Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Bright For a Change

Hello, everyone!  Here's a quick post of a bright birthday card I made for my sister.  She loves green, bright things, and books, so I've included each of these in this piece. I don't usually make "bright", and it takes me way out of my comfort zone. But I wanted to join in the fun at Mixed Media World in their Use Bright Colours challenge.


  I tore out a dictionary page for the back layer, added Gelatos around the edge, and spread the color a little with water on my finger.

Next I used a Dylusions stencil and laid down a mono print using Dylusions spray on water color paper. I stamped a Stampendous rannuculus image in Archival ink and colored it in using Dylusions sprays in a water pen.  I love the brightness and the translucency--you can see the mono print letters right through the flowers. When I opened my pink waterpen, it splattered all over my work space.  I love the happy accident on the background! It reminds me of raindrops. I added a little Tumbled Glass Distress ink here and there very lightly.


Next,  I rubbed some Gelatos right onto a vintage dictionary page, stamped the image again in Archival, fussy cut some of the flowers, and glued them over the first image.  This gives some of the blossoms an opaque look.

The sentiment is Tim Holtz Simple Sayings.  I stamped the outline in Squeezed Lemonade Distress ink and embossed it with a mixture of clear embossing powder and Stampin' Glitter.  The sparkle is very subtle and so hard to pick up with the camera. I had to use this blurry shot just to pick up the sparkle.



Three of the butterflies were die cut using Tim's Butterfly Frenzy die and one was fussy cut from a greeting card. The larger butterfly is colored using 2 colors of Gelatos,high lighted with Dylusions and stamped with a Tim Holtz dictionary page from his Lost and Found set. The back of the smaller butterfly is colored using Perfect Pearls powders mixed with PPA.


I hope you enjoyed this post, and I appreciate any comments you might leave. Have a bright day! Hugs!

Sara Emily

I would like to enter this into the following inspiring challenges:

Mixed Media World "Use Bright Colours"

Mixed Media Monthly April Challenge #11 "April Showers"

Inspiration Journal "Everything Goes"

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "Anything Goes"

Eclectic Ellapu Pink Team "Out of Your Comfort Zone" and Purple Team "April Showers/Spring" Mono printing scares me; it never turns out for me (this was acceptable) and bright colors are something I rarely use.  April showers/ spring-pretty obvious!

Creatalicious Challenges #74 "EmbossingWet or Dry" I used dry embossing using my own powder mix for the sentiment frame.

Aud Sentiment Challenge #130 "Things With Wings Plus a Sentiment"

34 comments:

  1. Brilliant Sara, - you do bright colours just as well as your usual more grungy style! I bet your sister will love this one and of course thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Astrid! What a lovely compliment! I'm sure it will lift my sister's spirits!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful Sara, love your mix of bright colours.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! I'm so happy you visited and left this uplifting comment!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous card Sara! Love those bright colors! Such a great design and everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samra! Brights really take me so far from my comfort zone, so it makes me happy to get your positive feedback! Big hugs!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love how bright and pretty this is, this would brighten anyone's day for sure, hugs my lovely, Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgie, YOU have brightened my day! Thank you for your sweet compliment! Big hugs!

      Delete
  5. This is so pretty!!! Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, that is gorgeous, for someone who says they aren't comfortable with bright colours, you rocked it! Love all the beautiful layers and the pink splatters are perfect, love those happy accidents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb; this is a tremendous compliment! I think those splatters are one of the reasons I'm not comfortable with these colors--you cna't hide the mistakes as easily! Ha Ha!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful card.Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments challenge good luck Ginny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card Hun and thanks for playing at Eclectic Ellapu this month, I hope you come back soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card. Thanks for playing at MMMC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous bright colors!! Love your project! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you like my bright card, Lynne!

      Delete
  11. Fabulous card!
    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "Embossing” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
    Hope to see you again in our next challenge as well…

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges)
    (DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)
    (DT Come and Get It)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! I was happy to find your challenge blog and join in this time!

      Delete
  12. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Your drippage is fabulous, and that's not a thing you normally say to a person!! The vibrant pinks and yellows are so cheery, can't help but smile when I look at this beauty!! Gorgeous work my friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know how I missed this wonderful comment from you, Pamellia! Ha! Ha! about the drippage; I don't hear that too often! I'm happy the colors on my card make you smile! Thank you for your support and cheerful comment! Big hugs!

      Delete
  13. oh so lovely! i am a fan of bright bright BRIGHT so obviously i love this :) Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, thank you for your lovely and encouraging comment! I'm happy you like my brights!

      Delete
  14. "Bright" may be out of your comfort zone, but it suits you! I love this! The fun colors work wonderfully with the images. And the accidental splatters gave it an artistic feel. A truly Happy Accident! Thank you for sharing your work with us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. it was fun visiting your blog today!

    ~Michelle

    http://www.michellezerull.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle, for this amazing compliment! I'm happy you like my card and my happy accident!

      Delete
  15. Wow Sara - another WOW WOW WOW on the birthday card for your sister. Love the colors - they just pop!! I love the flowers and the butterflies. I especially love how you fussy cut one of the butterflies from an old greeting card. Beautiful way to recycle and reuse something. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous card (and a very lucky sister to receive it) with us at Mixed Media World.

    With smiles
    Laine Kammeraad
    DT Mixed Media World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laine, you do have me smiling with this fabulous comment! I'm so happy you like my bright card! I'm sure my sister was surprised, because I send her cards 3x week and none of them have been bright!

      Delete
  16. I just got so excited seeing your project on MMW! It's abosolutely gorgeous! Those colours are so beautiful together! Beautifully crafted! Thank you for joining our challenge at Mixed Media World! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Ingrid! What a tremendous compliment--I love to hear that I've elicited such emotion with something I've made! Love your challenge, and thrilled that I've been able to join in the fun so far!

      Delete
  17. love love love the roses! beautiful project. Thanks for playing the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, I missed this one, Melanie1 Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.