Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Mixed Media Art Journal Page


Hello! It's kind of exciting for me to put away my Halloween things and take a little step back in time with some old products. Simon Says Stamp says to Art Journal this week at their Monday challenge. I have a couple of art journal pages that I've kept to myself, but I thought this would be a good time to share one of them. Art Journaling is such a freeing experience, and I start with no plan in mind, allowing the experience to speak for itself.



I started in the usual way by applying gesso, then adding a bit of texture with a stencil and paste. Colors were added with Burnt Umber Color Bursts and Distress inks, oxides and sprays. The fact that the background was imperfect dictated how the rest of the page would come together.


The focal image (Stampington and Company) was stamped repeatedly first and second and even third generation with a variety of inks and on different surfaces and pieced together in scrapy layers. An old Remnant rub helps to express my feelings--'embrace imperfection' means 'have fun' to me.



Finally, I stamped a Tim Holtz quote from the old  Regal Flourish set in both corners, using parts of the quote to tell the rest of the story--it seemed so fitting. A Small Talk sticker adds a final thought to my page, and a splatter of Picket Fence paint finishes it off.

That's all for today; short and sweet! I hope you have a great rest of the week and a fun filled Halloween if you are celebrating! Thanks for taking time to stop in today! Sara Emily

Challenge shares:



6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful art journal page! I'm like you and find art journaling so freeing, having no plan I just go with the flow - it sounds a bit cliche but art journaling helps me breathe 😁. Your page is stunning, I love the colours with the patina and inky textures on all the layers, and your lady adds such a serenity to your design - amazing! Thanks so much for joining the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge and wishing you a Happy Halloween too! Big hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous layers and colors to compliment the lady! Art Journaling is freeing...lol...and that's why I rarely show mine...too much freedom...bahahahahha!!! Anyway, gorgeous art here, and thanks so much for the comments this morning on my posts...made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Anita, I rarely share mine but I love what you have done though! The colours are wonderful and I really like your whole layout, the collage effect really sets the page off beautifully and the layered lady is gorgeous. You really should show off your journal pages more often!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really beautiful page - the background is lovely with the inky dribbles over the texture and I adore the layered stamping on the varicoloured green/blue/brown panels - such a wonderful effect. Thank you for sharing this glimpse into your art journal journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is dreamy, Sara Emily! I love the way you've blended the inky background with the textured areas. And the layering here is really wonderful. I feel like I am stepping into someone else's daydream...or maybe it's my own. Either way, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.