Friday, October 26, 2018

A Tiny Witching Cauldron

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 1

Hello! Do you have all your Halloween decorating complete? I have a little piece of Halloween decor to share with you today. A few years back I altered an old aluminum baking pan and a coffee pot and now that I have three pieces, I can say I have a collection of aluminum witchware.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 2

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 3

Sadly, I have no before photos or shots, because I really didn't think it was going to amount to anything. Starting with this old aluminum pail (hereby referred to as a cauldron) I picked up at a yard sale, I adhered Tim Holtz Ideaology Halloween Collage paper with Distress Collage Medium Matte. Before adhering, I painted the flower and leaves on the reverse side first with gesso and then with Wilted Violet and Peeled Paint Distress paint. This looks really lovely, but I'm afraid the purple flower was too bright for this project. In the end, I covered most of it up. I sealed it all with Vintage Collage medium. I added some patches of Black Soot Crackle paint and Distress Crazing and let it dry. I especially love how the crackle paint chipped off around the top and inner edges because I didn't apply any collage medium there at first. It looks like the crusted over goo has been accumulating for years and just couldn't be properly cleaned off.  I later sealed it with more Vintage collage medium.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 4

I coaxed Teakwood and Mushroom alcohol inks to drip down the sides with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. I continued to add crackle paint until I was happy with the look. Smudging Distress Crayon accentuates the subtle Crazing cracks.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 5

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 6

This group of witches seem to be casting an eerie light of purple--Seedless Preserves crayon. The witches are Tim's Ideaology Halloween Paper Dolls, and I layered them with his Halloween Ephemera. (I bought a couple of packs of Paper Dolls to be sure I had plenty of tiny witches for my tiny cauldron.) I used one of the scalloped borders that comes with the Stitched Ovals die set to accentuate the ephemera, smudging it with Hickory Smoke and Antique Linen crayons.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 7

I forged a Halloween Word Band so it would sit flatly on the curve of the cauldron. I highlighted the debossed words with Wilted Violet paint and added crackle paint to the edges. The little knots are Ideaology Trimmings Solid Paper String. I love this stuff. Just wet it, and it is easily moldable to any form you wish. I adhered the word band over a bit of Ideaology Mummy Cloth colored with Hickory Smoke Distress Oxide ink and whatever black ink/crayon that was left on my fingers.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 8

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 9

On the back, I adhered some creepy Tangle Twigs die cut from kraft paper and dripped with Black Soot crackle paint. Although this paint has been discontinued, you could substitute with Clear Rock Candy Crackle paint over Black Soot paint. A flash card from the ephemera pack was die cut with Ticket Booth Framelits, colored with Old Paper Oxide ink and Ground Espresso Distress ink and edged with more crackle paint. I splattered the cauldron with Black Soot paint and my Ideaology Splatter Brush, and then I once more sealed the entire cauldron with Vintage Collage medium.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 10

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 11

I adorned the handles with a bit of Mummy Cloth, altered Boneyard Bones, a pair of crackled vials and a creepy charm from The Funkie Junkie Boutique. The charm was altered with Picket Fence Distress paint and smudged with Black Soot crayon.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 12

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 13

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 14

Here's a close up of the bottles before I tied them on. I coated them with collage medium, then with Clear Rock Candy Crackle paint and Black Soot crayon,  making sure each layer dried before adding the next.  On one of the ampuls,  I used an older Halloween Remnant Rub and filled with a poisonous mixture of glycerin and Twisted Citron Distress Spray stain. To make the  magic crystals in the other vial, I colored rock salt with alcohol inks. I stuffed the openings with collage medium and crackle paint and tucked in a piece of homemade creepy cloth from my stash, so the magic potions stayed in the flasks. (Yes, this was done AFTER I dripped the poison potion all over everything, so there's only a few drops left in the bottle. That stuff makes a GHASTLY mess!)

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 15

One the bottom, I adhered a circle of black paper embossed with Tim's Lumber 3D Texture Fade and colored with Distress Crayons and Weathered Wood Distress ink. I adhered and sealed with Vintage Collage medium.

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 16

Inside the cauldron is a stack of Ideaology Skulls straight from the package and a wisp of Mummy Cloth. They sit on another 'wood' panel die cut with one of Tim's Swirling Stars Thinlits. Underneath a circle of gold Metallic Kraft Stock to show off the stars. Many thanks to Lisa Hoel for her altered coffee mugs--they offered me so much inspiration for how I should fill my cauldron!

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 17

Look what happens when the lights go out! I didn't adhere anything inside, so I could remove the skulls and the metallic panel and turn on the tealights. I love how the stars glow on the aluminum sides!

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 17

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 18

Sara Emily Barker sarascloset https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-tiny-witching-cauldron.html Altered Cauldron with Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, Distress and Ideaology 19

I'll leave you with these close- ups! I hope you're having fun with YOUR Halloween crafting! Happy Halloween!

Sara Emily

The following Tim Holtz products were used on my project and can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

12 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah! This is just fantastic!!! I love all the layering and the coloring that you did to these pieces! Definitely my favorite!!! Great job girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it even lights up! SCREAMING!!!! What an absolutely fantastic project Sara Emily! The layers and love put into this are totally evident! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so full of fun and detail. It’s spookily delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara Emily this is WICKED awesome! I love the way the flashcard turned out and those vials and charms look amazing! Such an incredible project! Your art is always inspiring and this project is no different! Thanks fo sharing! Hugs to you! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Creepy, icky, scary, terrifying, yuckiness! LOL how do you even think these incredibly imaginative projects up, Sara? I love each tidbit of color, and amazing textures! Happy prehalloweenie hugs to you, my friend! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, spectacular...spooktacular!! I absolutely love, love it!! The details are so creepy and fabulous!! And it lights up!! It's so wicked fun!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous, a lot of very creative and brilliant ideas! Spooktacular, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always amazed and fascinated by your creations, Sara Emily. I love those stars lit up especially.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your aluminium witchware is fabulous Sara, I just love every single little detail, but mainly the skulls and bones. This will look amazing as part of your Halloween decor! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lacy collage paper makes for such a brilliant base layer around the pot... the perfect setting for your witches to gather and make mischief. Genius work on the star silhouettes to reveal the glowing heart of the cauldron, and the skulls on guard will make sure nobody steals the potion within. Spookalicious!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.