Thursday, June 22, 2017

Oh, How I Love Todays!

Hello crafty friends and visitors! I had a rare afternoon the other day where everyone was out of the house, and I had a little "free" time on my hands. So I chose to have a little fun in the Closet and make something just for the fun of it--no deadline's, no rules, no themes and no preconceived ideas. This is what I ended up with.


What's more, I got to use up some of those things in my stash I've been hoarding but have been kind of feeling guilty about letting them take up valuable space, like some thick cardboard packing (my 'canvas'), heart shaped doilies, K and Co.layered heart die cuts I've had for 100 years, some kid's jewelry and little wooden hearts.


The stencil work is done with Tim Holtz Hearts and Stripes Layering stencils and some new light modeling paste I picked up at a yard sale recently. I blasted it with my heat gun until it bubbled up. The doily is barely visible with a layer of thick gesso, the stenciling, Art Stones and microbeads. But a little of the texture peeks through here and there which I love.








 The quote is from Tim's Ponderings set stamped on a Spellbinder's circle die cut colored with Dylusions Fresh Lime spray and Peacock Feathers Distress ink, layered on top of Seth Apter's Broken Maze. I popped it up on a couple of pieces of cardboard packing. I really felt the quote suited the occasion. If you peek under there you can see I was covering up an undesirable result of stamping on Tissue Wrap. The color really took to the edge of the wrap and it just didn't look good at all. 



The background color is compliments of Dylusions sprays (Fresh Lime and Vibrant Turquoise) applied with a brush over a gessoed surface and chased around with my water spritzer and heat tool. I think it's so cool how you can get so many shades of color out of one bottle of spray! I added some high lights with gesso and DecoArt Brilliant Turquoise Metallic Lustre. I pretty much let my canvas do what it wanted to, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with the bright colors and overall outcome. It's good to just have a good play every now and then! I hope you are finding some time to just play, too!

I'm entering these challenges:
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #37 – A Year of Choices I chose #35 What's Your SuperPower. I truly believe it's being able to create what most appeals to me without any agenda or plan in mind; I'm an intuitive artist.
.

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge-Let’s Take A Vacation I've taken a vacation from crafty deadlines, themes and planned out projects and just went with the flow.

Thank you for your visit and for your lovely comments!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

25 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOW! Gorgeous make is such a bold color! Love the addition of microbeads and all the texture in the background. The sentiment looks amazing too.
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my good golly, Sara Emily, this is jaw-dropping gorgeous!! Wow!! The texture is phenomenal!! I love the little bits you added and the stenciling!! The colors are a mixture of pure gorgeousness!! And what a perfect sentiment!! This is such a stunning work of art, my dear, sweet friend!! I absolutely love, love it!! You are an endless source of inspiration!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that you mentioned being an intuitive crafter. So often with the many commitments I get myself into, I find that I have to plan ahead and cannot afford the time to sit at my bare table and think something out. Then, there are those projects that slip through the cracks and at the last minute I have to do just that. And ironically, those are the most rewarding. But I also find great joy in seeing something I have scribbled onto scrap paper transform into a piece of art, just exactly as I had envisioned. TIM, but since you brought it up... Now back to this masterpiece - OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!!! You have pulled out all the stops with this one and I am wildly in love with it. My new favorite favorite! That bold modern quite is tremendous against your brightly colored grungy background. And how you transformed those hearts - be still mine! I love love love this and could go on, but just know I am pinning and wiping drool away. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you made of these hearts, such an interesting and deep creation with a meanful sentiment. Beautiful and so fresh colours, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful canvas, Sara Emily! I've always loved that color combination. The texture you created with the various elements is amazing. I know what you mean by having things in your stash for ages--don't know what I was saving it for! lol I just gave my notice at work due to the extreme pressure there that has started to affect my health. It was a difficult decision to make after 21 years but I feel it is in my best interests. The one bright spot is extra time for crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely AWESOME! I love all the colors, layers and beads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always wonderful to have the time for a little play especially when the result is as good as this!! Good golly, gosh, Sara, this is totally awesome!!! Love the colours, love the textures and the background is just totally amazing!! Love, love, love it!!!! Have a fabulous day!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ended up with a magnificant piece of art! Just super in textures and colours!
    Happy weekend Sara!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. A real stunner Sara, my favourite colour combo in the background - such happy and vibrant colours. I love how you can see more hearts every time you look at it and the Seth maze is my new favourite die and it makes a great backing for the sentiment. Gorgeous work and great that you got some 'me' time! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun and fresh "summer steampunk" make, Sara! Love your cross-over project and the fab textures!
    Thank you for joining in our challenge over at SASPC!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible layers and textures. Thanks for using my die cut. Would love to include this piece in an upcoming blog post. Can you email me at shap97@gmail.com and let me know if that is okay? Thanks, Seth

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool-- isn't it amazing what a little free time can bring? This is so interesting with your different textures, details, and hues!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGosh Sara Emily!! Oh how I wish you were coming to my retreat! "( This is utterly cool! and utterly fantastic! Being the texture piggy that I am, I just adore everything you did here! Using up hoarded stuff and even covering over an oops! You are so creative, I wanna play art with you! waaaaaaaaa!
    hugs and love,Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a great time just playing with an amazing outcome! I love the vivid colors and textures (love those art stones and microbeads), but I especially love how you transformed those hearts! I swear I had, or still have, some of those! Next time I need to use some hearts, I know I can transform them like you did. So amazing, Sara Emily, and so much to look at and love!!! Hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. FAbulous piece! love the design, the layers are incredible and I adore how you used the microbeads! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. My go to colours, love them! The layers and texture you have achieved are stunning. Thank you for taking part in this months Mixed Media Monthly Challenge. Clare DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an incredible transformation your hearts incurred! Sara, this is wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration to combine unexpected elements? Beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness... Sara, this is exquisite! What a joy to have crafty time to simply do as your heart leads. And what a beautiful place that turned out to be! :) The colors are dreamy and the abundance of texture is spectacular. So much detail.. so much inspiration. Impeccably done, my friend. Always know how grateful I am for you. You are a blessing and a very special part of my life! :)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. such beautiful texture and amazing colours Sara - I adore everything you have done! What a transformation too!!! Thankyou for joining us at Countryview Challenges and Goodluck! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing project, beautiful colours and texture, this is really extraordinary work

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, how I love these fresh, bright greens and beautiful textures. So glad you took some playtime for yourself, and I absolutely adore the results!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Back again to say how thrilled I was to see this featured on Seth's post! Yay for you!!!!!! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love to see how you used those old hearts! I love the colors and textures of this - so amazing! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous colours, fabulous texture and detail and a terrific way to use Seths die. So happy you got to enjoy some 'me time' crafty fun. You definitely made a winning project .
    Congrats too on being featured on Seths blog - so happy for you
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  25. A breath of fresh air and some unhindered crafty time turned out tone just what you needed for this Steampunkalisciousness. Your color choices are spectacular! That SA die is perfectly used for this design. I never would have known about the tissue! Hehe! I so enjoy how honest you are. Gorgeous design dearie! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.