Thursday, September 6, 2018

One Last Beach Day - Shabby Card For A Vintage Journey


Sara Emily Barker http://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/ One Last Beach Day Shabby Card #timholtz #sizzixalterations #stampersanonymous #rangerdistress 1

Hello friends! It's time for a new challenge at A Vintage Journey and our lovely hostess, Jennie, has chosen Back to Nature as her theme. 

Jennie says: This month we are asking you to celebrate natural elements in your project. Think real nature in terms of twigs, dried flowers, shells or pebbles or perhaps stamps and stencils depicting these wonderful elements. Immerse yourself in the colours of the seasons whether they be bright or muted and create a project in our preferred styles of vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk.

Sara Emily Barker http://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/ One Last Beach Day Shabby Card #timholtz #sizzixalterations #stampersanonymous #rangerdistress 2

I had a lot of fun choosing my natural element and everything that went along with it. I wanted to make a beach themed card, but didn't want the bulk of a seashell. I had some dried starfish in my stash which are perfect to layer over a Seashells die cut I had left over from another project.

I colored watercolor paper with Distress oxides in blue for my background and even added a little stamping with the script from Tim Holtz' very popular Entomology set. I left the waste end of the paper on, to give a nod to the waves lapping at the shoreline.

The girl was chosen especially to go with the Snarky Small Talk sticker I chose just for this project. She is fussy cut from a Found Relatives Occasions card and colored with Distress markers. It looks like she forgot to use her sunscreen!

I've hoarded those spiky die cuts since this spring. I colored them with DOX to match the shell. Autumn and I traded dies at the lake, and I went home with a year's supply of die cuts and die-cutter's elbow. Thanks for sharing and a wonderful weekend, Autumn! You're the best!

Sara Emily Barker http://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/ One Last Beach Day Shabby Card #timholtz #sizzixalterations #stampersanonymous #rangerdistress 3

I made a frame using Tim's Postage Stamp die and Rectangles Movers and Shapers. I cut it from card I covered with strips of waste packaging paper to give extra texture. I used DecoArt crackle medium and chalky paints, Distress oxides, inks, and paints. I also used the script stamp here. While the stamp was inked up from stamping the background, I kept adding more spritzes of water and stamping again until there was no more color to stamp with.  I blended all the edges of the frame in Ground Espresso ink.
.
Sara Emily Barker http://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/ One Last Beach Day Shabby Card #timholtz #sizzixalterations #stampersanonymous #rangerdistress 4

I had to have a sandy beach for my girl to stand on, and this was made with Dirty Sand Baked Texture, unheated. I die cut some Funkie Florals 3 greenery to add interest and contrast. I sponged the starfish with white chalky paint.

Sara Emily Barker http://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/ One Last Beach Day Shabby Card #timholtz #sizzixalterations #stampersanonymous #rangerdistress 5

And here's the Snarky Small Talk sticker that inspired my entire card. After Labor Day, the locals can really enjoy the empty peaceful beaches. I probably won't run into anyone on the beach today, so I can wear this suit again tomorrow! Ha! Ha!

Everything is layered on a panel of kraft embossed with Tim's Lumber 3D Texture Fade . I spread DecoArt Crackle paint just around the edges in random thicknesses and when dry, embossed it. To get the extra large panel, I simply folded the card in half and embossed the 2 layers together. I smeared on Ground Espresso Distress stain and heat dried.

Sara Emily Barker http://sarascloset1.blogspot.com/ One Last Beach Day Shabby Card #timholtz #sizzixalterations #stampersanonymous #rangerdistress 6

That's all for me today, but if you pop over to A Vintage Journey, you will be delighted by what my fellow Creative Guides have made especially for you using nature as their inspiration. Then, it's over to you! We invite you to play along in our 'Back to Nature' challenge. I can't wait to see  what you create!

At the end of the challenge the Creative Guides will choose 3 Pinworthy winners who are each awarded a Pinworthy badge for their blog, and their winning projects are pinned to our pinterest board. 

Thank you for stopping by and for all your wonderful, inspiring comments! 

Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily


These products were used and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, amazing!! What a stunning project, Sara Emily!! The background looks so stunning!! I love the colors and textures!! The details, the image, the sentiment -- it's all so perfect!! Wow!! Love, love this!! so spectacular!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Beach themes make Sara xx The background is fabulous and really warms the cockles of your heart seeing all those amazing watery details, complete with your wonderful shells xx

    I once had a costume and hat like that and it took me right back as we had an outside swimming pool in our town !! x TFS and have a lovely weekend
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous dreamy beach scene - such fabulous texture effects and you've captured the sparkle of light on water beautifully. Love the little girl, and her words made me laugh!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fabulous beach scene Sara Emily - the colours, the background and all those fabulous layers. As Alison says you have really captured the sparkle of the light on the water. I just love the sentiment - it really did make me smile, especially when combined with that gorgeous little girl (and yes I had a swimsuit like that!). A fabulous interpretation of our theme Back to Nature this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your waste paper edge, the sand, and fun collage of shells/starfish! As always you're the best at inking up backgrounds and combining elements to create a masterpiece! Thanks so much for linking up to the Cropstop blog with your lovely creation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome card, Sara Emily! You really know how to combine so many unique techniques together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha how fun is that sentiment!! I think I've used it myself a few times! teehee
    Such a cute piece and you really put together the perfect elements to make this a beautiful summer scene(I refuse to say, one last beach day!)lol
    Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the blues of this piece, and I believe we’ve all thought this bit of snark a time or two, haha! Sara Emily, your talents are always such a pleasure to see, I love the way you combine pieces, colors and textures into lovely works! Thank you for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What could be lovelier than a day by the seaside at the end of summer. Your girl looks fabulous on the beach, I love how you did the sand, the blues are so beautiful. The snarky comment is just perfect, as is the beautiful starfish you added. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I did laugh when I saw your girls cheeky face and read those words, how wonderful to pair the two together. I think we have all had days like this hee hee!
    Beautiful design in every way, the colour and layering. Those spiky die cuts really are fab, perfectly saved.. Autumn really is a lovely lady.
    The sand is super effective. Thank you for sharing this inspiring creation.
    Creative wishes Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of a last stolen swim on the autum beach. The suit reminded me of funny stories my mum has told me including one of a knitted suit her granny made that filled up and stretched to the ground when they went into the water. The colours and texture are great and I really like the nostalgic feel of this and the humor. Im sure time spent with Autumn is fun she comes across with such a warm generous sprit online.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous colour palette Sara Emily and love how you used those wonderful dried starfish with the seashell die cuts. Great sentiment too, goes perfectly with the sly smile on your Paper Dolls face! Thanks for sharing, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this SO very much! Every single detail jumps out at me and makes me want to play and try to recreate the look. Such an amazing end of summer make. I too am not ready to change seasons... Wishing you safety and protection during this crazy storm sweet friend. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this, so many details and textures. Perfectly sums up summer at the beach.
    Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    I hope you have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is sooooo beautiful!!! love every little details!!!
    Thank you so much for playing along with us over Simon Says Stamp!! I hope you are having fun celebrating with us this very special month!!!
    We all hope to see you again this week!!

    Love Zoey

    ps. I am a bit late with commenting, I apologize <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://welove2create.blogspot.com/ Hi there Thank you for sharing your wonderfull project, love the detaills, the colors and the girl wow Thank you for sharing with the DT from WE Love To Create, hugs TErry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every time I see one of your projects with shells, I am amazed. I love the blue colors and all the dimension you achieved. I laughed about die cutter's elbow - it's a thing, for sure. Be sure to let it heal so it won't become a permanent thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First of all I hope you will accept my sincere apologies for being so late visiting . Been busier, with a few curve balls of late and time has been in short supply . So pleased to have made it over today though to read all about your fantastic creativity.
    Your beach themed card is absolutely fabulous , Sara. You have created a real gem that just makes me smile and wanna be at the beach. Love it lots.

    Hope you are staying safe . Thoughts and prayers are with you
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely , thank you for joining us at Love to Create xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.