35 "Distress It" Stamps used Tim Holtz: Perspective, Seamless Experience, and Mini Handwritten Holidays.

35 comments:

  1. Gorgeous take on Tim's tag Sara!!! That butterfly looks gorgeous! I am going to go bankrupt by the end of the year because of Tim Holtz and his tags!!!! I had to buy markers and the airbrush thingy! I am not into coloring and stamping at all... I told myself I was going to do the tags this year, but this year is probably my first and last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samra; I'm happy you like it, even before I put the star on! You saw this before I realized I forgot to add the star, and I'm thinking I liked it better before embellishment, too! Oh, well!

      I happen to love using every single last Tim Holtz product I've ever purchased (or won--I've been incredibly lucky!) over and over again, so I consider them to be an investment. Because I LOVE to upcycle, recycle, and alter things, the Distress products are an especially great investment--I use them a lot to repair things I buy and sell for the movie industry here. It's the stamps that I have to really think about purchasing, to be sure they are an image I will use a lot. As for the tags, I love trying out the techniques, and if it's not fun for me or I have to purchase things I won't ever use again, I allow myself to skip it. So far, this being my first year, that hasn't happened. I made last year's tags this year, all at one time, just to try out all the techniques.

      I see from your work, you are doing fantastic things with the TH products you've invested in! Keep up the fabulous work! You could always use just what you have for the tags--it's more about the technique! The inks work great as "markers". Just swipe your brush over the ink pad, or dab the ink pad on your craft sheet,and you've got the same thing! I don't own a pumice stone marker--I used the ink pad and a waterbrush to get my shadow.

      Oh, my this is what happens when I get up early and drink too much coffee! Have a wonderful day, and BIG hugs!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful tag Sara, love your butterfly and brilliant you are to use the holes on Tim's ruler for your stitching! Take care of your back, that must have been one wild Easter egg hunt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! That ruler is THE best Tim Holtz product I own!

      My back will be fine, as long as I know what not to do! Pulling out the old clunker for one run around a tag is one of those things! Yes, it was fight to the death for those Easter eggs! My 16 year old daughter took over the hiding of the eggs this year, and my husband and I hunted, for a twist! We got a little playful, pushing and shoving each other, I lost my balance and fell backwards into our woodpile. I was pulling out splinters forever, it seems! My husband tried to save me, and pulled my arm, so I also got a nasty tendinitis! Getting old stinks!

      Delete
  3. Your take on Tim's April tag is awesome, Sara! Great idea to use a ruler for your stitching! I love your butterfly and your color choice! Amazing tag, my friend! Love it, especially because you didn't use all the supplies Tim used! The easiest way is to copy his tag as some people do but I don't like it. So, you did a great job!
    Big hugs :)
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, Branka! This means so much to me! I enjoy making Tim's cards, to learn and practice his techniques, but a direct copy doesn't work for me, either! I do enjoy the challenge of trying to emulate his tag, though, with what I have, and love that Tim welcomes us to do so! Big Hugs!

      Delete
  4. You may not have had the stamps or dies but you have created an exquisite tag Sara, I love everything about it - especially the gorgeous perspective butterfly and the beautiful darker background tag.

    Thanks so much for sharing your art with us at Inspiration Journal too! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! What a wonderful compliment to read this morning! It really made my day start out right! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. So fantabulous! I like your tag more than the original. Awesome sauce! The layered butterfly is Amazeballs and the colors, oohhhhh the colors, are divine. Wonderful creative make my dearie. Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Punkin! You just put a huge smile on my face this morning! Hugs!

      Delete
  6. Wow!!!!! This is a winner for sure, I think this is so beautiful and that butterfly is just gorgeous!! Great job Sara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Georgie!!!! I love that your like it, and I will do everything in my power to get you on the selecting committee over at Tim's place! Ha! Ha! Thanks for all your tremendous support! Hugs!

      Delete
  7. GORGEOUS!! You are really making me want to buy that stamp set Sara!! I've been refraining, but you make it look so enticing!! Love your colours and the wonderful vintage feel to this! Best take on Tim's tag this month as far as I'm concerned! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this amazing compliment, Pamellia! It's always fun to throw my name in the hat! And I know you would do some great things with this stamp set--I can't wait to see! Big hugs!

      Delete
  8. A beautiful tag, love the gorgeous butterfly and all the lovely colours. Thanks for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments this fortnight.
    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, Sandy, for this wonderful compliment!

      Delete
  9. It's stunning! Your butterfly is amazing. Love how you coloured it and it looks just smashing! Really lovely! Thanks for joining us over at AUD sentiments.
    Love n hugs
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie, for this sweet comment! It really made my day!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful tag, Sara! I really like the addition of the butterfly. I'm glad to see that you've linked this to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Thank you for that!
    ~Michelle

    P.S. I just became your newest follower. I've really enjoyed seeing your projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle, for another happy comment! I'm so pleased you have decided to follow my blog, and that you've enjoyed your visit!

      Delete
  11. I like it when you use your own stamps, it adds individuality and excitement to your creations. I don't enjoy seeing like for like either so well done for producing a clever and beautiful Tag. More bright colours and i do enjoy your blog.

    Thank you for joining in with our challenge and good luck.

    Mo :-) xxx
    DT MMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mo! Your comment means worlds to me, as I like to stretch my creative abilities, and it is so good to be recognized for that. I'm so happy you enjoy visiting my blog!

      Delete
  12. Great tag! Thanks for visiting my blog. I use crackle glaze from DecoArt Media, and if I want a more vintage look, the 2 component glaze from Lefranc & Bourgeois. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information and the nice compliment! Hug!

      Delete
  13. A great interpretation of Tim's tag, Sara - I love the 3d butterfly. Thanx for sharing with us at Fantasy Stampers.
    Hugz, Jan (DT) xx
    http://jaybescraftybitz.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I love how Tim takes us through his process, and we can do what we want with it! Hugs!

      Delete
  14. Fabulous tag designs.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully made - really love all the details and photos you added.

    Thanks for joining us at Fantasy Stampers.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! I'm happy you enjoyed the details--it was a fun technique to try!

      Delete
  16. I love the butterfly, beautiful layering. Thank you for joining in with our challenge at ASOI this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this sweet comment! :):)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.