Friday, July 10, 2020

Vintage Rose Cards

 
Hello friends! My kiddos are celebrating their 22nd birthday this weekend, and I made this birthday card for my daughter and a second one using the same paint colors just for fun. I chose to use primarily paint, so I could play along with Simon Says Stamp where the prompt is to play with paint.

 I used the Roses 3D Texture Fade by Tim Holtz and the following Distress paint colors: Broken China, Mustard Seed, Peeled Paint, Black Soot and Picket Fence.  I used a secret ingredient--hand sanitizer-- to make the paint more translucent and glaze-like, giving the backgrounds a more water color appearance and allowing stamping to show through.

The background on the Blue Rose card for my daughter is stamped with Peeled Paint Archival ink and the Botanical stamp from Botanical & Batik by Tim Holtz. I did this by inking the stamp and making the impression right onto the flat surface of the embossing folder on the side with the recessed image. Then I transferred the ink to the water color card when I ran it through my die cut machine.


The birthday sentiment (Tiny Text) is heat embossed with Speckled Egg Embossing Glaze over Broken China ink and edged in Princess Gold Embossing powder. This panel is layered over Metallic Kraft Stock.


For the other card, I started with a watercolor panel that I first coated randomly with gesso. It gives even an even more translucent quality to the paints. I colored the yellow gold roses first with Distress Crayons (Dried Marigold, Spun Sugar and Squeezed Lemonade) and gesso, before finger painting with Mustard Seed Distress paint. Foxing is done with Frayed Burlap ink. The panel is layered over old Coordinations card.




Everything else, including the background is done with the Distress Paint mainly using my finger, except splatters of black and white were done with paint and splatter brushes. All the raised areas are touched lightly with Prima's Opal Magic Wax in Vintage Silk. I left off the sentiment, so I could use this card for practically any occasion.

Here's another look at each complete card.



Thank you for stopping by today! Now I need to go make a card for my young man.  I'll leave you with this Bible verse which I think brings comfort and reassurance in these troubling times:

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To Him be the power for ever and ever. Amen." Peter 5:10-11

Challenge shares:
Countryview Challenges - July 2020 - Do What Makes You Happy Making a card with someone I love in mind makes me happy, as does finger painting and making creative discoveries.

These products were used and can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:
Tim Holtz Distress Paint - Broken China, Mustard Seed, Peeled Paint, Black Soot and Picket Fence
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Frayed Burlap, Broken China, Peeled Paint Archival
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Crayons - Dried Marigold, Spun Sugar, Squeezed Lemonade
Embossing Powder -  - Princess Gold

13 comments:

  1. You're the queen of mixed media! I don't know how you even think of adding all the fun layers and mediums, but these cards are absolutely gorgeous (as always)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand sanitizer?!! WOW! I would have loved to see you create these cards. I am so intrigued. They are uber gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite embossing folders. Your cards are always so beautiful Sara! Thanks for sharing with us. 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards. Just love how you've used those embossing folders. Have a lovely creative week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ! Thank you for joining us over at Country View Challenges and doing what you love !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty. A great use of the embossing folders. Thanks so much for joining our Do more of what makes you happy July challenge over at Country View x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful cards! I love how you used the embossing folder and those flowers look amazing with the sheen from the waxes 😁. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards and awesome techniques, Sara Emily! I think I will have to add this embossing folder to my collection! Happy Birthday to your daughter and son!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love that embossing folder Sara and you have used it to perfection as you always do. Fancy using hand sanitiser in these beauties!! Awesome!! I love the shimmer of the waxes and the colours are gorgeous. Was so happy to have you visit and, I know it hasn't been easy trying to get around to visit everyone. Have been very bad in that myself. Really glad I didn't miss these though. Love them. Take care and stay well. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday to your twins! These cards are gorgeous-I love the soft colours. Thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m just reading this post. Beautiful work. Thank you for the Bible verse, it’s just what I needed to see as my Mom passed away last Friday. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.