Wednesday, May 16, 2018

#sealover Tag with Tim Holtz, Graphic 45, Prima, and Seth Apter's Baked Texture


 Welcome friends! Thank you for joining me today! It's time for the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie team to share some inspiration for our current challenge 'Surf's Up', chosen by our very creative Frilly teammate, Kathy.

Kathy details her challenge: Who's ready for a little sand, a little sun and a little surf?  Let's take this challenge for a stroll beside the shore!  Create a vintage or shabby chic project with a beachy theme.  Use ocean colors and beach images to add a fun seaside feel to your project.

Rather than seaside,  I went into the sea with my Tim Holtz Etcetera Mini Tag!


I chose the Graphic 45 Sun Kissed 8x8 pad just for this one beautiful paper to use on this project, but the pad is just loaded with gorgeous designs perfect for a beach themed album, card, folio or just a mixed media piece like this. I used collage medium to stick the paper down, trimmed and sanded the edges, and gave it a coat of clear gesso. I blended the edges with various Distress inks, going darker at the bottom. See those cute sea turtles? They are fussy cut from another of the papers in the pack and added to my scene to float off to deep unknown places in my imaginary sea. I added shadows with Frayed Burlap Distress ink. Maybe when they go deeper there won't be any shadows. 


 The reinforcing ring that comes in the tag pack was coated with gesso, and I stamped the cheesecloth pattern in Cobalt Archival ink to make it blend with the background pattern.


I made the crackled 'seaweed' in the back by swiping crackle paste through a Mini Layering Stencil over Plain Tissue Wrap painted with Prima Sparks Fairy Wings acrylic paint. If you think you see more shimmer, it's because I swiped on Prima's Vintage Silk Opal Magic Wax over the dried crackle. The sea anemones and other seaweed are die cut using Tim's Funky Floral #3 set. They were colored with Prima Coral Reef and  Fairy Wings acrylic paints. Some seaweed was cut from Oxide scraps I had laying around.


My title is inked in Cobalt archival on a piece of the business card Linda includes on those wonderful little thank you gifts she sends along with your Funkie Junkie Boutique order. Waste not, want not.  I dipped it into a puddle of Frayed Burlap Distress Oxide.



The shells are die cut using Tim's Seashells Bigz die and textured using the included seashells Texture Fade. That crusty texture on the scallop shell is from Prima's clear crackle paste, and the color is from Worn Lipstick, Tattered Rose and Frayed Burlap Oxides. In real life it has a shimmery sheen from  Vintage Silk wax, but sadly the camera  didn't pick up that incredible pearly iridescence.

My ocean 'floor' is made with Seth Apter's Baked Textures, Deep Sea and Dirty Sand. (What could be more appropriate?)


I don't know if true solid blue shells exist in nature (I see blue tones in the real shell below), but I took a little artistic license here making a blue shell colored with Faded Jeans and Blueprint Sketch Distress inks, touched with Worn Lipstick and Tattered Rose Oxides. Both shells are edged in Frayed Burlap Distress ink. If you are looking for more ways to color your seashells and tips on how to shape them, please take a minute to check out my tutorial at Frilly and Funkie, where I've used a plethora of Distress products to make some realistic and not so realistic sea shells. No two seashells are alike! I can't wait for Tim to come out with a smaller Thinlits version!

All that was left to do was to splatter with a little Coral Reef paint and tie on a seam binding ribbon bow I already had dyed in my stash (pretty sure it was dipped in Blueprint Sketch ink) using Tim's Linen ribbon dipped in Worn Lipstick Oxide.


I hope you are inspired to join in the Surf's Up challenge at Frilly and Funkie. Please be sure to stop by the blog to check out the details of the challenge and the amazing sea themed inspiration by my Frilly and Funkie teammates, and then it's over to YOU! I can't wait to see what you will create!

I'll be sharing my tag with these challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Monday Stencil It I used a mini layering stencil for some of the seaweed.
The Artistic Stamper May's Creative Challenge - Backgrounds I used two stamps--one on the reinforcing ring and one for my title. My background was collaged.

Thank you for stopping by today and for all of your AMAZING comments!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily 

The following products were used and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:



26 comments:

  1. Wow I can't close my mouth ! Such a beautiful mix media work, Kathy /Sara. Love the colors and textures on the background and sea creatures. Beautifully finished and just fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Marge xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might just be my most favorite thing you've ever made, Sara Emily! It's absolute perfection. You have completely captured the beauty of the sea in this amazing composition! Somehow you managed to create the illusion of all those lovely plants, shells and creatures being under water, and I'm just totally mesmerized. Your attention to detail takes my breath away. Oh, and the colors are glorious! Love, double love, triple love...love to infinity this gorgeous gorgeous tag! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fabulous tag, Sara Emily! I am in awe of this wonderful scene you created!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow! The details on this gorgeous tag are absolutely amazing! I love all the texture you included! Thanks so much for linking up to Cropstop! Do join us again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this is spectacular!! The details and textures are so amazing!! I love the beautiful underwater scene you've created and the stunning shells!! I love everything sea-related and this tag makes me happy!! So gorgeous, my friend!! I love it!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've taken me to gorgeous new depths with this tag Sara Emily! I love that paper you chose for the background, and now I may just "need" to get that funky floral set just for this purpose, my greenery dies can only add so much, but these look like they are swaying with the tides... BEAUTIFUL! thanks for sharing, always love seeing your creations, I am a total fan . Hugs ~Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sara! This is totally fabulous! You've made this G45 paper sing with your awesome embellishments and fussy cutting. I totally adore how you used pieces from the FF3 set for your foliage - genius and so lifelike! And your shell really brings the piece to life - what beauty! You always inspire me my friend. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you have EVER made anything more beautiful than this!
    Really, this is gorgeous and I am not just whistling Dixie!!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tag. I love the depth of color and such wonderful detail. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sara Emily, what a stunning, stunning tag!! I adore what you have done with the shells, they look just so real, and I just love how you used the funky florals as sea plants, so clever and fantastic use of that G45 paper! Love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I adore those turtles and had cut out so many of those little guys and yours look beautiful on this tag! Beautiful tag and the funky flowers fit perfectly in your charming underwater vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigh.... I love this so much Sara!! The paper in the background is fabulous, I love the gorgeous sea turtle and your shells are perfection! LOVE this... lots!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tag turned out beautifully! A lovely underwater scene with a shimmery touch.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every detail is amazing. My mouth dropped open when I read what all you did to get these incredible effects. What a great tag! I am eagerly awaiting my sea shell die. I hope it arrives in time for this inspiring challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tag is so pretty, Sara Emily! I love this theme and how you've got into the ocean - cool idea! I love your paper choice and the turtles are adorable just swimming around down there :-) Love your use of the Funky Florals and your shells - I especially love that pink one!! Just beautiful, Sara Emily...Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic tag, Sara Emily - brilliant use of those papers to create an enchanted underwater world. Your shell is magical with that mother of pearl sheen (I can imagine the shimmer!). I'm off to check out the shells I spotted in the previous post...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful tag showcasing those very special shells from the tutorial and the Sun Kissed collection - they are a match made in heaven when in your talented and capable hands! Love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Sara! You blow me away with your gorgeous creations! There are always so many layers and so much involved in your projects! Your tag is unbelievably beautiful! I feel like I am scuba diving somewhere off of Aruba! Thanks for sharing with us at Scrapy Land Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful tag Sara. You've created a fabulous sense of depth with the gorgeous colours and elements. The lovely papers and textures blend together perfectly.
    Thank you for joining in with our May challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a gorgeous sea scene! I love all the fun elements. Thank you so much for playing along with us in the the Stencil It Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! What an amazing tag Sara! The background paper is perfect for this lovely underwater scene and I so love those shells!!! The turtles are so fun and so beautiful!! There is so much detail on this tag it is hard to take it all in!! Love, love, love it!! Absolutely stunning!!! Have a wonderful day! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning tag. Beautiful colours and details. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful details on your tag Sara x Love the background in particular...so colourful....Love it !!

    Sending my best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful tag! I love the colors and all the elements! THanks for sharing with us at Scrapy Land Challenges! I hope we will see you again soon.

    Jess - DT
    www.freshbyjess.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sara Emily! This is gorgeous! I love each shell- especially that "artistic" blue one and each element you have woven into this magical tag! Even the business card part- made me smile- just like me girlie!
    Heck, your art always makes me smile- so do you! Jackie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so beautiful. I really feel like I am by the sea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.