Sunday, July 28, 2019

A Spooky Start


Hello and welcome! Today I'm dipping my toes into the Halloween season's pool -- not quite Halloween, but with some of the colors and words you might expect at one of my favorite times of the year.


I altered this tiny panel and easel I found at a house we will eventually knock down and rebuild. I think it had a creepy Holly Hobby design on it. Easily covered with black gesso and crackled with several crackle glazes (I used Tim Holtz Clear Rock Candy Crackle paint and DecoArt crackle glaze.) I'm nearly at the end of my last hoarded bottle of CRC, and this causes me much distress. Is that even available anymore?

The Halloween Paper doll is colored with Distress crayon, and the Bouquet flowers with oxide sprays and Black Soot paint.


To highlight the cracks, I spritzed with Distress Oxide Sprays; Wilted Violet and Faded Jeans. I dried and wiped off the excess.

The die cut tree is from the newly released Ghost Town Thinlits set cut from a scrap. The quote is a Halloween Clippings sticker, the spooky flashcard and warning sign are from one of the old Halloween Ephemera packs. Crackle is compliments of DecoArt, highlighted with crayons and ink.


I even made sure the easel was crackled. There's been so much Halloween inspiration on the blogs, it's hard not to be inspired. But this summer heat is kind of putting a damper on the spooky atmosphere in my neck of the woods. I hope you're staying cool where ever you are in the world! Hugs and Blessings! Sara Emily

Challenge shares:

9 comments:

  1. I love this!! Dorothy is awesome!! The cracked easel looks so amazing!! I love your Halloween projects, my friend!! They are so spooktacular and fun!! Thank you so much for playing along at Scrapy Land, too!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Sara, I'm in!! The halloween fever has already caught me and the thought of imaginative dark and foggy nights makes me almost forget the heat here, a wonderful occupation when you can't sleep because of all the heat. I'm looking forward to your always very amazing Halloween projects!! I will share a new Halloween project every Friday, you are invited. Hugs Kerstin xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic project once again, Sara Emily! Your easel looks wonderful. Dorothy is so cute even if she is meant to be spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I'd never think of doing something like this, but it looks really cool. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love all the crackle!!! And your colors!! And it looks like CRCC is indeed still available 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorothy looks pretty amazing against the spooky background you created and I just adore the crackled 'spooky', it looks fantastic! Our heat has died down, just rain and lots of storms at the moment, but I am not complaining!! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll second and third that about Dorothy she looks like she's found her happy home Sara. You are so ahead of the game this year with this Halloween delight, that Easel/panel way just waiting for your hands to find it. I did chuckle out loud even when I read your *Creepy Holly Hobby* words.. now every time I see a HH image i'm gonna think of your words :D
    It's been Hot, humid now stormy & cold so a mixed weather bag across the pond. Time is what is catching me out at the moment, feel like my brain is about to explode with all the things i'd love to put to plan. Roll on Autumn!!
    Thanks for sharing this smashing piece of art & for the chuckle.
    BIG creative Hugs Tracey xx
    P.S Hope you find some more of the CRCC x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it when you get your spook on! Brilliant crackling, and your little girl looks right at home. I used to like Holly Hobby when I was little, but I'm not sure what I'd make of her these days. I'm off for a google search to see whether she's as creepy as you say!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool project...love the colours and textures! So super! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.