Monday, September 5, 2016

Anything But Cute September Challenge #17-Friendship

Hello friends and visitors! Today marks the start of our 17th challenge at anything But Cute! Where does the time go? The lovely and tremendously talented Branka is our hostess this time, and she chose the theme "Friendship". I'll give you some details on that shortly, but first here is an altered mini frame I made to help inspire you.


Here is what Branka says about the theme 'Friendship'....Friendship is a relationship of mutual affection between two or more people. We want you to show us a mixed media creation that's inspired by friendship. You can create anything from tags to art journal pages, but make sure it's a mixed media piece. Let's celebrate friendship together!


I chose to make a tiny folding frame to send with my daughter to college. I thought she could put photos of the fun she's had this summer with her best friends in it to have near her on her desk. I picked up this frame at a yard sale about a month ago and got started right away. But because I'd much rather spend precious time with her, it sat on my worktable, and the next thing I know it was time to take her to college and drop her off. So you will see my paints, inks and stains have all run together from the tears shed over making this for her since she's flew the nest. But it brightens my days to spend time making something I know she will love.


This is what it looked like after giving the entire thing a couple of coats of gesso and blending my Distress paints over that. I swiped some of the paints directly on the frame, and some I diluted with water on my craft mat and ran the frame through, drying between layers, and dabbing at my puffy eyes with a tissue. From here on, I forgot to take process shots--oops! But nothing new here. I used Distress paints in Shaded Lilac and Wilted Violet and got some of those spots by flicking rubbing alcohol on the wet paint.


Next I used various stencils--a TCW stencil, a Tim Holtz stencil and a no-name one--and knifed through Ranger Transparent Texture Paste in Matte. While wet, I sprinkled with Prima Art Sugar in Antique Silver and a tiny bit of Clear Rock Candy Distress glitter. I allowed it to dry and brushed off the excess. I wish I had a taken a process photo, because it was REAL sparkly. I toned it down by adding some Distress Spray stain in Picket Fence straight from the bottle and spritzed with water to allow it to blend over the surface. You can get a feel for the sparkle in the photo with the Flourish stenciling below. This is one of those projects that just looks so much better in real life.

The flowers are from my stash and started as white. Distress Spray stain in Wilted Violet gives them their color with different degrees of dilution with water for the various shades. The black flower images are rub ons from my stash. Within the frame, I covered watercolor paper with clear gesso then tinted with Shaded Lilac, Wilted Violet and Chipped Sapphire Distress paints. I stamped a couple of flowers with white acrylic paint and used Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs and a rub on from my stash for the advice.





Another flower rub on from my stash.



The music stamps in the background are in Archival Watering Can and are from My Sentiments Exactly, the smaller music is a rub on, and the friend sentiment is from Dylusions inked in Jet Black Archival. That's a bit of cheesecloth, my homemade art stones, and a half of a Cheery Lynn die cut tucked under the flowers.



Around back, I used some designer paper cut to fit and blended with Shaded Lilac and Wilted Violet distress inks and spritz and flicked with water for that lovely aged look. I used Tim Holtz musical Tissue tape on one of the folds and another one that mentions friend from my stash on the inner folds.
A few stashed rub ons finish this side off and are ready for a few personal handwritten thoughts.







That's it for this project--simple as it gets, but a little on the time consuming side! I hope you will pop over to Anything But Cute to see what my super talented teamies made to inspire you for this challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing all your great entries again this month; you have an entire month to enter!

I would like to enter my frame in the following challenges:
Southern Ridge Trading Company- Your Favorites One of my favorite crafty endeavors is to alter an object and give it a new life. Purple is quickly become one of my favorite colors this past year, and of course, I love texture! And I made this for my favorite daughter! (I only have one!)
Country View September Challenge- Travel What's this got to do with travel, you ask?  My daughter is taking a new journey, traveling far (for her) from home to spend 4 years in a new city.
Frilly and Funkie-Floral Infatuation I tried to get this ready for It's a Small, Small World, but it wasn't happening. So thankful for this week's theme!
Dies R Us challenge #56-Summer Vacation Well, summer vacation is over and college starts for my daughter. This frame was made for her to put some of her summer memories in. I used a Cheery Lynn die.

Thank you for stopping by today and for all your lovely comments! I read and appreciate each and every one of them!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

34 comments:

  1. Wow Sara Emily! I'm not sure which is more beautiful, the frame itself or the story that goes with it! Such a wonderful transformation from blah to breathtaking! I love the soft purples with the touches of black, and that glittery stencil paste is so amazing! So many beautiful flowers and sentiments, this is surely a gift your daughter will treasure forever! A stunning recycle project Sara, and what an incredible take on the Friendship theme! Thanks so much for the inspiration! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fantastic transformation of a yard sale find by the very talented Sara Emily. Love the colour palette and the gorgeous stamps you used.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to say thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
      Hugs!
      Cec

      Delete
  3. Beautiful creation ... she's going to love it! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Summer Vacation’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Fabulous ! And Love the Purple Colors , your favourite color !
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to give you s big hug dearie! There, I did it! Did you feel that? Hehe. Your daughter is sure to treasure this for more than her college career. I would probably die of shock if my mum made me something like this since she's not the artistic type. Your words of encouragement are so true and inspirational. Easy you say? Umm, no. I couldn't do this and I have tried. This is a Sara original and your style can not be copied. Wonder if you could TM your style? Now that would be cool. The first stencil made the panel look like a trellis which made me think of your vintage garden design for our very first challenge. Totes amazeballs! Hugz to you muffin and to L as well! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just tell how much love you poured into this wonderful project Sara - it just oozes love and friendship - the words are so appropriate for a young lady off on a wonderful adventure at college and so lovely of you to encourage her in this way! The colours are beautiful and I love the pretty flowers! I think you will always be your daughter's best friend and she will be reminded of your love every day! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Sara, I know I said this so many times but I have to say it again: What a super talented and super creative artist you are, my dear! I can almost feel all the love you put in this fabulous piece of art! Your beautiful daughter is going to treasure this amazing creation forever! I adore your unique style, your fabulous colors and those sentiments are so true and wonderful! That glittery paste is fantastic and I love the way how you used it here! Brilliantly done, my lovely!
    Lots of love to you and to Lauren! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous altered frame Sara Emily! Love the colours you've chosen and the texture you've created. Thanks for playing along on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
    -Katelyn DT at Southern Ridge Trading Company

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Sara Emily, I can feel the love you put into this stunning project for your sweet daughter!! It's absolutely gorgeous!! The colors and texture are amazing!! I love sparkle and the sentiments you added!! The stamping is perfect!! I adore the back side, too!! And what beautiful flowers!! I love, love it!! This will look amazing on your daughter's desk!! It is a true work of heArt!! Have a great day my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOh, what a transformation! I love the diamond-shaped texture. How sweet to send this off with your daughter-- I wonder if she'll hang onto this forever :) (It's the kind of item that might just travel with her through her life) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your friendship sentiment and your make -- friends are truly the gold in one's life!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Sara what an amazing transformation, - out of this world beautiful, such super textures and beautiful stamping, just fantastic! It's so hard to see one's loved ones leave the nest, but she is going to adore this!

    Sorry for the lack of visits lately, but as you may know I have been away from home for two month. But now I am back I look forward to more regular visit again. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful your favourite lilac colours fit so well with this present to your daughter. Lots of love to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness sara - this is so very beautiful - it is stunning - the colour and texture is perfect - I love this! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful Sara Emily your daughter will love it and I hope will put some precious photos in there..wishing her all the best. Thanks so much for joining in with the travel theme challenge over at Country View
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just beautiful, Sara, and I love the colors and sparkle. This is a special gift your daughter will treasure. I know it's difficult when they go off to college and grow up - hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara, this is absolutely beautiful. This challenge has inspired the team beyond measure! Your design is gorgeous and the sentiment is lovely. Every facet of your creation bursts with inspiration. Your daughter will treasure this forever. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow Sara I adore this very special frame you have altered for your daughter, I am sure she will treasure it and it will be a wonderful reminder to her of the love you share between you. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely lilac and violet tones - they're so uplifting with all the lightness from the soft whites within. What a fantastic project to share the love you have for your daughter.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  20. PERFECTION - YES - it is just sheer PERFECTION Sara. Why? Because there is just so much LOVE oozing out of every inch of this DELIGHTFULLY DELICATE and DELICIOUSLY DARLING creation for your DEAR DAUGHTER. She will cherish it forever. Praying for you. j.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hello! this is amazing, what a fabulous multi fold card! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    blog-paperie blooms
    ig-2klines

    sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a pretty altered accordion photo album, Sara! Your daughter will cherish it, and remember your love every time she reads it and sees the photos. Lovely and inspiring. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful makeover! It is a little bit more shabby than I am used to your projects, so it is quite a nice surprise :)
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous gift for a precious daughter! Just love it all, Sara Emily! Thanks for your recent visits - I know you are busy! I am hoping to get back to something one of these days.... just a lot going on (all good, thankfully!) Meanwhile, I am living vicariously through you and other friends.... many thanks for the wonderful inspiration! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! What a gorgeous altered piece! Love the colors... especially since my favorite color just happens to be purple :) But this is really beautiful! I love all the different textures and mediums and the sparkle is just perfect! Thank you so much for joining us in our summer vacation challenge at Dies R Us! Hope to see you in the next challenge!!
    Hugs,
    Jo-DT
    ♥ Dies R Us Challenges ♥
    ♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. A beautifully altered frame, it looks amazing. The colours, sparkle and textures are fabulous. The panels with the stamps are gorgeous and I love the friendship verse.
    Thank you for joining in with the September challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the colours and texture to your creation
    thanks for joining our challenge over at
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
    Debbie Dt

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really wonderful project! Aren't these fun to alter?! You did a great job with the bling and embellies. She is going to love it and love the quotes too! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, Sara Emily! You really gave this piece new life! And good eye for sensing its potential at the yard sale! I love the transformation. The stamping on the reverse side is absolutely wonderful, and I love seeing all the techniques you used on the frame side. Well done, you! Thank you so much for sharing with us at The Frilly and Funkie Floral Infatuation Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely folding frame you redid for your daughter Sara Emily! Love the colors, the stenciling, the quotes inside the framings and pretty stampings on the back sides - I'm sure she will love looking at this in her dorm - bringing your love to her everytime she looks at it! thanks for joining us in the AVJ Create within a frame challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. you are done an amazing job, altering the frame - everything looks amazing, love the colour as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a beautiful creation, I love all the shades of purple and the lovely details.It would be fantastic if you shared this creation at Anything goes September link-up, Just keep on creating
    Susan xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Should also have said thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey, of course!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.