Sunday, October 21, 2018

Happy October!

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/happy-october.html Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Sizzix Alterations Ideaology Halloween Autumn Card 1

Well friends, we are well more than half way through the month already! Is October the 'fastest' month of the year, or is it just me?

My sister has a bad case of the shingles, and I thought I would send her a card to cheer up her days. She's a retired 3rd grade teacher, but she still subs every chance she gets. She is truly a teacher who loves to teach, and her students are 'her' kids. She's not at all into Halloween, but she wants kids to be kids, so costumes were acceptable in her classroom. Having the shingles, she is quarantined from the little ones, and will miss the festivities as a substitute this year. I chose this group of what I would believe to be school children dressed for Halloween from Tim Holtz Halloween Paper Dolls as a focal image for her card.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/happy-october.html Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Sizzix Alterations Ideaology Halloween Autumn Card 2

I love that the kiddos have fun costumes; no scary (just sweet) witches, zombies, skulls or walking dead in this group. My sister will appreciate that.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/happy-october.html Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Sizzix Alterations Ideaology Halloween Autumn Card 3

I used Stitched Ovals dies to cut black card and some of Tim's older Region's Beyond paper stash to frame the photo. I love how well Tim's papers work together from year to year, and this one pairs nicely with the plaid from this year's Halloween Paper Stash. I cut the scalloped edge that comes with the ovals for the kids to sit on. A flash card (a nod to my sister's teaching) from the Halloween ephemera pack works perfectly as a fall greeting along with 'Happy' from Tim's Tiny Text Remnant Rubs. I colored the card with Distress Oxide inks: Hickory Smoke, Frayed Burlap and Ripe Persimmon. I edged with Ground Espresso ink.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/happy-october.html Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Sizzix Alterations Ideaology Halloween Autumn Card 4

Some strings that pulled out of a piece of Mummy Cloth I used for my Bone Collector Vignette dyed in Hickory Smoke oxide, some Nature's Wonder stamped and water colored leaves I had sitting on my desk, and a couple of Skeleton Leaves add some autumn color. Everything is adhered with Distress Collage Medium Matte.

 I stamped a black panel with Ornate from Tim's Ornate and Lace set in Black Soot Distress ink and clear embossed. I scribbled over the embossing with Hickory Smoke crayon, then adhered the focal panel to it this panel.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/happy-october.html Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Sizzix Alterations Ideaology Halloween Autumn Card 5

I wanted to write my sister a nice long encouraging letter, so instead of a standard card,  I made a pocket on the reverse to tuck the letter in.  I chose design papers from Regions Beyond and Halloween Paper Stashes and added splashes of Hickory Smoke and Ground Espresso oxides to them and edged in ink. I adhered the top panel completely, punched the bottom panel with a circle punch and adhered only on three sides to form a pocket.

I hope this project reminds you that your Tim Holtz Halloween products can be used for more than just Halloween. Happy crafting!

Sara Emily

These products were used and can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:




10 comments:

  1. Your card is beautiful Sara and such a thoughtful one too, I am sure it will cheer her up and help her recover from those horrible shingles.

    Congratulations on being in Tim's Blogworthy group, so well deserved for all your fabulous Halloween creations this year! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I'm sorry your sister has singles...I hope they go away soon. Your card is beautiful!! I love the group of kiddies in their costumes!! She will adore this!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your sister is soon better, and that she does not suffer any lingering effects. Shingles are icky! Speaking from personal experience here. LOL She’ll love your card so artfully populated with 3rd graders lol. Fantastic mixture of styles, Sara! Hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that your sister has shingles Sara. A couple of my friends had them earlier this year and it was certainly not pleasant. Hope she recovers quickly. Your card is stunning. I love the kiddies in their costumes and I love the colour palette as well. So gorgeous! Your sister will love it and I'm sure your thoughtfulness will cheer her up no end. Have a wonderful day! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your gorgeous card Sara and that’s the perfect pic you’ve chosen for your sis, I hope she’s better soon. Huge congrats on being a Tim pinworthy, whoops I mean blogworthy lol, you’ve been making some amazing cards and projects. Huge hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this card! It's just got such a great vintage vibe, the colors are gorgeous and the design is genius! It's like a hybrid: Part card, part postcard, part fancy stationery! You are so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome Halloween card, Sara Emily! That paper doll photo is so sweet--I wish I had ordered that assortment this year (too late now :( maybe next year). Hope your sister recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet and nostalgic card! I don't do scary so this is my cup of tea. Those children are phenomenal and that oval frame really displays them beautifully.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Una idea muy bien conseguida que refleja lo que le quieres transmitir a tu hermana.
    El troquel cosido es precioso, muy propio para esta tarjeta.
    Colores y detalles muy bien combinados.
    Felicidades por ello.
    Besos y feliz fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  10. An inspired idea to gather the children together into the witch's class of 2018... what a wonderful card to cheer up your sister... I hope she's feeling better.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.