Happy 4th of July to all those that celebrate it! I was playing yesterday and made a couple of background tags. I got up early this morning to see if I could make something out of them. Here's a brief description of what I did to create the background followed by some close up photos.
I started by making the tag on the right. I smooshed Chipped Sapphire ink on the reverse side of the rays stencil and sprayed with water. I laid a tag over it to transfer the ink, let it migrate a moment before drying. . After cleaning the stencil, I flipped it and applied multi medium in matte (discontinued) through the stencil. Taking a second clean tag, I flipped the stencil onto it, transferring what was left of the medium. I removed the stencil and put it in water to soak. Working quickly, I applied Fired Brick Embossing Glaze over the wet medium on both tags, and set them aside to dry completely. When dry, I heated the glazing powder to melt.
I was happy with the one on the right, but the one on the left look liked it was headed for the trash. I decided to give it a coat of Picket Fence paint. I wiped the paint from the embossed rays, and when it was just about dry, blended it with Chipped Sapphire ink using outward strokes in the direction of the rays from the right to the left side of the tag. I was tickled pink how this turned out, but it needed some fireworks. I used a floppy paintbrush to splatter some white paint, and while it was good and wet, applied Distress Glitter Dust. While the paint was out, I splattered some onto the tag on the right.
I decided this morning to add some stamping using the Tim Holtz Glitch 1 and Faded Type sets and Faded Jeans Archival ink. What a save!
The quotes are from Small Talk Occasions -- I just dipped the white one here in Antique Linen ink and edged with Chipped Sapphire crayon.
While I chose the same patriotic girl from my huge Paper Dolls stash, they differ slightly in the way they are cut. Both were colored with Distress crayons--Chipped Sapphire and Fired Brick.
A couple of 3D Impresslits add some detail. I used a scrap of fabric along with some old Tim Holtz Ideaology Twine to finish the top.
Another 3D Impresslit cut from Metallic Kraft Stock and toned down with Prima Old White wax.
I topped this one with a strip of denim, grunged up with a brown crayon and used one of those stars with the prongs on the back from the 80's, I'm guessing. You know the ones everyone was decorating their denim jackets with. LOL! I just love it when I can find the perfect thing in my stash to add detail.
Hope you're flyin' 'em proud today! Off to make some hamburgers and potato salad! See you in a couple weeks! Sara Emily