Friday, March 17, 2017

Celebrate!

Hello friends and visitors! I have a shabby card to share with you today. It can be a card to celebrate Easter, a new baby and baby's birthday or just to celebrate the day!


I was inspired by this sweet little Easter bunny from one of Tim Holtz' old paper stashes, the die cut "Celebrate" gifted to me by my good friend Autumn (SewPaperPaint), some flowers that were laying around on the floor (the complete story on that later), and my latest creative endeavor of making paper ruffles. I could use more practice on this!


This "flower bud" is made using Tim Holtz Tattered Florals and tissue paper, folding and rolling the spindly one on the die, floral wire and tape, tapped with chalky white paint.


Of course, I was dying to work with my Distress Oxides some more, as they've been kind of sitting there teasing me, looking so pretty and organized on their specially devoted shelf in my Closet. I used them on my paper ruffles, my flowers, buttons,and my background papers. The bottom most layer is pink card stock from my stash. I mixed up soft gel medium with DOX in Worn Lipstick and applied through a Tim Holtz mini stencil. I also blended Vintage Photo DOX on, and some more Worn Lipstick. It really was too bright for my vintage look, so I mixed up a DecoArt white chalk paint with Faber Castell glaze and gave it a wash. I wiped it back so the raised areas would show.  The other pink background paper was a scrap I tested the gel/DOX concoction with first. It's a beautiful printed paper to start with, and really a shame to cover it up.

While I had that glaze/chalk paint mixed up, I splattered some on bunny image. It looks like some got on other things that were sitting on my work top, too.


These vintage buttons are from my vast collection, and I've painted them with the chalky paint and then swiped them ever so lightly with the Worn Lipstick DOX. I love the debossing on the one I've used for a center on my die cut flower (Tim Holtz Decorative Strip Flower Garland). I tinted my button thread with Peeled Paint Distress ink.

The four petaled fabric flowers are from a flower garland I picked up at a yard sale. (They are supposed to be hydrangeas.) When I brought the garland in so many months ago, my kitties fell in love, so on the floor it sits in a little circle. The carpet square in the middle is one of their areas they are allowed to scratch (we have 3 others throughout the house). The photo below is blurry, because Biskit was getting ready to jump- she was not up for a photo shoot today. The red ball is one of their toys, and they have tucked it into the "branches" of their little touch of outdoors. The blanket behind her is Roger's woobie (my other cat, for those that don't know); he drags it around the house with him. My cats are so neurotic!


 It's their favorite place to play, and when Biskit gets out of sorts (which she often does), she sits in her "fairy circle" to feel safe.  There are always a handful of these flower petals lying on the floor, so I pick them up and save them for crafting. I painted them with chalk paint and touches of Worn Lipstick.


The little mismatched Tattered Floral flower under the button is one I had in my stash--I believe it was colored with Worn Lipstick ink originally. I wet it so I could make some gentle creases in it, but I had Peeled Paint on my fingers from dying my thread, so it came out this funky color. Weird! Oops! Naturally, I had to make it look like a plan, so I made another for the opposite corner--barely visible in the photo above.


There's another delicate die cut from my friend Autumn (Tutti Designs, I believe) tucked under the flowers. Thank you, Autumn! Such a pretty addition to my card!



While all of my photos were taken outdoors on white fabric to catch the morning sun, I took this one just as the sun was coming up in the newly sprouting grasses right outside my front door. I love the Cross in this image, which is the real reason we celebrate Easter--He is Risen!

I am sharing this card with the following challenges:
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #34-Buttons I felt rather cheesy using just one button on my last entry, so I had to dig deeper into my stash and use some more. Not easy, as I am a button hoarder!
Frilly and Funkie-You've Got to Know When to Fold "em" Well, lookie there! Perfect theme for my folded ruffles, creased paper flowers, lots of folding and creasing to distress my paper edges, and one single folded fabric (pure white) flower at the upper left, added at the last minute because it needed something. Kathy, were you reading my mind, or was I reading yours, when I started this a couple days ago?
Country View Challenges-March 2017-Inspired by Tim Holtz Even when I'm having a frilly moment, I'm still inspired by the King of Grunge! This time, by his products-new and old.

Thank you so much for visiting today and for all your lovely comments! They make my day!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

31 comments:

  1. What a lovely frilly card Sara Emily...lots of great layers all around a sweet bunny. It's perfect for our Inspired by Tim Holtz challenge over at COuntry View. Thanks so much for joining us. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely! Shabby deliciousness! You really brought that TH image to life. I love how you used these pretty dies, so glad they are put to good use! ;0 This is so amazing and inspiring, thanks my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well look at you in the SSS spotlight again! You should take residence my friend and continue to inspire us all! ;0 Love this beautiful make. Hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  3. Look at all those luscious layers! This card is frilly in all the right ways. Love all the extra bits of textural elements you added. Beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The image is wonderful and you have surrounded it with such beauty, I love your shabby layers and the gorgeous flowers, the ruffle is such a great touch too. Biskit is adorable too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a different look for you and you wear it so well! (Mind you, I'm behind again, so maybe this has been going on here for a while - hope to catch up properly soon.) Delightful shabby chic layers, and a deserved showcase for that charming vintage rabbit.

    I really came to answer your question - the crackled bottle is done with DecoArt Crackle Glaze. I gave it a coat of Matte Varnish, and then applied the C.G. with a brush and turned in the bottle one direction and another to stop it sliding off entirely, until it was lightly enough covered and tacky enough to be left propped on a toothpick to dry. Then I used Antiquing Creams and Media Fluid Acrylics to highlight the cracks - applying and wiping back - you know the score! Hope that helps xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No "in" in the second line of the second paragraph - sorry operating on about two hours' sleep today! xx

      Delete
  6. This is so fabulous, Sara Emily!! I love the vintage Easter image!! The layers are luscious!! I love the flowers and the story of how you collect them from the floor :) Biscuit is too cute in her fairy circle!! The buttons and details you added are perfect!! Love, love this!! So stunning!! Happy St. Patty's Day!! Have a great weekend, my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous layers and wonderful textures and colours. Really beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderfully lovely make Sara Emily! Love all the layers and flowers. Nicely done my friend.
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely card Sara, love all the shabby layers and the ruffled edges are lovely.
    I'm a button hoarder too - I really must use them after seeing this.
    By the way, the hugs will do nicely, thank you.
    Hugs, Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of gorgeous layered shabbiness Sara Emily and loved reading about your cats too. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely color palette, Sara Emily! Your pleated paper ruffles are perfect for the "Know When to Fold 'Em" Challenge at Frilly and Funkie! I really love this...so many beautiful shabby details and lovely paper creasing! Thanks for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sara Emily, Your card is very sweet and just in time!
    I have to tell you, to read that you have a cat who carries a woobie and another who retreats to fairy circle,made my morning!! Omg! just too funny!! Thanks for my morning giggle! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am swooning over your card, Sara Emily! It is so beautiful! I love the soft pastel colors of spring. Your paper ruffles look awesome to me, you did a beautiful job with those! Your flowers are gorgeous, and you have the perfect buttons for the centers - love that idea! Love the die cuts from Autumn and how you've added some art stones here and there. Everything is just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the story about your cats - so sweet and I love Biskit's fairy circle :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card Sara with lots of great Shabby details.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where do I start Miss Sara Emily, pride of the South. Your card is really fantastic and I know I will have to steal some of your ideas.
    I love cats so you know I love the cat picture. We had to put one of our cats to sleep not long ago - I am still feeling guilty and sure do miss him. I used to have a cat named biscuit! We still have 2 cats and they have been boarding at the vets for the last two weeks as we were in Spain and Portugal. I have to tell you - I am exhausted Looking forward to seeing the cats tomorrow though I am sure they are going to be mad as you know what with me.
    Again - thanks for such a beautiful card!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the layers after layers on your card. And it was very funny to hear how your cats "helped" you with the design. My cats are not nearly so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work on layers for a lovely result!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sara, this is such a beautiful mixed media piece! I love the soft pastel colors you worked with, and the wonderful layers. the vintage bunny and the threads add great elements! Thanks for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heheheheh - love your kitties and their stories Sara - so cute!!!

    You card is not nearly as adorable as your kitties but VERY CLOSE :)

    ADORE the last photo - I am so very very grateful that HE IS RISEN. I couldn't make it thru a minute without HIM. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card Sara Emily, love all the shabby touches, just gorgeous.
    We had a neurotic cat, we think she was part Siamese, drove us nuts but loved cuddling with us and be stroked. Love that your kitty has it's own faerie ring, lol! The flowers are gorgeous and huni before I forget again I want to send you something in the post but I can't find your email details, can you manage to email me huni, my details are starbase31'full stop'kp'at symbol'gmail 'full stop' com. I have spelt it like this in the hope that I don't get spam huni, so I hope it makes sense xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a cute kitty, Sara!

    Loving your use of buttons, and how you have some in obvious places, but that pink button tucked partially behind those incredible multi-layers looks really FABULOUS! Wonderful project with pastel colors, and embellished buttons. Love it! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous, thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Sara, it seems the little shabby chic girl in you has come screaming to the surface and oh boy, I am pretty thrilled to see her here today. lol. This is gorgeous! I am swooning over all those wonderfully distressed layers of pretty pastels, the delicate scalloped edges, the wisps of fibres, those flowers with the button centres, the subtle textures in the background, the art stones... I could go on and on. You have really taken my breath away with this piece my friend, I am bookmarking this page for future inspiration!! I hope you are having great weather and health these days. Thinking of you, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A wonderful card!! So many fabulous layers all working together so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fabulous card ! Thank you so much for playing along with us over at Country View Challenges ! Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, delicate Oxide layers and lots of folding make for one gorgeous card Sara Emily. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hahaha! Love how helpful and serious the fur babies are. Wonderful of you to share that picture with us. Hilarious and yes, I agree that your cats are neurotic but oh so fun! That's awesome sauce! Beautiful and splendidly splendid card. So very versatile and really could be used for any occasion. The Ruffles are fantabulous and so fun! Fantabulous and magnificent dearie! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.