Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Masculine Sympathy Card

Welcome friends and visitors! Today I have a simple sympathy card to show you, inspired by Anna-Karin of Layers of Ink and her Winter Birch Tutorial. It comes as close to being a complete case as you can get, but I wanted to show you how to get the same look using different products and an unusual substrate.


Like Anna-Karin, I cut my Tim Holtz Thinlits Birch Tree from water color paper. I dipped the die cut into some watered down Antique Linen Distress Oxide, dried it, then applied some Distress Microglaze randomly. I wiped that to remove the excess and made some more puddles of DOX color using Iced Spruce, Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, Black Soot and some Pumice Stone Distress ink. I love how the microglaze resists the Oxides and inks. I stamped some Heidi Swapp script with Watering Can Archival ink. I gave the trees a bit of a shadow by rubbing with Distress Crayon and then wiping with my finger.


Don't you love how the blue comes from the Black Soot DOX?!

For my background, I used a scrap of textured wall paper sample. It had a coated surface, I guess to make it water resistant, so I scraped on gesso before applying and blending my Distress paints in Tumbled Glass, Broken China Weathered Wood, Faded Jeans, and Hickory Smoke.

I topped it with a Tim Holtz Labels Thinlit die cut heat embossed with a Stampin' Up sentiment on Coordinations card stock.


Inside, I included a Stampendous sentiment heat embossed on a Tim Holtz Stitched Rectangle colored with some brown Distress Oxides.

I'm sharing with the following challenges:
SumMore Fun Mood Board #15 I chose the All Tied Up theme and the trees.
Addicted to Stamps Challenge # 157 Use More Than One Stamp I used three, 4 if you count the 'and' 
sign from another stamp.

That's all for me! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day tomorrow if you are in the United States! Thank you for stopping by today and for all your wonderful comments!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

16 comments:

  1. What a nicely made card, with varying elements adding to the feel. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the masterpiece you created with your birch tree die! I keep eyeing the stencils/die cuts/stamps, but can't decide just which one I'd like! I think you've about convinced me the die is way to go!
    Thanks so much for linking this awesome card up to Cropstop - I so enjoy seeing your work appear in the link gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely stunning, Sara Emily!! The trees look amazing!! I love the faux birch...it looks real!! The background colors are gorgeous!! Love this so much!! Thank you for playing along at Scrapy Land!! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving, dear friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I am sorry to find you are in need of such a card, I am so in love with the outcome! I had laid this die out the other day to remind me to use it more this winter, isn't it funny how often you and I are on the same crafty wave length? I really appreciate this inspiration! Happy Thanksgiving to you and hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card that expresses your feelings so well! I need to make a couple of sympathy cards by sadly don't have this die - but it's going on my list! Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving. Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I do love how the blue finds it way through the black, it looks amazing - all of the birch trees look amazing and the background sky looks very moody. It is always so sad to make a card like this, but yours really is beautiful!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful sympathy card! Great job with those oxide thingies...the trees look so realistic.
    Happy Thanksgiving Sara Emily!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! This card is awesome Sara!! Your trees look so realistic .. the colours and textures are fabulous and the textured wallpaper is the perfect background. Always so sad, having to make sympathy cards, but this one is absolutely stunning!! Have a wonderful day! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara Emily, I believe this is one of the most deeply soulful sympathy cards I've ever seen. Your colors and techniques, as always, are amazing, but there is something that bespeaks, "this is temporary - time will help heal - you will blossom again". It's an incredibly encouraging card, and the sentiment is just as healing. Beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving. hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!!! Inside and out!! Amazing job! Thank you for joining in our Mood Board Challenge over at Sum More Fun. (Amy- SumMoreFun Design Team)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely and a perfect sympathy card.
    Thanks for sharing with us at HLS Anything Goes with dies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So serene and beautiful!Thanks for sharing at Happy Little Stampers, so happy you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely card! Thanks for joining us at SumMore Fun! ~DT Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Sometimes simplicity is the most powerful statement.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.