Friday, February 10, 2017

Words From the Heart-A Quick Valentine's Day Card For My Daughter

Welcome friends and visitors! There's something interesting going on over at Country View--a Time challenge of 30 minutes or under. Since I am notoriously slow, I just had to see what could happen in the Closet in less than 30 minutes! The photo you see below is NOT what I made in 30 minutes.


I did play pretty fairly though, and gathered my materials first. Inspired by Brenda's time saving technique, I too, made a recipe. Shown below are my ingredients. As you might guess, the time consuming part was already done--the stenciled heart background was left over from my last project and the other inky red scraps were other mop up pieces. I pulled a couple of die cut frames from my bits box.  All I had to do was make a few more die cuts, do some embossing, cut a few pieces of paper and glue them together. 30 minutes? I had a recipe and my supplies were gathered--NOOOO problemo!


NOT!! This is what I ended up with when the timer went off after what seemed like only seconds. I'll list my steps below and check off those that actually got completed after the half hour allotted time.

I am submitting this uncompleted card to Country View Challenges February 2017-Time Challenge 30 Minutes or Under. (How embarrassing!) But I will continue to finish my card.


X Cut grey card to fit card blank, ink edges and glue on. (I also distressed.)
X Trim monoprinted heart paper to fit, ink with Frayed Burlap and distress.
X  Apply Versamark ink around edges and heat emboss with Frantage Shabby Pink powder. (Well, I sort of did this; looks like I missed an entire corner!)
X Cut a mat from white card, distress and mount heart panel. Adhere to back with foam tape.
X Die cut flower image from panel. (stash item, Memory Box die)
X Die cut 3 tags from scrap using Tim Hotlz Tiny Tags and Tabs die.
X Hand cut larger tag from scrap.
X Trim glassine envelope. (Funkie Junkie gift bag- I have a hoard of these.)
X Trim red Design paper to fit back of envelope. (stash)
X Emboss frame with Frantage Shabby Pink powder (oops! Forgot to heat the outer frame from underneath and all the white stuff flew!)
X Ink tags, including the tiny one from stash, envelope and edges of frame with Frayed Burlap and edges of tags with Prima chalk ink; ink glassine envelope with Ground Expresso.
X Adhere flower image to frame and add foam tape.
****This is where I had to pause the timer, get a drink and check my blood pressure! The cat is scratching at the door of the Closet, although I have a do not disturb sign up, and my hubby wants to know what's for dinner. OK, deep breath and restart the timer.
X Adhere ribbon and trim.(This would have been a good time for a glue gun...I used liquid glue, and the colors are running!)
X Adhere glassine  and polka dot envelopes and framed image.
   Edge Seasonal Small Talk stickers with Prima chalk ink and ink with Vintage Photo. Adhere to tags and card.
   Loop twine on tags. Insert tags in pockets.
   Fussy cut butterfly, ink edges with Ground Expresso and adhere if time permits. (Ha!)

So you see I did not get to my last three steps in the allotted time, and that made a big difference. Taking my old sweet time, I completed these steps and decided to soften the hard edges up a little with some fibers. I also thought I would add a favorite Bible verse (Stampin' Up) and a scrap to cover up glue and color bleed on the ribbon.

Sending out a huge thank you to my friend, Niki (Pawsitively Creative) for the Prima chalk ink! It's fabulous! So excited to get to use it on this card, Punkin'!
 
 





This Valentine is going to my daughter--she loves tulips! I chose lots of words from the heart about love and the heart and keeping it pure. Tim was a wise man choosing these words! If you are interested in what it means to be pure of heart, I found a concise article on the subject here.  


See what just a few extra minutes can do for a card?


I'm linking my completed card to these fine challenges:
Scrapy Land Challenge #59-Anything Goes I used Memory Box and Sizzix dies.

(See link above for Country View for partially finished project.)

Thank you for your visit today and for all your special comments!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

33 comments:

  1. Oh Sara Emily you managed to do so much in 30 minutes and it was worth every one of them to get as far as you did. This card is beautiful and I know your daughter will adore it for the love you put into it and the special words you used. Thanks for the shout out and trying my write your own recipe idea and thanks for sharing your wonderful heArt at A Vintage Journey and Country View Crafts xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely card to send to your daughter Sara Emily. I'm sure she will adore it and be so touched by all those words of Love. Just what every daughter needs- to know they are loved lots .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops how could I forget to say good job at attempting the 30 min challenge . I know I would experience similar if I tried . x

      Delete
  3. You are one awesome Mom Sara Emily! This is so very beautiful! I love and adore just about everything about it, it's a beautiful piece of card and love art. Seriously gorgeous.
    I only just managed to finish my tag, I could barely touch the edges because it was still wet when I photographed it. Most of the parts were coloured with very old ink pads because I knew it wouldn't dry and trying to glue things together when they are still wet doesn't work well, I learnt that last night! Have a good weekend huni xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara Emily, your finished card is spectacular, but I am so impressed with what you did in 30 minutes!! Are you kidding? I can't even pick out my supplies in 30!! It takes me so long to make a card, I couldn't attempt this!! What you did in that amount of time is amazing!! You shouldn't be embarrassed...you should be proud!! I truly don't know where to start because this is so stunning!! I love every detail!! The tulip is so gorgeous!! I love the embossed frame and the tags!! The sparkly butterfly is beautiful!! All of the layers are fabulous!! Your daughter will treasure this!! It's a work of art!! I'm so glad you linked up at Scrapy Land and DL.ART!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, my dear, sweet friend!! Happy Friday!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter will love this special valentine card you made for her, It is amazing how much you achieved in 30 minutes. I love all of the tags and the tulip is gorgeous. Thank you for joining the DL.ART Thankful Thursday Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can always tell when you do something for your daughter - it is done with a full heart - and it always turns out so FABULOUS Sara. This is such a BEAUTIFUL HEARTFELT Valentine. I love the peachy/cream colors mixed in with the pink/red colors so much. She will be touched by your message and your love. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO YOU. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With 30 mns there is no time for dithering over what die to use or which paper so preparation is key! Well done for managing this beautiful make and entering our challenge at Country View this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty make Sara Emily! So much pink, you surprised me with this color palette LOL!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did smile at the unfinished card, I could never, ever had done what you did in 30 minutes - huge kudos to you my friend!! You did an amazing job! Your finished card is stunning and a beautiful way to express your love for your daughter on Valentines Day! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I can't believe you did this in 30 minutes with all those layers and elements! I love the tulips and all the little details! Just gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with us at DL.ART Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning! I love the colors and all the elements you have added are so beautiful! Your daughter will love it!! Thanks for playing along with us at LTSCB and good luck! Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woooow, Sara, I can't beleive what you did in 30 minutes! You should be proud on yourself, my friend! Your card turned out brilliantly and your daughter is going to be over the moon happy when recive this stunner! What an awesome mom you are! What can I tell about the card, it's spectacular from start to finish! I simply adore every single inch of this romantic and shabby Valentine card! Bravo! Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sara Emily, this is beautiful and I can't believe how much you accomplished in 30 minutes, especially since there's so many beautiful elements on this card! I love your frame, the embossing is gorgeous and perfect to show off the tulip. I know your daughter will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is brilliant Sara - at the 30 min stage and also when completed - you really did set yourself quite a task - I love what you have done and I know it will be loved dearly! Hugs rachel... p.s thanks for joining us at CVC too! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha ha, when you started off with the 30 min Country View link I was like WHAT!?!? He he. I know you pine over the details just as much as I and love you for it! :) This is such a gorgeous work of heART! and I know your daughter will appreciate it greatly, how could she not! You amaze me with you gorgeous attention to detail and lovely layers, time and time again. Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours my friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely fabulous creation! I enjoyed this whole post so much because I could relate 100 million percent to your struggles with creating something in 30 minutes! That is NOT me, so I smiled through every word! And the good news is that you created something totally genius here. I really love all the different elements and layers and how beautifully it fits together. The layout is so unique and I'm sure it will be a treasure for years to come! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL!!! Oh Sara, you see, this time it's a real challenge for us as well :-))) I enjoyed to see your attempt to make something under 30 minutes!!! Anyway the result is fabulous but of course the finished card after 30 minutes :-))) Thank you for joining the Time Challenge of the Country View Challenges blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely in love with this card Sara! So many wonderful layers and amazing techniques to create a mixed media palooza! How fun to receive some chalk inks from Doc, what a sweet gift. Oh how I miss playing with new products!! Your tulip is incredible and the frame you used draws the eye right to it, so beautiful! I simply adore your little envelopes full of tags. All those sweet sentiments, your daughter is going to be over the moon for such a loving and thoughtful card!! She's a lucky gal to have you for a Mum!!

    Hope all is well with weather, health and family. I know I owe you an email and I will try to get to it this week. We've finally had some snow yesterday so I spent the day outside taking pictures. Good think I did, because it's mostly all gone this morning. The squirrels are shedding their winter fur and I fear it may be too early for that yet. Thinking of you, have a great week my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sara, this is just gorgeous... filled with love from your beautiful heart! The finished result is spectacular, as every layer of love will deliver endless sunshine. The focal point is extraordinarily beautiful and I adore the sweet layers nestled beneath. This will be treasured for always. :) Also, you did an amazing job in the 30 minutes.. I have no doubt you far surpassed at that point what I would have done! I cannot even settle on supplies in that time, although I am desperately trying to speed up my pace. ;) Thank you for inspiring us with your heart and talent! (And thank you for the Wycinanka love.. I am pretty heartbroken that it is ending.) Have a sparkly night, dear friend. :)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning !
    Thanks for joining us at Scrapyland challenges blog and good luck !
    Maryvonne DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a creation that speeks right to my heart.. thank you so much for the inspiration..

    Thank you for joining us over at Noor Design UK this month..

    LindasS

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a glorious card full of thoughtful messages of love - your inky tags are so delightful tucked in here and there with their words of wisdom. Pink, but in a really good way! Charming.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another gorgeous tag. You sure are working that heart stencil and your floral images are lovely. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your project is GORGEOUS, Sara!! I'm glad to know you didn't create this work of art in 30 minutes, because it takes me 30 minute just to choose papers-lol. I love anything with envelopes and pockets. It's like a secret little something is tucked away and I can't wait to see what it is. Once again, I am in awe of your creativity! Thank you so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sara Emily! I love all these sweet tags tucked into this lovely tag! There is so much texture, and you've really dipped into your technique toolbox to make this beauty! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Will You Be Mine?" challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sara Emily,
    Such a beautiful card for your daughter! I just love those tags with the sweets notes on each~you are such a good Mom!
    Hope your Valentine's was filled with love!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. whoa! what a lovely Valentine, Sara! I imagine your daughter was very pleased and happy with all the components and secret messages contained on the card. BEAUTIFULLY done with those amazing textures and shapes! Wishing you a delightful afternoon, hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  28. And of course lovely to have you with us on A Vintage Journey as always!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so cute! thank you so much for sharing with us at The Artistic Stamper
    hope to see you again in March !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Too funny on how much your got done in 30 minutes!! what a beautiful Valentine for your daughter - I'm sure she loves and appreciates it! Wonderful design with all the tags in the envelopes to pull out and read - thanks for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Challenge Sara Emily! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness!!!! You make me laugh dearie! I can so see you with your timer and the cat and your DH. Hahaha! Whew! What a trip for 30 minutes! I think I have to try this as well. Your design of 30 min is spectacular and I applaud everything you achieved. Your finished design is even better and filled with wonder! I bet Lauren loved it and I sure hope you told her the story behind it as well. What a great memory to have! Those little tags are the bomb! So happy you were able to use the chalk ink. Round of applause toou dearie! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.