Friday, November 16, 2018

Tim Holtz Thankful Card and Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 1

Hello and welcome! I'm still working on my Thanksgiving cards before I switch over to Christmas cards sometime next week. I can never get enough of Tim Holtz Botanical 3D Texture Fade, and it's just perfect for Autumn crafting paired with crackle.

Here are the steps I took to make this mixed media background:

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 2

Blend Distress Mixed Media Heavystock with Antique Linen Distress Oxide.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 3

Emboss panel with the embossing folder , spritzing the back of the panel with water and making three passes on my die cut machine.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 4

Dry the panel and spread randomly with Distress Crazing medium. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 5

Scribble randomly with Chipped Sapphire and Rusty Hinge Distress crayons. I blend with a just barely wet finger, really smooshing it into the cracks and crevices.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 6

I didn't take a photo, but ended up blending randomly with Forest Moss Distress ink to tie it in better with my embellishments and mat.

You can see I got a totally different look on this card just by changing up products and adding another coat of Crazing.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 7

I used Tim's older Pumpkin Patch Bigz die to cut one of the pumpkins from kraft card stock. I set aside the inner parts and smeared the pumpkin with Distress Microglaze randomly. I painted on  Picket Fence Crackle paint (sadly discontinued) and allowed it to dry. I love how the glaze resists the paint and how some of the paint started to chip off. To prevent it from chipping further and to prepare it for crayons, I gave it a coat of Distress Collage Medium Matte. When it was dry, I blended on Frayed Burlap and Rusty Hinge crayons. I used Walnut Stain Distress marker to give a little shadow to the edges.

I inserted the reserved pumpkin pieces after blending them with Forest Moss ink. I popped up the center of the pumpkin with some waste packaging before adhering to the background. Die cuts from the Funkie Foliage Thinlits set make great pumpkin leaves.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 8

Some leaves from Nature's Wonder inked in Rusty Hinge and Forest Moss,  ferns from the Funkie Foliage set and Ideaology Mummy Cloth straight up provide something for my pumpkin to sit on. The simple sentiment is part of  a Clippings Sticker. I cut a mat from kraft and blended with Forest Moss.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/11/tim-holtz-thankful-card-and-mixed-media.html Thankful Card Mixed Media 3D Embossing Tutorial Sizzix Alterations 3D Botanical Funkie Florals Stamper's Anonymous Nature's Wonders 9

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Happy crafting!

Sara Emily

These Tim Holtz products were used and can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

10 comments:

  1. Oh Sara Emily it's so beautiful! I love that background...is gorgeous! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's so stunning!! The background is gorgeous!! The pumpkin and leaves look so amazing!! I love the crackle and the colors!! It's a mixed media masterpiece!! So spectacular!! I love it!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, completely AMAZING Sara, the background is just out of this worlds and I love, love, love the way you arranged the dies, stunning, just stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card, Sara Emily! I love the technique you used on the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME card, I love your crackling, crazing, peeling, distressed goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO beautiful! I love the elegant flourish in the background and that pretty blue against the orange pumpkin.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another very beautiful card Sara, you are really on a roll. Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well another HUGE WOW from me Sara Emily!! LOVE your background - it really looks sensational, particularly when one clicks on each photo to see properly! All the various crackling mediums have taken effect beautifully. Fantastic card and thank-you for sharing your step x step. Happy weekend! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The background is stunning and I just love how you did the pumpkin, raising it up makes it look so realistic! Love, love, love this card! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Design is unique and I really like it. We offers different custom metal stamps and embossing dies. Contact us for more details.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.