Sunday, December 20, 2020

Poinsettia Embossing with Oxides


Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2020/12/poinsettia-embossing-with-oxides.html 3D Poinsettia Christmas Cards #timholtz #3dpoinsettia #christmas 1

Hello and welcome! I hope you are staying safe and healthy while enjoying some last minute Christmas preparations. Sadly, I procrastinated on sending out Christmas greetings this year. Having been persuaded by social media to purchase more Christmas craft goodies than I will ever get to use this year, I decided to pull out one of my favorites of the season to mass produce some cards. It's pretty clear I was inspired by Debi Adams beautiful Christmas card here, although I could never hold a candle to her level of artistry. 

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2020/12/poinsettia-embossing-with-oxides.html 3D Poinsettia Christmas Cards #timholtz #3dpoinsettia #christmas 2

I made a bunch of these cards, and each is slightly different. After embossing water color paper with the Poinsettia 3D embossing folder by Tim Holtz, I colored the design with a variety of Distress Oxides and inks. I smooshed the colors onto my mat and used a water brush to layer the color, drying between some colors and blending others. While I did use different products and colors than Debi did, I pretty much just copied everything. While I love her vibrant color palette, I am partial to pink poinsettia's. After applying the color, the image flattens a bit. I  misted the backs and sent them through my die cut machine with the folder for another embossing to make the image crisp and dimensional once again.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2020/12/poinsettia-embossing-with-oxides.html 3D Poinsettia Christmas Cards #timholtz #3dpoinsettia #christmas 3

I used a couple of Prima products to add the gold sheen to the green leaves and white highlights to the pink leaves: White Gold Metallique Wax and Old White Matte Wax. Finally I misted with Distress Resist Spray and sprinkled with Diamond Dust from my stash for a frosty finish to most of the cards.

Sara Emily Barker https://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/2020/12/poinsettia-embossing-with-oxides.html 3D Poinsettia Christmas Cards #timholtz #3dpoinsettia #christmas 4

I left a few without the icy finish, and the one above I added a heat embossed greeting to the front and edged with the White Gold wax.; the others were left plain and a hand written message was written inside.

That's all for today! If I don't manage to create anything else blogworthy before Christmas, I want to wish each of you a very peaceful and joyful Christmas! 

Challenge shares:

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Ice Cold

Country View Challenges December 2020 - Anything Christmas



3 comments:

  1. Wow, such stunning cards! I love the way you used the embossing folder and the poinsettias are so beautifully painted with the oxides and inks - perfect 😁. Wishing you a Happy Christmas filled with joy, peace and love! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Beautiful!!! I also like pink poinsettias (well, I like them all but pink just a bit more then other colors). I even bought a big, gorgeous pink plant this year to put in the house. I have it in the kitchen and love looking at it often. Most years I talk myself out of spending money to buy a poinsettia but not this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great instructions! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.