I had purchased some paper mache' eggs on clearance last year, and there they sat, still new in their package. Browsing my signed copy (see below) of 2014's Somerset Holidays and Celebrations Vol. 8, I was further inspired to use my egg with the bunny head I'd made for the felt rabbit. The artists (Lianne and Paul Stoddard) had used a wooden egg and an egg cup with a cute bunny on top. I don't much go for cute, so I ran with the idea of using the egg for my rabbit's body, but I would use my more sophisticated rabbit head. A search for wooden egg cups in my stash came up empty (I know I have a few SOMEWHERE!). So off to my neighborhood craft store, where I found these wood candle stands. Perfect! The candle stand was given a coat of gesso, then inked with my new Shaded Lilac Distress ink. I added some pin striping with my Distress markers and alcohol ink ( very bottom ring not visible in photos). I rubbed the entire piece randomly with metallic rubs and Vintage Photo ink to give it a vintage feel.
Now back to the egg. I added a few coats of Gesso, then Picket Fence Distress paint, and inked with my new Squeezed Lemonade Distress ink, Spun Sugar and Old Paper Distress inks. I tore an Easter and Easter egg definition from my vintage dictionary, distressed the edges and adhered them to the egg. I gave the egg a good thick coat of Rock Candy Crackle Paint and when dry, rubbed some Old Paper DI into the cracks. Get it? Cracked egg?!
In the meantime, on my worktop, another new clearance item I've been wanting to use...Ivy Leaf Embossing Cutters by Lisa Pavelka. The paper clay works beautifully in these cutters, and the leaves were so fun to make! I punched the leaves out, shaped them to fit around my bunny head, stuck the ends of floral wire curled around a paint brush into 4 of them, and allowed them to dry. Once dry, I painted all the leaves with Distress Paints and inks. I used the ones with wire for arms and legs. The idea to use the wire came from my good, crafty, geographically desirable (lives here) friend Sharon Marie Lawson, who was published in 2014's Somerset Holidays and Celebrations vol. 8, with her article "The Good, The Bad and the Pumpkin". Thank you Sharon for autographing my copy of SH & C as well as for your inspiration and support!
And then, a sweet, talented blogger, Kathy Clement, who I am honored to count as one of my friends sent me five sets (!!!!) of her Spellbinders dies as a most welcome gift to me. I knew I had to incorporate my new dies into my project! So, here you go Kathy! I used the Daisy Heads to die cut some scrap paper, inked the shapes with Distress inks and stains and added some gesso and shaped them for the collar and basket the bunny is sitting on.
I poked holes in the egg with a needle, and inserted the glued ends of the wire for the arms and legs. The buttons are half pearl embellishments given the same alcohol and Distress ink treatment as the rosettes. The other leaves were glued into place, and a piece of fiber from a new unopened pack of fibers (marked only with made in China) from my drawer full of fibers (how did THAT get in there?) was glued into the basket. I thought the fiber looked just like Easter grass and was surprised to glance back and see the Stoddards used tinsel in a similar fashion. I hadn't caught that detail the first time I looked at their bunny.
Not only is making an art doll completely new to me, but getting a project done well before the actual holiday is new to me as well! I aspire to make the felted bunny in the future, but in the meanwhile I'm quite pleased with this little guy. I hope this little project of mine inspires you to give a new technique or new products a try and link up to Country View Crafts "Use Something New to You" challenge.
Thank you for stopping by and if you choose to leave one of your lovely comments, I thank you for your kind words, too! Hugs and Blessings!
I would like to enter this into the following inspiring challenges:
Craft Hoarders Anonymous January Challenge "Choose Your Challenge" Paint, markers ink-color medium. Yarn-fiber. Die cutting and mixed media- technique. Wood, wire, dry embossing (daisy heads) and sandpaper-texture. Bling, flowers, and ephemera-embellish.
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #8 "Something New For the New Year" New technique--art doll, New timeline--done way before the holiday!, New products used in bold text.
Rhedd's Creative Spirit January Challenge Altered Art/ Mixed Media Only
Inspiration Journal "Fresh Start" My fresh new products used are in bold text. I'm getting a fresh start with trying something totally new to me.