Friday, January 30, 2015

Cupid

Hi everyone!  Today I have a Valentine card I would like to share with you. Please put on some sunglasses and try not to cringe!  I was sowing some wild oats today, OK?



The challenges at Linda Ledbetter's Studio L3 challenge us to use Tim's techniques from his book Compendium of Curiosities Vol. 3.  Each fortnight Linda chooses one of Tim's techniques from his book and challenges us to come up with an original creation using that technique.  You have to work from your own book, though, so order your autographed book from Tim's website. You'll be happy you did!

Linda has chosen The Distress Watercolor Technique Part 2 on page 40 of CCV3, and the Curiosity Crew has Curiously Watercolored some special treats for your eyes.  Be sure to visit Studio L3 CC3 and then each of the Crew's blogs to see what awesome projects they have been working on!  You will be so inspired to make something of your own and link up.  And if your project is chosen as the Curiosity Crew's favorite, you will be awarded with an awesome assortment of Tim's products generously contributed by Tim and Mario.  And on top of that Linda Coughlin, owner of the well- appointed Funkie Junkie Boutique, has generously contributed a $25 shopping spree to her store for another lucky winner!  Her store has everything a crafter could want!

I've used Tim's Mini Blueprints 2 stamp set for my watercolored candy heart and Cupid layers. I followed Tim's instructions and used all products as outline on page 40.  I stamped an extra candy heart, colored it and fussy cut.  I did the same with the Cupid word and image and adhered them with foam tape to give even more of a shadow.



For the bottom most layer, I painted cardstock with gesso, allowed this to dry and applied alcohol inks to the felt applicator and splotched them over the card.  I spritzed with plain rubbing alcohol to blend.  When almost dry, I spritzed again with water. This is a new technique for me and am pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  This make the most amazing background, and the colors will react with first the alcohol and then the water in completely different ways.  Try it and you will be amazed! I almost did not want to cover it up, so I took a photo which of course never looks as good as in person.  When completely dry, I embossed with Tim's Valentine Texture Fade and swiped with Vintage Photo Distress ink, distressed the edges and more ink.


The candy heart layer was swiped through a puddle of Distress stains spritzed with water on my craft mat and after that I completed Part 2 according to the book.  The black layer under is paper stenciled with Tim's Gothic Stencil (I really do have other stencils!) and silver texture paste.  I was rushing, so I tried drying it with a heat gun and got really neat bubbles, but again, covered up!

I've used Tim's Paint Marbling technique on the "Bingo" layer  and a spritz with my hand poured Distress stain in Brushed Pewter, then embossed with another Tim Texture Fade.  I swiped on some Pumice Stone Distress ink to tone the colors down a bit and highlighted the number 14 with Picket Fence Distress Marker.  I've included a little twine for Frilly and Funkie's challenge "Be My Valen-twine" hosted by the uber- talented and creative Pamellia.

"Love is in the Air" at A Vintage Journey, and Astrid is the hostess this fortnight. She says

For this challenge please share what moves your heart with us, be it a Valentine's card for a loved one, a heart themed project, or something else that expresses what true love means to you. Just make sure that Tim's style is evident in what you make.

So, I am entering her most inspirational challenge with my Valentine card, inspired not only by the Creative Guides but by Tim Holtz through his techniques and his products which are so versatile that even a bingo card can fill in for a Valentine!

UPDATE:  I have great news to share with you!  first please see these updated photos.  I absolutely hated this as a card, and pulled the thing apart today and added a black embossed background (Darice EF) which I swiped with silver metallic rub to highlight the raised areas.  The CS I embossed is actually the packaging from the embossing folder--this is one of those new products, by the way. Then I found a nice old frame in my huge stash--it was greenish, and gave it a good wipe down with Distress Paints and stain on the trim.  I happen to think this is a world of difference for the better.



Still bright, but I think that has something to do with my lighting, which is horrible

 The Good News (for me, anyway) is I can  FINALLY upload photos from my phone.  You have no idea what a breakthrough this is for me, because I used to have to send them to my daughter, and she would have to upload from her phone.  This was NOT good for our relationship! (TeeHee!), especially at 12:30 am!  SO to celebrate, and to celebrate my win over at Tim's blog, I am giving away some goodies.  I'm not sure exactly what yet, but I know I have at least a duplicate new - in -package--old release Tim Holtz stamp set, and a new doily stencil (Prima, I believe) purchased after I already had one--no ones ever done THAT before, have they?  Buy a duplicate of something you already have?  I also would like to include some vintage ephemera I've copied (not copyrighted) and whatever else I can find.  I will enter your name in the hat for each comment you have made on my blog since the first post in January through February 14. Draw will be on February 15th and winner announced on Feb. 16. So if you happened to comment twice on one post, as a few have your name goes in twice for that post.  I really appreciate the love you leave me, so I would like to give back in some small way.

                                                      **********************

I have to apologize for the less than desirable photos;  I was kind of short of time to create, photograph (and go through those hoops I had to go through to upload my photos) and post this in order to meet the deadline for CC3C which I'm kicking myself for missing last time. Thank you so much for taking your time to stop by and have a look.  Please know your comments always make me smile, and I'm happy to read and respond to every one of them!  Hugs and Blessings!

Sara Emily

I would like to enter my card into the following inspiring challenges:

Studio L3 Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge 20 Distress Watercoloring Part 2

Frilly and Funkie "Be My Valen-Twine"

A Vintage Journey Challenge 24 "Love Is In the Air"

The Artistic Stamper January Challenge "New Beginnings" New Mini Blueprints stamps used and new technique playing with gesso and alcohol inks and some reactives. A little bit of a new color palette for me!

Country View Challenges "Use Something New to You" Tried a new technique using gesso and alcohol inks and some reactives.  New stamps and a new color palette to try!

Inspiration Journal "Fresh Start" Fresh new color palette, new technique and new stamps used.


Sweet Stamps "Stencils and Paste"

Fashionable Stamping Challenge #90 "Numbers"

38 comments:

  1. Layers of Valentine goodness! LOVE the cupid and your watercoloring! Very artsy too! Thanks so much for watercoloring with us at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita, Just came back because I realized I spelled sowing wrong! Thank you for your sweet comment...I feel a lot better now and probably will sleep better! I almost threw this in the recycle bin! After all my grunge as of late, this seemed too bold for my comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hun, I love the boldness of this and the art journal' feel it has. Do NOT throw it... (I'm wiggling the finger at the screen) :) Your layered Cupid is so sweet and I like how you've circled 14 with a heart. This is a super card, but I know how hard it can be to come out of a comfort zone to play, so I think you did very well indeed!!
    Hugs
    Georgie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Georgie! I just flipped back here to see if this was a nightmare I had lat night or did I really just post this in a late night fog...hmmm...looks like I posted! There you go again, making me feel special about my work! Thank you for the huge compliment, and you do make me smile when you leave one of your encouraging and sweet comments. I honestly tried to make this grungy, but I think it is that candy heart that keeps rearing it's cute head that bothers me. Tail between legs...warm hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
    2. That's "last" night! :) The fog continues!

      Delete
  4. Wait, did I miss something...what 'win' at Tim's blog??? Anyway, this is just spectacular, and I am so jealous you have that stamp set! I think you underestimate the beauty of your card, I loved it even before that wonderful black panel was added! Beautiful hints of glimmer and shimmer, I just love it and the little heart to highlight the '14' is a genius bit! Have a great Sunday my friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamellia! Still not a favorite of mine, but you are sweet to focus on the good parts. Truth be told my favorite part is the trash I used for the black back layer! That's me, though, I love my trash!!! It gives me a thrill to make something out of nothing...takes me back to the macaroni and home made paste days of yore, I guess!

      The Tim win was a lucky draw for the Stamper's Anonymous giveaway he had last week. I seem to be very lucky on his blog giveaways:)! Not that I'm complainin' or anything!

      I'm happy you took note of the little heart around the number 14--it was a bugger to get that little string to stick in the shape of a heart! Enjoy the rest of your day! Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Lucky you! I really need to start entering those giveaway draws!! hugs

      Delete
  5. I really like this Sara, yes it's bright, but I like bright lol. It looks really at home in it's frame, this was a great idea. Thanks so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much, Sue! for your words of encouragement! I agree, it looks better in the frame! I'm happy you like a brighter look, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are fabulous, great job with the distress sprays, nice card design too. Thanks for joining in on the SweetStamps challenge of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxie! I'm happy you like the colors. I don't own any of the Distress ink sprays yet, but I hope to get some soon! Right now I put some of the stain into a Mini Mister and that seems to work fairly well.

      Delete
  8. That is so lovely and thanks for the background technique information, will definitely give it a try. And congrats on your Tim win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! I hope you will give the alcohol ink and gesso a try. I was very impressed with the outcome, but I think using the Distress Paints directly on card stock is much easier. The colors are not quite as vibrant using the DP, so it just depends on the look you are after. And thank you about the win..to be clear it was not for any challenge, just a draw for the new products. But so happy to win!! :) :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Sara! I actually love your card! But, I am glad you made yourself happy by tearing it apart until you liked it! Thank you for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, It's growing on me! But thank you for your very encouraging comment. I also had a good laugh at the part about tearing it apart!

      Delete
  10. Love your card and how everything fell together. Congrats on your wins at Tim's blog and Inspiration Emporium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Kimberly, thank you! I'm happy you like it and for the GREAT news! I'm going to have to go check this out! Yippee! Definitely my lucky month!

      Delete
  11. Hi Sara!! Just had to pop over and say Love this card--but Love it even more as a framed piece of home décor!! How fun is that!! Good luck at all of the challenges! I missed the CC3 #20 this time 'round, darn it! Your creation is fantastic!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shari, I'm so happy you popped in and love your comment about the card turning into a framed piece! Thank you so much for your encouragement! I know, don't you hate it when you miss a challenge you just know you could do something amazing for? I was determined to enter this time, since watercolors are my favorite! I do have a hard time with adhering to "guidlelines" , when it comes to art, but I love tryingTim's "new" techniques!

      Delete
  12. Hey girlie, congratulations on your TimWin!! Very cool grunge-Valentine! Well done, and thanks for sharing in on CC3C!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! Seems I've been lucky with those random draws lately!

      Delete
  13. Wow - yeah that's bright but I love it ! Great techniques and it looks fabulous in that frame ! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenge..Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Esther! I'm happy you like the boldness of this. And I agree, it looks so much better with the frame!

      Delete
  14. A well deserved win and this is another stunner! Thanks so much for adding it to our Love is in the Air Challenge at A Vintage Journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Astrid! What a fun challenge for me! I tried a little of everything! The win was just a lucky random draw, but I'm still so excited! I have used my new stamp set already!

      Delete
  15. Hi Sara, I thought it was a great make originally and the bold colours really suit the theme, and a great journal style background. Like you, I do love it in the frame - complete!
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Avril, thank you for such a lovely, thoughtful compliment! I've had so many positive comments on this; I know it is just that I'm not a fan of bold color right now! And I am truly my worst critic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous card Sara ! Love how you've highlighted the number 14 with a heart too ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! I'm so happy you stopped in--you always leave me with a smile!

      Delete
  18. Love all the layers and great stamping, thanks for sharing with us at FSC this fortnight
    Love
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, what a difference a change of background makes and I love this framed! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey and Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! It seemed more pleasing to my eye in the frame with the black behind it. :):)

      Delete
  20. WOW what a beautiful project! I think you did an amazing job all the way around. Looks great in the frame too. HAHA....lighting is my pet peeve too. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! It's a pleasure to get such an encouraging comment from you!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.