Thursday, February 22, 2018

Vintage Mixed Media Altered Frame


Hello friends! You might recognize this framed mixed media vignette from my mixed media framed Focus Word 'Home'  HERE. I can assure you this is a completely different make, but the scene inside is very similar. Like before, I removed the canvas from a framed print and altered the frame.




My background, die cut Tiny House, and other embellishments are pretty much the same as my previous make. If you have questions on how I made the scene inside the frame you can find details HERE. Has anyone else ever tried to case their own work? I think it's 100 times harder than starting fresh. But, you see, I was making this for my good friend, Autumn, who commented that my 'Home' piece was a favorite of hers. I wanted to make one for her, and I had the pleasure of delivering it to her in person this weekend at a way-too-short crafty weekend. I also had the honor of meeting some of her local friends. Hi Bonnie, Hi Carol, Hi Madelyn!




No step by steps, but I can hopefully guide you through the process of the frame transformation. After removing the canvas, I gessoed the inside lip of the frame, since that would only be painted. I cut four pieces of designer paper to fit the frame front and four strips to fit the sides. The front pieces were embossed with an embossing folder, and everything was adhered, trimmed and sanded. I blended on Distress inks, splashed with some water and dried.




Using two stencils, I added flourishes with Distress ink and crayon and a bit of crackle paint, and lattice with crackle paint. I sanded when the crackle dried, and added some gold crackle paste over the crackle paint. Smudges of rust paint were added both watered down and neat. Next I smudged on crayons and blended until I thought it looked like a real vintage frame. The inner edges were colored with Distress inks and oxides, and little bits of tissue tape cover the corner crevasses. To preserve the layers, I gave it all a couple coats of Distress Vintage Collage Medium.



A vintage ruler and some vintage lace from an estate sale, and a couple of Quote Chips provide some balance and a title. I didn't realize this when I created this, but Autumn had used a similar ruler on a favorite piece she made HERE. My ruler was really grungy with years of grime and rust, but I cleaned it up a bit by sanding it. The Quote chips were colored with Distress Oxides and crayon and given a light coat of vintage collage medium.


The tiny fluff of 'weeds' is netting from that vintage hat I described and used HERE. And those 'art stones'? Ha! Ha! As President of the 'Waste Not Want Not' club, I made those from a glob off almost dried light modeling paste I found in my jar. I thought Autumn would appreciate my frugality.


Well, that about sums it up! I appreciate your visit today!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily



24 comments:

  1. What a treasure of a gift, Sara Emily! It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a treat to see! I love all the elements you used and the colours are wonderful! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, amazingly stunning!! Wow!! Your details are perfection, as always!! I love the design, the elements you added, the texture...every single thing!! This is spectacular!! I love, love it!! Thank you for playing along at Scrapy Land, too!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much LUSCIOUS CREATIVITY to be seen in this FABULOUS art work Sara. Really a SPLENDID mixed media adventure here. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friendship makes you realise a wonderful frame! I love the work on textures and details you made. Such a beautiful gift for Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful gift that you have crafted for Autumn, she must have been over the moon thrilled with it!! I love how you added the two girls, they are a wonderful representation of friendship. How lovely that you got to meet up with Autumn and made some new friends too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate so much more than your frugality my friend! You are equally generous, creative and encouraging and I adore you! I will treasure this gorgeous piece of art. There are so many amazing details to admire and I will never be able to soak it all in. Thank you so very much! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn sure is one lucky lady! This frame (and it's content) is beyond beautiful! So many wonderful details to take in and oh how I dore that colour combination! Those touches of blue are just so lovely, - I think this is definitely a new favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO beautiful! I love the little house with the cute girls in front. Lovely details around the frame!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara Emily!!! Your last two projects blew my mind!!! Holly cannoli!!!
    It is great that you linked this gorgeousness to our Scrapy Land challenge!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Paper Dolls look good anywhere don't they! Fab make, thanks for showing us at Country View Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your frame is gorgeous!! Thanks for playing along with the Scrapy Land Team!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I love this. Sara, your project jumped out at me when I was looking at the entries in the this week's challenge. It's a lovely combination of grunge and elegance. And you know I love anything with a house in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! Lucky Autumn to be receiving this gorgeous gift. She must have been thrilled to bits. I love the sweet little house and the little paper dolls in front. Just gorgeous! The frame is so beautiful distressed and decorated .. absolutely fabulous!! Love, love, love this!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous and I loved your other version as well :-) What a great gift for Autumn! I love your colors and textures - the ruler pieces are so cool! This is such a great vintage piece, Sara Emily. Love Love Love!!! Hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally Gorgeous!!!
    Wow Lucky girl Autumn! And lucky the both of you to have met and bonded so- I am so happy for you both!
    This and your first one would absolutely sell in an Etsy store and for decent monies I am sure! Excellent artwork SaraEmily!
    huge hugs my friend!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another piece of art!! Love your use of Paper Dolls and all the textures you created! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mixed media frame is gorgeous. Love all the beautiful embellishments and details. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful frame! So many gorgeous details! So happy you could share this with us at Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes w/ Dies Challenge and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous project, Sara!!! I love the light blues with the vintage browns!!! Great design!!! Thank you for joining the February challenge of the Country View Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing Sara. It's so rich in details, the minihouse, the texture on the frame, the ruler, evertyhing is so perfectly balanced! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful project....love the details! So amazing.Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautiful. Love all the great details. Thank you for joining us at the Make My Monday challenge. Hope to see you again soon. Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. It IS harder to CASE your own work, so you deserve extra kudos! Glad you got to visit your online design sister, I love visits! I've been reconnecting in person with high school classmates from 40 years ago, so much fun! Good that you figured out how to downsize your home from the first time, lol, that still makes me chuckle. Your make is awesomesauce, xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.