Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Mixed Media Metallic

 A big hello to my latest followers and a big hug to all the ones who've been along for awhile enabling  supporting my crafty endeavors.

I was inspired by the one and only Branka of Vintage Handmade in the making of this card.  I love her frequent use of metallic elements,  so I've included a few of my own here. Many of the elements are "leftovers" from previous projects, so I can't go into much detail on them (thank goodness, right?). I did alter them a little, so they would coordinate. Please click on any photo for a closer view.


 I've created a masterboard using DecoArt paints and crackle medium, and Perfect Pearls powder. I stamped a Stampin' Up chicken wire image in Rusty Hinge Distress paint. The chicken wire doesn't show up well  after dry embossing. I embossed a panel of the masterboard with Tim Holtz Texture Fade for my back layer. I also used a piece of the same masterboard for one of my butterflies (Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers), and embossed that with another Texture Fade. Both pieces were sanded down to the bottom paint layer after embossing and additional Distress paint added to high light the raised areas. These shots were taken before embossing; same sheet, different light, and oh, so shimmery! The top photo taken in bright sunlight, the bottom in dappled shade.



The grey background panel was given some texture by applying texture paste through a homemade brick stencil.  I used that same stencil using Distress ink to give more depth, and stamped  Tim Holtz script (Urban Grunge) in  sepia Archival ink. I added some Flower Soft for texture and color, and some Tissue tape, most of which is covered up. A spritz of Vintage Photo Distress ink spray, and more Distress ink blended on to highlight the bricks. A final spritz and flick with water to give even more of a rainy appearance. You can see a few tiny, shiny "raindrops" (Raindrops on Roses it says on the jar--probably picked them up at a yardsale.) on the bricks and leaves.  I also used some of the "raindrops" on the butterfly's body, but couldn't pick them up with the camera.


The frame is cut using Tim's Ornate Frame and painted with Distress paints, Rock Candy Crackle paint and more DPs. I used the Spring Greenery die for the leaves and painted them with Distress paint and added a "raindrop" here and there. In this photo you can see a bit of the chicken wire peeking out behind the butterfly and one single "raindrop" on the wing.


 The butterflies are from one of Tim's stamp sets, fussy cut and inked.These were left over from another project, so don't recall the name of the set.  Another layered butterfly is from the Butterfly Frenzy die, and again, one I had saved from another project. It has been stamped with a Tim Holtz Reflections stamp, and I think I may have used Dylusions spray to color.

The flower is cut from tissue paper and a candy wrapper, and who knows what I used to color them (another leftover from a previous project)...looks like a lot of different mediums: ink, paint, and Glimmer mist in all sorts of rusty colors.All I had to do was add some "raindrops". The bow is some that the lovely Linda Coughlin includes as a sweet gift in her orders from The Funkie Junkie; I just added some Distress paint for a metallic look and spritzed with water, and twisted it up into a bow.


The framed mirror in the center is an ugly pink thing I purchased on clearance to use on another project, but changed my mind.  It has LOTS of paint on it, since I colored it first for the other project and yet again for this one.  I used DecoArt metallic paint and sprinkled on some Distress Effect powders and clay embossing powder and gave it a shot with my heat gun.  Perfectly grungy!  That's a piece of Tim's Mirrored for the... well, um, mirror.  I gave it a quick coat of Rock Candy Crackle paint, and sat around waiting for it to dry. I'll accept applause for being patient.

The little ivy leaves are made from paper clay and painted many times; also from another project, so had to change the color. As mentioned above I used "Raindrops on Roses" here and there on the card to look like raindrops. These look similar to microbeads, only a little larger and so clear that it is difficult to photograph them. This is a card to celebrate a special April occasion, and as the saying goes "April showers bring May flowers"!  I purposefully chose the rusty palette because this is what the early spring garden looks like just as it emerges to the most beautiful green.

One more shot here of the complete card.  You can really see the glint of the "raindrops" on the flower and leaves in this photo. It's probably not the best shot to leave you with, since the colors are really off, but I did want to show off those "raindrops"!



I hope you enjoyed today's post, and thank you so much for stopping by! I hope to have a post or two more this month, and then something really exciting the first week of May to kick off Anything But Cute's maiden challenge. You'll see why I haven't been posting much lately!  Big hugs!

Sara Emily

I would like to enter this into the following inspirational challenges:

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #11 "April Showers" Hard to see but my raindrops are all over this! I was very inspired by Astrid's raindrops on her Journal pages to add just a few to my card.
Our Creative Corner "Color Your World" Hardly what reminds us of springtime colors, but these are the colors I see in my patch of agapanthus right now, with mostly browns, but a few green shoots peeking out.  I took a photo for proof, but for some reason it did not upload.


47 comments:

  1. Wooow, wooow, woooow, OMG, Sara this piece of art is beyond of this world! You know how much I love that rust grunge style and your creation is one of the best I've ever seen! So many fabulous elements arranged together in such an amazing way! I love all the layers there, all the fabulous metallic embellishments and brilliant techniques you used! This I call art, my amazingly creative and talented friend! Thank you so much for mentioned me in your wonderful post! I am so happy I inspired you to create such a beauty!
    Big hugs to you dear Sara :)
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Branka! You're going to give me a big fat head! I'm happy you like my card and are pleased with the arrangement-something I struggled with. You DO inspire me with your work much more than you will ever know! Happy weekend, sweetie! Big hugs!

      Delete
  2. I really want to just copy and paste Branka's comment because she took the words right out of my mouth! Starting with 'Wooow, wooow, woooow, OMG' all the way to 'big hugs'! lol. Seriously though, loving this! The textures are so amazing, I want to reach out and touch it and your colours are so rich and fiery, an amazing combination with the outdoorsie elements! I know I always say this, but this is one of my favourites!! Well done my crafty genius friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm excited to get such a positive reaction out of this card! It was one of those cards that kind of just made itself, and I was happy to put it together. It's the feeling you get when you hit the golf ball just right, and you know it's going to be a good shot. Finally! I have been feeling under the weather, craft-wise! Have a great weekend and huge hugs, Pamellia!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Sara Emily, this is gorgeous and so super artsy!!! I can see our dear friend Branka's influence there...that is so great that her work inspired you! I love all the rich colors you used to create this mixed media gem. Great art of work my dear! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samra, now this is such a wonderful compliment coming from you! You make the best mixed media cards, so it's huge that you like mine! I find these colors are my comfort colors! :) Big hugs, and a happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  4. Hellloooo! And Wowzerz, Wowzers, wowzers! So much yummy goodness to look at and take in! Those raindrops are perfect and the grunged rusty metallic looks is fantabulous! So many layers and textures to this piece, I just want to touch it and look at the shimmer! Awesome and amazing project Sara Emily! Amazeballs! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niki! There you go, putting a huge grin on my face! I'm soooooo happy you like my card! Have a great weekend, Punkin! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Wowers! Your embossing, texturing, rust looking, distressing, crackling, grungy, vintage yumminess all fantastic!!!! Thank you so much for entering it in our challenge "Color Your World" at Our Creative Corner. xoxo Happy Spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie! I know it's a different spring color palette, but I assure you, if you look at certain parts of my garden, it is exactly what it looks like, right down to the dried, grungy flower! Great challenge, and lovely spring-like work you've done!

      Delete
  6. What to add? I love the association of the colours, and the layers of different textures... Wonderful ! Thanks for joining us at Our Créative Corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lys! I appreciate your visit and your wonderful compliment! Hugs!

      Delete
  7. Stunning Sara Emily - a wonderful creation full of details and texture. Love all the layers and gorgeous colours. Having a quick catch up on blogger, been a busy week! Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki, and I appreciate that you took some of your time to visit here! I am thrilled you like my rusty colors! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. A beautiful piece of work, fantastic texture and detail, creating such great layers.
    Thanks for joining in the challenge with us at The Mirror Crack'd, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Angela! I was happy to be able to join in this time--I love making and using masterboards, but sometime just love to look at them all by themselves! That is the painter in me!

      Delete
    2. I agree, sometimes it's really difficult to cut them up and I have been known to make two at the same time so that I can keep one or scan and copy them for future reference.

      Delete
  9. Just look at all those beautiful layers and all that wonderful work you can just see oozing from this piece! The bricks and the embossed frame just look out of this world! I love your creations hun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Georgie! Great minds think alike, because I love YOUR creations! You have such diverse talents! Thank you for all your support! Big Hugs!

      Delete
  10. Goodness Sara - what wonderful techniques you used on this great card! love all the layers and textures - thanks for playing along with the AVJ Through the Looking Glass challenge! hugs, Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you, Julia! This is a huge compliment that really made my day!

      Delete
  11. Amazing work Sara as ever! Love all the metal and grunge, hugs Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan! I'm happy you like my grungy spring tag! Big hugs!

      Delete
  12. A fab masterboard for a very fab card! Wow! Great metal grungy-ness!
    Thanks for playing along with us at The Mirror Crack'd!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claudia! I really enjoyed making the masterboard--great challenge!

      Delete
  13. What a gorgeous project!! I love the shimmery metallic elements. Thanks for joining us this month at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Donna, for this wonderful compliment!

      Delete
  14. Fabulous card Sara ! Love the collage style and the background is fantastic ! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! So happy to see you on this new challenge blog!

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful piece Sara! So much wonderful texture and rusty grunge then to the gorgeous flower and awesome mirror. This is a real delight! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, what a wonderful compliment!

      Delete
  16. Love this so much! Beautiful! Thank you for joining us over at The Mirror Crack'd... xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you like it, Rita Marie! I just realized the mirror is just perfect for the title of your challenge blog!

      Delete
  17. Wow!! Lots of Tim details/products Sara with stunning effects. Love that flower and your mirror looks fabulous too.
    A great make for Julia's challenge theme at AVJ this month.

    TFS and crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie! What a wonderful compliment! You've really made my day!

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous effects, Awesome!! Thanks for playing along with us at The Mirror Crack'd!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great card with such rich colours and fabulous composition. Love your altered mirror at the heart of it! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! What a lovely compliment!

      Delete
  20. Beautiful card! Love the colors and texture. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super card and a great use of leftovers, many thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils..
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. your masterboard is awesome! love every detail:0)
    thanks for joining our challenge at TMC!
    grtz Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Yolanda! I loved the challenge of making a masterboard, and finding ways to incorporate it. Now I have some left for more projects!

      Delete
  23. Goodness how wonderful. I love those rusty colours. Thank you for joining in with our challenge at ASOI this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaine! so sorry I missed this comment! I tried to leave one on your blog to let you know how much I appreciate your comments, but commenting is closed! Hope you had a great trek across the mountains, and you are not lost!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.